ocd is bad

ocd is bad

-
Jun 26, 2020
Maybe it's my connection or I'm doing something wrong, but I get error messages that this site is down a lot, like more than once a day. Everytime it does I'm worried that it's permanent, especially because I know a lot of people here rely on this community for support. Is it the site or just a connection thing?

autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020
Maybe it's my connection or I'm doing something wrong, but I get error messages that this site is down a lot, like more than once a day. Everytime it does I'm worried that it's permanent, especially because I know a lot of people here rely on this community for support. Is it the site or just a connection thing?

Are you using the Tor browser? If so, it is usually a connection issue with Tor rather than a problem with the site itself.

Then again, the site has had a few outages, but these are typically for longer periods than the Tor connection problems are.

ocd is bad

ocd is bad

-
Jun 26, 2020
Are you using the Tor browser? If so, it is usually a connection issue with Tor rather than a problem with the site itself.

Then again, the site has had a few outages, but these are typically for longer periods than the Tor connection problems are.

Sometimes I use Tor, sometimes just a normal browser with a VPN. Tor is annoying because I can't get it to keep me logged in. Maybe that's what the issue is though, thanks for the help.

autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020
Sometimes I use Tor, sometimes just a normal browser with a VPN. Tor is annoying because I can't get it to keep me logged in. Maybe that's what the issue is though, thanks for the help.

Tor by definition won't keep you logged in between restarts, that's part of the privacy aspect.

I get frequent outages using the forum over Tor, which are always resolved by a browser restart (and re-login). I'm not entirely sure why they occur, but I'm just resigned to them really.

D

draw a circle

out.
Apr 10, 2020
I opened this site on duckduckgo on my phone and while I can see everything, I can't post a reply since yesterday. Idk if that's a crash or what because I can open it on my laptop and on another browser. Kinda annoying esp. since I'm trying to talk to someone....

Reactions: puppy9 and FusRohDracarys
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
It has crashed on me a couple times, yes even yesterday. However, my main problem was the textbox not being present thus leading to severe loss of functionality (being able to post, submit tickets, and more). I'm just glad that everything is back to normal now and that I'm able to post like I have been again. In general, I think technical issues do come up time to time and I've learned to prepare for it or at best, minimize it's impact on my activities.

CuddleHug

CuddleHug

Back, but with less enthusiasm. Hugs~
Feb 22, 2020
Last night, Cloudflare had an outage on their global DNS resolver, which affected millions of users and websites all over the world. I think they fixed it fairly quickly, but the thing with DNS is that it caches requests and sometimes continue to cause issues for hours past the source issue being fixed. This type of issue is a nightmare, because some users will experience tons of issues while others barely notice anything.

At least it isn't SS's fault, just unlucky that they rely on one of the biggest DNS providers in the world. Well, not just them, but all users who has configured their devices to use 1.1.1.1 as DNS would have barely been able to use any web service during those hours.

I don't know if the text editor issue was related to this, but it's possible if the forum relies on an external service for it. I'm not on my PC, so I can't check, but I think it's likely that it is the case. If anyone still has issues, things should go back to normal within a few hours.

Reactions: ocd is bad
ocd is bad

ocd is bad

-
Jun 26, 2020
Last night, Cloudflare had an outage on their global DNS resolver, which affected millions of users and websites all over the world. I think they fixed it fairly quickly, but the thing with DNS is that it caches requests and sometimes continue to cause issues for hours past the source issue being fixed. This type of issue is a nightmare, because some users will experience tons of issues while others barely notice anything.

At least it isn't SS's fault, just unlucky that they rely on one of the biggest DNS providers in the world. Well, not just them, but all users who has configured their devices to use 1.1.1.1 as DNS would have barely been able to use any web service during those hours.

I don't know if the text editor issue was related to this, but it's possible if the forum relies on an external service for it. I'm not on my PC, so I can't check, but I think it's likely that it is the case. If anyone still has issues, things should go back to normal within a few hours.
Yeah that's usually what the error messages say for me, something about cloudfare being down

Alucard

Alucard

Wizard
Feb 8, 2019
This site is a Pro-Life target.

• Aww..
Reactions: DyslexicForeigner
grungeCat

grungeCat

Awkward & weird
Jul 5, 2020
Site works well for me. Does it occurr on other sides too? Maybe your VPN is badly configured or you have some kind of web-based malware that messes with your internet connection.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993
strawberryfield

strawberryfield

Jul 10, 2020
it often crashes for me and i don't use a VPN or anything. it make me worry that the site has been taken down permanently when it does this

ocd is bad

ocd is bad

-
Jun 26, 2020
Site works well for me. Does it occurr on other sides too? Maybe your VPN is badly configured or you have some kind of web-based malware that messes with your internet connection.
Usually when it happens I'll try to reconnect without a VPN and it's still down. I hope I don't have some type of malware but it's possible. I'll get a screenshot of the error message next time it happens.

Uzera

Uzera

Apr 11, 2020
Can they take this site down? like is it legal to just shut it down? I figure it would depend on where the site was based right?