I

InezSerrano

Experienced
Dec 3, 2021
I always tell people to go to the hospital or maybe call a hotline at the very least, but also that of they really want to die, they should use SN or N so they don't fail and then have to keep living a much worse life. Is this illegal? Is helping people find sources illegal?

Also I hope the first part doesn't come off as anti-choice, I am pro-choice, just you should think about it and not do it impulsively in a moment of crisis.

Reactions: Toonloon and Mixo
KTbear

KTbear

This Be The Verse
Dec 15, 2021
No one here can give legal advice. Pretty sure a woman in the US got put in jail just for telling her boyfriend to kill himself.

Reactions: Mixo
O

OrcWitch

Warlock
Sep 3, 2021
I'm not sure because it varies so much depending on where you live. If you said outright "N is a better way to CTB" and then they did it, you might get charged with a crime.

I always tell people if their method is unreliable. It implies better ones are out there without telling them directly.

Reactions: Mixo and lostautist
I

InezSerrano

Experienced
Dec 3, 2021
I live in California. Thank you for the advice. I guess I'll stop being so direct about it.

Reactions: Toonloon
BrokenBliss

BrokenBliss

Invisible. Apparently.
Jan 11, 2022
No one here can give legal advice. Pretty sure a woman in the US got put in jail just for telling her boyfriend to kill himself.
You may be referring to Michelle Carter, but that was way more involved than that.

Reactions: Mixo, justsayin, lostautist and 1 other person
lostautist

lostautist

wandering
Jan 12, 2022
You may be referring to Michelle Carter, but that was way more involved than that.

Yeah that was many levels of involvement. I followed that case closely.

Reactions: justsayin, BrokenBliss and demuic
Toonloon

Toonloon

Experienced
Nov 17, 2020
I live in California. Thank you for the advice. I guess I'll stop being so direct about it.
the girl in Florida made her bf kill himself resulting in manslaughter charges. Cali it's not illegal to discuss ideas. Same for anywhere in the US really. It's illegal to persuade ppl to ctb. Like say we'll do it together than u back out and the only reason u said we'll do together and than u drop out cause you had no interest of following through ever. You just said it so they would do it. If you did genuinely mean it but lived you would face a manslaughter charge cause you were an accessory to the death.

Keep it at a thought or philosophical question it can't be touched by the criminal courts. BUT civil YES!!!! Anything here technically can be seen by the civil courts and seek monetary gains. Look up Brown-Goldman Civil suit against Simpson. They could not convict him of their deaths in criminal courts because the amount of evidence is needed more beyond a reasonable doubt. However civil the courts the evidence is less than needed to show malice and possible doubt.

So if someone has the money to spend than they may go the route of civil court vs criminal.