Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
I was at a Catholic Church a few years ago. One man droned on and on but it was actually like meditation for me. I felt so relaxed. I can still hear his voice.

Reactions: Pen>Sword, Disappointered, livefreeorpeace and 3 others
A

andme72

Dec 14, 2020
I think you should if you find it uplifting. I was raised Catholic, and it is a form of meditation as well as repentance. Buddhists do something similar and also use a beaded necklace. If your worry that you'll offend someone by doing it because you aren't part of the religion, you could do it privately? Although, I would also think most religious people would say why not pray in that manner if it brings you comfort and peace? Can't imagine god could be mad at that whether you're part of the church or not. You could also do a YouTube search for prayer chanting as well, if you just like to listen to others.

• Love
Reactions: livefreeorpeace, Isadeth, Sensei and 3 others
L

Leiden

Arcanist
Sep 1, 2020
Praying the rosary is never a bad idea ❤️

• Love
Reactions: Pen>Sword, livefreeorpeace, Isadeth and 2 others
J

justsad&done

Visionary
Nov 11, 2020
If it would give you comfort, then pray. No reason it would be a bad idea.

Reactions: livefreeorpeace, Isadeth, foxdie and 2 others
Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
I think you should if you find it uplifting. I was raised Catholic, and it is a form of meditation as well as repentance. Buddhists do something similar and also use a beaded necklace. If your worry that you'll offend someone by doing it because you aren't part of the religion, you could do it privately? Although, I would also think most religious people would say why not pray in that manner if it brings you comfort and peace? Can't imagine god could be mad at that whether you're part of the church or not. You could also do a YouTube search for prayer chanting as well, if you just like to listen to others.
What's the Buddhist version?

A

andme72

Dec 14, 2020
What's the Buddhist version?
Essentially the same as the rosary. With the rosary, for each bead on it you say a prayer, going all the way around in the circle. Other people just use it any time they pray, but the original way I was taught was you pray per bead. My family always used them in extreme cases of worry cuz, obviously, that's a lot of dang beads lol.

Buddhist mala beads work the same, just depends if you are trying to meditate or do a prayer/chant/mantra. For each bead around the necklace you can either say a prayer/chant/mantra (if you google around or do a YouTube search you'll find plenty of examples) or do an inhale and exhale breath if you are more interested in meditating silently and care less about the chanting part.

Reactions: livefreeorpeace, Sensei, Leiden and 1 other person
Mentalmick

Mentalmick

IMHOTEP!!!
Nov 30, 2020
If it works go for it.

Reactions: livefreeorpeace, Sensei, Leiden and 1 other person
MindFrog

MindFrog

:Professional Hypocrite:
Nov 19, 2020
No, I don't think so. So long as you're getting something out of it, then I think its fine?

Reactions: Leiden and livefreeorpeace
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
In my religion is about doing what makes you feel comfortable. So I see no problem with it. Of course I'm not Catholic either.

Reactions: livefreeorpeace and andme72
Isadeth

Isadeth

Visionary
Jun 12, 2020
I prayed the rosary with a catholic church I help. I'm not catholic but it's respectful and what can it hurt? If you enjoyed it and it helped with stress, keep doing it. ♡

• Love
Reactions: Pen>Sword, Leiden, livefreeorpeace and 1 other person
livefreeorpeace

livefreeorpeace

Jun 14, 2020
I don't see a problem with this, Christian's generally welcome 'tourists' as opposed to shun them. Besides, who would ever even know? Unless you told them of course.

Reactions: Leiden and Isadeth
BRAINWORMS

BRAINWORMS

dust to dust
Jul 20, 2020
Here's one baptized and confirmed Catholic gal's approval for you... If it brings you comfort, do it! Rosary beads and praying the rosary are nice meditative methods.

• Love
Reactions: Pen>Sword, andme72, Leiden and 2 others
Phill

Phill

Student
Dec 19, 2019
It's never a bad idea to say the Rosary. If the whole Rosary is too much for you at the beggining, start by saying a few Hail Marys every day till you feel more confortable with the whole Rosary. A good thing to do in the process is to read about the Rosary, you know, its benefits, stories of people who were somehow graced by saying it. It helps a lot.

• Love
Reactions: Pen>Sword
Disappointered

Disappointered

Enlightened
Sep 21, 2020
I guess it's a calming ritutal similar to repeating mantras in eastern traditions. I see it as part of the crutch that religion offers in general and think it can cut both ways. It can be helpful but then you depend on something that might end up disappointing you and not really providing you with a real benefit. That said, if it works for you then why not.
edit: i believe they also do it in islam.