N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I think this an interesting topic for many reasons. I think the concept of honor can have damaging effects. For example in Japan honor is very important. Especially in the past or till today many people commit suicide because they think their reputation was ruined. I always had a love for Japan. I also had a special relation to honor. When I was a teeanager I thought losing your honor would be a good reason for wanting to die. I had some childish and naive notions what honor means. I felt extremely ashamed spending time in clinics and having to take medication in order to maintain sanity.

Mental illnesses and especially my conditions are pretty stigmatized. Being at rock bottom was also in a weird sense relieving. It was extremely horrible and a huge pain. However I thought my reputation is already destroyed what others think of me should not be that important to me anymore. I can't change things from the past, I can't make my illness disappear. There was also a lot of toxic masculinity which played a big role in my suicidality and notion of honor. Since I have changed my perspective on that I could finally talk about my emotions with other people. This was really relieving. My bond to my best friends has become stronger. We talk way more openly also about embarrassing topics since then. We all said that this development was really good for our friendship. And this process was started by my mental breakdown.

I tried to learn since then that I should not feel ashamed for my mental illness or suicidality. Still I obviously don't talk with randoms on the street about it. But I come from a quite conservative family where nobody talked about emotions or feelings. If someone did that he or she was seen as weak. The domestic violence and abuse had the goal to harden us for the time when we will be confronted with the harsh reality (adult life). Ironically or cynically the result was the absolute contrary. I am really vulnerable and fragile. Especially under pressure.

In Japan the suicide rates skyrocket. They are way too obsessed about honor. Everyone feels sometimes hurt or just can't take it anymore. It is no shame to search for help. Not everything has to be sort out for oneself. It is no shame to rely on help. Trying to be strong for the sake of other people can be really exhaustive. It is important to learn about your own needs and how to address them properly.

Maybe the concept of honor should be modified. Maybe it should be replaced by enlightened higher values. There was kind of a sense in honor. I am not an expert but I think the goal was to live according to higher values and principles. Someone who taught me that was David Foster Wallace or Jordan Peterson. Sometimes it is admiring how people who struggle a lot still achieve things. There is a certain special dignity in that. I first had the thought if you are that fucked up (as me) you would lose your dignity. (sometimes this is true.) On the other hand it is really admiring how people fight in order to stay alive. How people try to keep their act together. It is sometimes astonishing what people can do despite all the setbacks they had to endure. Many people do amazing things for other people and barely get appraisal for that. These people don't care about artifical honor.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColorlessTrees and PreussenBlueJay
bad luck

bad luck

Memento mori
Mar 2, 2021
In this globalist and rotten world, yes, of course. Honor is no longer worth anything.

Reactions: Chiisai and PreussenBlueJay
symphony

symphony

surving hour-by-hour
Mar 12, 2022
62426715.jpg

• Yay!
Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime and Dr Iron Arc
Bootleg Astolfo

Bootleg Astolfo

Glorious Bean Plushie
Oct 12, 2020
Honor's useless, this poor man's fate is the same weither or not you play with high honor or low honor. He does get slightly cooler outfits at high honor though.
32b4d00a374c05d49f474a798fd8a83e.jpg

• Yay!
Reactions: PreussenBlueJay, WrongPlaceWrongTime and GrumpyFrog
PreussenBlueJay

PreussenBlueJay

Too short for Frederick William I’s Guards
Jan 18, 2022
I've always like Imagawa Ujizane, a daimyo who had no honor and surrendered immediately in order to survive and enjoy his tea and gardens. If the future generations are going to live dishonorably I see no reason to cut open my stomach. The old movie Seppuku was pretty good when it showed that even the people talking about honor back then were two-faced who had no interest in premature death (usually).

Reactions: Lostandlooking and ColorlessTrees
Depressed Cat

Depressed Cat

Mage
Jan 4, 2022
Is honour an overrated concept? My God, no! 😱 Honour is not overrated at all!

Having said that, it depends on how one defines the word "honour". It means different things to different people, after all.

Let's take the barbaric Russian invaders in Ukraine. Quite a few Russian PoWs captured by Ukrainians are calling back home, only to find out that they get no support from their families.

Many people in civilised societies are wondering why the families of Russian conscripts aren't protesting en masse against Poo-tin's genocidal Z invasion that has already led to the deaths of tens of thousands of Russian soldiers. Don't their families want their sons & brothers back home alive & well, instead of dying or getting maimed in Poo-tin's senseless invasion?

Well, it turns out that Poo-tin has them covered. He understands that poor families who supply the cannon fodder for his imperial war of conquest do not have honour, as they simply cannot afford it.

It's not the sons of wealthy Russkie mafiocrats or middle class Russians who are getting conscripted and are dying in droves. The sons of rich and middle class Russkies all avoid getting conscripted by hook or crook. It's almost exclusively poor Russians from small provincial towns and villages and poor ethnic minorities who are being sent to kill & get killed in Poo-tin's genocidal invasion of Ukraine.

Kamil Galeev explains it very well indeed

Screenshot 20220330 125956 Chrome Screenshot 20220330 130012 Chrome Screenshot 20220330 130035 Chrome
Screenshot 20220330 130049 Chrome

Not only poor Russian families, but also the Russkie army and its officers have absolutely no honour at all.

There are plenty of videos and photos of dead Russian soldiers being left to rot in the fields of Ukraine, their corpses decomposing and getting eaten by stray animals. Ukraine has also complained to the Red Cross that Russkies are simply not interested in taking their dead back in many cases. Why, even many injured Russian soldiers are just being abandoned or even killed by their own & abandoned instead of being evacuated to safety.

Why is this the case? It's because the Russkie army has no honour. Russkie officers have no honour at all. If they did, they would care more about their fallen soldiers. They would put in more effort to retrieve their dead soldiers and send their bodies back to their families, so they can have a decent funeral. They would put in more effort to evacuate their wounded. But they don't. It's because they don't have honour, period.

It would be unthinkable for civilised countries to abandon their dead soldiers in the sheer numbers that the Russkies are doing. Armies of civilised countries are known to make great efforts to evacuate their wounded and get their dead back. Heck, even the army of my Third World country is known to put in way more effort than the Russkies to evacuate the wounded and take back the fallen.

So, honour is not overrated at all! It depends on how one defines honour in the first place, after all.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: PreussenBlueJay and Chiisai
PreussenBlueJay

PreussenBlueJay

Too short for Frederick William I’s Guards
Jan 18, 2022
Is honour an overrated concept? My God, no! 😱 Honour is not overrated at all!

Having said that, it depends on how one defines the word "honour". It means different things to different people, after all.

Let's take the barbaric Russian invaders in Ukraine. Quite a few Russian PoWs captured by Ukrainians are calling back home, only to find out that they get no support from their families.

Many people in civilised societies are wondering why the families of Russian conscripts aren't protesting en masse against Poo-tin's genocidal Z invasion that has already led to the deaths of tens of thousands of Russian soldiers. Don't their families want their sons & brothers back home alive & well, instead of dying or getting maimed in Poo-tin's senseless invasion?

Well, it turns out that Poo-tin has them covered. He understands that poor families who supply the cannon fodder for his imperial war of conquest do not have honour, as they simply cannot afford it.

It's not the sons of wealthy Russkie mafiocrats or middle class Russians who are getting conscripted and are dying in droves. The sons of rich and middle class Russkies all avoid getting conscripted by hook or crook. It's almost exclusively poor Russians from small provincial towns and villages and poor ethnic minorities who are being sent to kill & get killed in Poo-tin's genocidal invasion of Ukraine.

Kamil Galeev explains it very well indeed

View attachment 89323View attachment 89324View attachment 89325
View attachment 89326

Not only poor Russian families, but also the Russkie army and its officers have absolutely no honour at all.

There are plenty of videos and photos of dead Russian soldiers being left to rot in the fields of Ukraine, their corpses decomposing and getting eaten by stray animals. Ukraine has also complained to the Red Cross that Russkies are simply not interested in taking their dead back in many cases. Why, even many injured Russian soldiers are just being abandoned or even killed by their own & abandoned instead of being evacuated to safety.

Why is this the case? It's because the Russkie army has no honour. Russkie officers have no honour at all. If they did, they would care more about their fallen soldiers. They would put in more effort to retrieve their dead soldiers and send their bodies back to their families, so they can have a decent funeral. They would put in more effort to evacuate their wounded. But they don't. It's because they don't have honour, period.

It would be unthinkable for civilised countries to abandon their dead soldiers in the sheer numbers that the Russkies are doing. Armies of civilised countries are known to make great efforts to evacuate their wounded and get their dead back. Heck, even the army of my Third World country is known to put in way more effort than the Russkies to evacuate the wounded and take back the fallen.

So, honour is not overrated at all! It depends on how one defines honour in the first place, after all.
Did you happen to read the Antony Beevor article in The Atlantic? He describes how Red Army troops were expected to venture out into no-man's-land in the night to strip the corpses of Soviet soldiers for uniforms to give to the fresh recruits.

• Wow
Reactions: Depressed Cat
ClownMe

ClownMe

Don't Cry for Me, I'm Already Dead
Apr 7, 2021
Well, you can't pay the bills with honor, so yes.

motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
I said I was leaving SS, so honor obviously means nothing to me.

• Yay!
Reactions: GrumpyFrog