Is following the news/media a waste of time?

• It is a waste of time

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • No folllowing the news has a lot of benefits

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • It is a mix of both

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I don't know not sure about it

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Some pro and contra arguments:

contra-arguments against following the news:

- dangers of doomscrolling - negative news (which are a huge part) can cause you to be more depressed. Sometimes they invoke stress and sorrows
- sometimes they can be overwhelming - so many also often negative ones are omnipresent
- possible sensationalism, clickbaiting, manipulation, propaganda, distorted narratives
- subscriptions cost money but it also can be time consuming. You might could do something instead that makes you more happy in the end
- you can develop a media addiction and unhealthy habits, and you might be exposed to media biases -> lose interest in civic discourse
- sometimes the news are repetitive and superficial

pro-arguments of following the news:

- staying aware and informed on events that affect you and your loved ones
- it is a way to learn critical thinking and analytical skills by comparing different perspectives and evaluating different sources (-> this is something I try)
- finding opportunities that can benefit your personal and professional growth
- participating in civic and democratic processes by being informed on political, economical and societal issues
-learn new things about the world and by that staying open-minded

I am a news junkie. It takes a lot of time to stay informed. However more and more I try to read less media articles and instead I want to read scientifical articles. The media is good to follow persons and current matters. But if I want in-depth policy analysis I should search for scientifical sources. I admit the media also has some gems. I write about them regularly. However I am not sure whether I catch the essence of things or if I just repeat black-white narratives when I read the media. I think scholars are on most issues way more nuanced. In the media there are often instead endlessly repeated talking points. There is a cycle of news. The problem is shown to us but then suddenly a more importing issues emerges when we never found a solution for the old one. I think in my country the following is called "topic or theme carrier". It means that a news topic goes through different stages and the way we talk about it changes. Such a cycle can be influenced by money interests, the holiday season or the attention span of the audience. Personally I try to look behind the facade of stories. I am not sure whether I am good at that. I like to be involved in current debates so I like to stay well informed. On the other hand I wish I was an expert on one topic and being perfectly informed about a complexe issue in-depth. Ironically my behavior in this forum resembles a columnist in a newspaper. Something I usually don't read in newspapers. However due the fact it is not a newscompany and we are no staff I still like to read opinions of other people. Due to the fact the members are a mix from different cultures and nations it often gives me very interesting insights how debates in other countries are held. When I was a young child and we got an internet access I was thrilled by getting the opportunity to exchange my thoughts with people from other countries.

One end-note. I find it interesting I think many people here express they are annoyed by the media. At the same time I get many compliments for my threads and I get the ideas by reading media articles. However the German media I follow has a very high quallity and sometimes I add knowledge from other more scientifical sources. It is funny. I read so much news and other articles and then I pack/condense my thoughts about it in threads which distracts me sometimes from my sorrows. I think both sides profit of that. Hopefully.

Last edited:
Source Energy

Source Energy

I want to be where people areN'T...
Jan 23, 2023
Yes. Waste of time. I already feel shitty enough without all the dramatic news. I don't need to hear about the latest shooting/ stabbing/ natural catastrophe/ etc in addition to my own crap. Negativity sells best when it comes to media. That's why you only hear bad news

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I don't keep up with the news at all. I wish I just somehow knew about it rather than having to actually witness it. I'd prefer it if I had more knowledge to base my opinions around but I just find it so depressing. Plus, I often wonder if we are being told the truth or full story anyway. Especially when it comes to politics. I don't vote because I simply don't know who to vote for. Still- I'm not convinced that reading all their promotional material would help much because I'm sure they all lie.

• Hugs
Reactions: ð–£´ nadia ð–£´ and noname223
dancer-in-adaydream

dancer-in-adaydream

Nov 25, 2022
edit: I don't know sorry

Last edited:
ð–£´ nadia ð–£´

ð–£´ nadia ð–£´

...member...
Dec 15, 2021
I'd like to keep informed but it's too depressing, I can see why people would think it's a waste of time though because we don't have much power to effect change. I think another argument against watching it is that people can end up becoming desensitised.

Reactions: hhmmmm
H

hhmmmm

Apr 27, 2023
I've stopped watching the news or keeping up with it but I do hear about it from other people. The reason why I stopped is because most of the news I have seen is very depressing and it affects my mood.

U

Unending

Enlightened
Nov 5, 2022
- it is a way to learn critical thinking and analytical skills by comparing different perspectives and evaluating different sources (-> this is something I try)
Glad you included this. I don't feel like enough people consider just how necessary it is to interpret the information that they hear based on a variety of factors. News these days seems to do a really good job of painting information one shade or another.

unnormal9

unnormal9

SOLDIER T.
Apr 12, 2023
There are no stupid questions.
Yes, it is.

NoLoveNoHope

NoLoveNoHope

Mage
Mar 25, 2023
I only keep up with news from the group itself (trans and SS in my case) since I've already formed my opinion and won't have some dumb biased news source tell me what to think. Mostly it's just trans laws being passed in certain countries then SS articles.

I don't trust the news for the most part and only stick to the dedicated facts in the articles. I want to form my own opinion from facts and not someone else.

TransilvanianHunger

TransilvanianHunger

Grave with a view...
Jan 22, 2023
You quickly hit a point of diminishing returns with "staying informed," especially with instant access to information from all over the world. The vast majority of things you'll get from the news are nothing that will affect you or that you can do anything about. The feeling of "being informed" is more or less useless in general, except for that hit of dopamine your brain gives you for being "on top of things." They will just take up brain cycles, and elicit (generally negative) emotions, because the news media is a business after all, and emotional engagement is good for business.

Personally, I mostly avoid the news, and only keep up with relevant things through conversations with other people. It can be useful to know what's going on in your community, or with specific subjects that are important to you or affect your life. Other than that, it feels like a waste of energy.

Ignoring the news can be a form of self-care.

Reactions: NumbItAll
RoundaboutResolved

RoundaboutResolved

Stuck in a roundabout with no exits!
Apr 5, 2023
Yes

Reactions: unnormal9
E

endlessagony

Apr 21, 2023
Yes it is, if you know something you'll see that when medias talk about it they only say bullshit

Reactions: unnormal9
S

Scythe

Lost in a delusion
Sep 5, 2022
It's a waste of time to me, the most important things you will hear about anyways regradless of if you follow the news. For example, covid and AI, that type of stuff gets passed around to people not looking at the news as well. So to me there's not a lot you can get from looking at the news.

Csmith8827

Csmith8827

Don't you listen to your heart? (Listen to it...)
Oct 26, 2019
In a matrix? Yes. A complete and total waste of time. 💯