• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

H

Herbi1

Nov 4, 2021
In some threads it is said that drowning is painful, while in some other threads it is described as peaceful.
So is there any reliable source to make sure which one is the case? I am not asking about the panic but the pain.

Also assuming drowning is painful, it takes only a couple of minutes before you lose conscious after drowning.
A few minutes of pain/agony is common with other, more popular methods like SN.
So why drowning pain/agony is considered worse than that of other methods?

Reactions: ojinzo and jakaranda3
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
I always heard that drowning and getting burned by fire were the worst type of deaths. But that's just my opinion.

Reactions: Shrike94, ojinzo, CloseFriendofCamus and 3 others
I

Interloper

Jul 23, 2021
Have you ever had the sensation of water in your lungs?

Noctis

Noctis

I wish I'd done it years ago
Dec 15, 2021
Generally, asphyxiation is bad because of the panic response when your body's CO2 level reaches a certain threshold. Just hold your breath as long as you can and you'll start to feel the panic before you pass out.

Most asphyxiation methods (like the exit bag) find ways to keep your CO2 down without giving you oxygen, so you pass out without panicking.

Drowning doesn't displace CO2, so you're stuck with the full panic.

The exception is getting yourself to peacefully lose consciousness BEFORE your head goes under water, like the shallow drowning method.

• Informative
Reactions: ShornSoloists, CloseFriendofCamus, poisonedminds and 5 others
Zzzzz

Zzzzz

Nothing compares to the bliss of death.
Aug 8, 2018
Is there a drowning megathread? Perhaps there should be because I see this question asked regularly. We need to focus on the science and the facts as best we can regarding any potential suicide method. I have read several accounts of drowning that I assume are true on other sites. take it with agrain of salt. The vast majority of the accounts I read said the worst part of drowning was the panic. A few said it was quite painless and even peaceful. Most made no mention of any physical pain. Only One person reported a burning sensation in the lungs. It seems rare to feel significant pain with this method. But I don't imagine it will be a comfortable feeling. But that is true with most suicide methods.

Reactions: Newstart, ojinzo, jakaranda3 and 2 others
H

Herbi1

Nov 4, 2021
Is there a drowning megathread? Perhaps there should be because I see this question asked regularly. We need to focus on the science and the facts as best we can regarding any potential suicide method. I have read several accounts of drowning that I assume are true on other sites. take it with agrain of salt. The vast majority of the accounts I read said the worst part of drowning was the panic. A few said it was quite painless and even peaceful. Most made no mention of any physical pain. Only One person reported a burning sensation in the lungs. It seems rare to feel significant pain with this method. But I don't imagine it will be a comfortable feeling. But that is true with most suicide methods.
I too had the impression that drowning is extremely brutal, but then you read this:
what happens when someone drowns

It takes less than 30-seconds for someone to drown. But panic is quickly replaced by what has been described as an amazing sense of peace and calm.

So agreed 100%, we need to focus on the science and facts. It is a shame that there doesn't seem to be a fact based drowning megathread in SS, or at least I couldn't find one.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ojinzo, Nora Rony, CloseFriendofCamus and 4 others
Zzzzz

Zzzzz

Aug 8, 2018
I too had the impression that drowning is extremely brutal, but then you read this:

It takes less than 30-seconds for someone to drown. But panic is quickly replaced by what has been described as an amazing sense of peace and calm.

So agreed 100%, we need to focus on the science and facts. It is a shame that there doesn't seem to be a fact based drowning megathread in SS, or at least I couldn't find one.

I think a lot of people are afraid of the panic. They don't want to feel that. Understandable. But I personally am more concerned about physical pain and effectiveness of the method. I don't see much evidence that drowning would be painful. And evidently it seems very effective and quick in terms of death. SI seems perhaps relatively high due to the panic, but SI is always going to be a problem, even with N. I think not everyone understands there is no such thing as a perfect method. There's going to be some fear, discomfort,pain,or panic regardless of the method. Suicide In any form takes serious grit I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: situationalsui, jakaranda3, Crazy4u and 2 others
Noctis

Noctis

I wish I'd done it years ago
Dec 15, 2021
I think a lot of people are afraid of the panic. They don't want to feel that. Understandable. But I personally am more concerned about physical pain and effectiveness of the method. I don't see much evidence that drowning would be painful. And evidently it seems very effective and quick in terms of death. SI seems perhaps relatively high due to the panic, but SI is always going to be a problem, even with N. I think not everyone understands there is no such thing as a perfect method. There's going to be some fear, discomfort,pain,or panic regardless of the method. Suicide In any form takes serious grit I think.
I think (not enough knowledge to say for certain) the actual pain of drowning will depend on the water. Drown in the ocean? I would expect that salty water to burn like a mother fucker. Drown in distilled water? I'll bet (aside from the panic response) it's very easy and completely pain-free.

Itsallover123

Itsallover123

Student
Nov 14, 2021
I've almost drowned twice and it is anything but peaceful, incredibly scary and when I got out of the water I had a huge headache. Although I wasn't trying to ctb so maybe it depends on your mindset and will.

Reactions: ojinzo, Nora Rony and LADY007
Zzzzz

Zzzzz

Aug 8, 2018
I've almost drowned twice and it is anything but peaceful, incredibly scary and when I got out of the water I had a huge headache. Although I wasn't trying to ctb so maybe it depends on your mindset and will.

I am sorry you went through that. I think to accidentally drown would be almost certainly terrifying. I think it's probably fair to say a persons mindset and will are considerable factors.

Reactions: Herbi1 and Itsallover123
vinie

vinie

Nauseous as hell
Nov 28, 2021
I think it's probably fair to say a persons mindset and will are considerable factors.
That is certain. I also experienced near death from accidental drowning when I was around the age of 10. But, oddly enough, I was not in any panic or dismay. I still do not know how, as a young girl, I barely experienced distress in that moment, considering the physically painful aspect of drowning in sea water. You do essentially choke on the water, which is rather unpleasant, but that is about it.

Last edited:
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
In some threads it is said that drowning is painful, while in some other threads it is described as peaceful.
So is there any reliable source to make sure which one is the case? I am not asking about the panic but the pain.

Also assuming drowning is painful, it takes only a couple of minutes before you lose conscious after drowning.
A few minutes of pain/agony is common with other, more popular methods like SN.
So why drowning pain/agony is considered worse than that of other methods?
I think that drowning is terrifying for as long as you are able to stay afloat, and you will try to stay aloat as long as you can due to SI- SI is so strong in this situation that it's unavoidable. I have seen one or two accounts where some people who almost drowned said that actually bretahng thee water in wasn't painful, but it does sound terrifying.

Reactions: jakaranda3
blueclover_.

blueclover_.

Better Never to Have Been: 2006, David Benatar
Oct 11, 2021
Drowning is painful at first, then peaceful, then could possibly be painful again if you don't lose consciousness quickly.

When i was 8 i almost drowned in the adult pool. I couldn't let go of my last breath so i held on to that CO2, it was painful physically and psychologically. But then as i started to accept the probability of death, i felt completely peaceful. No pain, i was ready to let go, until a hand suddenly pulled me out of the water.

I don't know how it feels to literally inhale water though. If you just hold your breath like i did, it will be painful at first and then it'll be peaceful, but i don't know whether it's gonna stay just as peaceful until you lose consciousness or it suddenly becomes painful again.

• Informative
Reactions: PeacefulTonic
T

Ta555

Enlightened
Aug 31, 2021
I may need to go this route, drowning in bathtub with weights because my health is not good and I don't know if I'll be able to set up my full suspension. I'd take a bunch of benzos first. Also wondering how bad it actually is. I'm pretty desperate.

nowayout*

nowayout*

Dec 17, 2021
How bad do you think it would be to drowned outside in a pond during winter? Would it be more painful and harder since its cold outside?

Zzzzz

Zzzzz

Aug 8, 2018
I may need to go this route, drowning in bathtub with weights because my health is not good and I don't know if I'll be able to set up my full suspension. I'd take a bunch of benzos first. Also wondering how bad it actually is. I'm pretty desperate.

Both of the comments from members who experienced drowning are similar to other testimonies I've read online about drowning. They both mention panic. One mentioned feeling peaceful when they stopped resisting what was happening. It sounds like the panic can potentially be overcome. Other accounts mention peace when they stopped resisting. It takes 2 minutes I've read for an average adult to drown. Death won't occurr for 5-20 minutes I've read. 5-30 mins in saltwater. It seems consciousness would likely be lost in roughly 2 minutes due to no oxygen. Drugs or alcohol can likely help to alleviate the feeling of panic, since people drown accidentally when drunk. I'm not encouraging or discouraging anyone to use this method, just sharing information I've read about it.
How bad do you think it would be to drowned outside in a pond during winter? Would it be more painful and harder since its cold outside?

I'm no expert so take what I say with a grain of salt but I have read that apparently it's possible for the heart to immediately stop when very cold water fills the lungs. I cannot say that is guaranteed to happen. Also I have read about people being revived I believe after an hour or maybe 2 or 3 hours in cold water drownings. I don't think ive read of anyone being revived after 3 hours in cold water. While it seems 30-60 mins in lukewarm water would very likely be impossible to revive someone. Whether it's more painful in cold water might be a matter of preference and tolerance people have for swimming in cold water.

Last edited:
Reactions: Herbi1 and nowayout*
T

Ta555

Enlightened
Aug 31, 2021
So I just looked this up and it looks like your lungs don't fill with water until after you lose consciousness so the whole 'water in your lungs is painful' thing may not apply.
From what I've read: you hold your breath then your body forces you to take a breath involuntarily. Once water hits your trachea it seals off to to protect itself and no water or oxygen gets into your lungs. You then become unconscious from lack of oxygen and pass out at which point your muscles relax and THEN water enters lungs but you're already unconscious from oxygen deprivation.

• Informative
Reactions: ojinzo, blueclover_., Herbi1 and 2 others
Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
I've heard that it's a lot less unpleasant in salt water than in fresh but don't quote me on that.
I think (not enough knowledge to say for certain) the actual pain of drowning will depend on the water. Drown in the ocean? I would expect that salty water to burn like a mother fucker. Drown in distilled water? I'll bet (aside from the panic response) it's very easy and completely pain-free.

It would actually be the other way around because in distilled water the water would pull salt out of your body.

Last edited:
H

Herbi1

Nov 4, 2021
PPH has made test scores for different methods, so I made an effort to come up with a test score for drowning to my best knowledge:

Reliability 9 (?)
Peacefulness 7 (?)
Availability 10
Preparation 5
Undetectability 1
Speed 5
Safety 5
Storage 5
Legality 5

I am not quite sure about the reliability of drowning, but based on my current understanding, the method is quite reliable.

I would consider drowning as partly peaceful because loss of consciousness comes rather quickly. I concur however that because of the panic involved, the peacefulness of this method is subjective, one could consider it quite peaceful and another less so.

Anyway, test score for drowning should be something around 52 or 87%, which is quite high. To put things in perspective, the test score for SN is 47 or 78% and for Inert gas method is 48 or 80%. Even N scores less than drowning because of availability and legality issues.

Granted test score ala PPH doesn't tell everything about a method, a high test score shouldn't be dismissed nevertheless. More science based facts or a megathread about drowning, specially about its reliability and peacefulness is more than welcome.

• Informative
Reactions: ojinzo and Zzzzz
M

myopybyproxy

flickerbeat \\ gibberish-noise
Dec 18, 2021
No idea due to lack of personal experience - but I would prefer to combine methods to insure greater probability of success. As others have mentioned, sedatives can be helpful in reducing the panic and instinct to stay afloat.
The exception is getting yourself to peacefully lose consciousness BEFORE your head goes under water, like the shallow drowning method.
Can you elaborate on shallow drowning? I've never heard of it before.

Edit: Never mind - did some reading up on it.

Last edited:
Zzzzz

Zzzzz

Aug 8, 2018
PPH has made test scores for different methods, so I made an effort to come up with a test score for drowning to my best knowledge:

Reliability 9 (?)
Peacefulness 7 (?)
Availability 10
Preparation 5
Undetectability 1
Speed 5
Safety 5
Storage 5
Legality 5

I am not quite sure about the reliability of drowning, but based on my current understanding, the method is quite reliable.

I would consider drowning as partly peaceful because loss of consciousness comes rather quickly. I concur however that because of the panic involved, the peacefulness of this method is subjective, one could consider it quite peaceful and another less so.

Anyway, test score for drowning should be something around 52 or 87%, which is quite high. To put things in perspective, the test score for SN is 47 or 78% and for Inert gas method is 48 or 80%. Even N scores less than drowning because of availability and legality issues.

Granted test score ala PPH doesn't tell everything about a method, a high test score shouldn't be dismissed nevertheless. More science based facts or a megathread about drowning, specially about its reliability and peacefulness is more than welcome.

I think there's little doubt that the lethality of drowning is quite reliable. Assuming the panic is overcome along with any other survival instincts, I think relatively prompt resucitation is the only way someone could survive. I personally would not want to try it in a sink or bathtub, but it seems like some might have drowned in bathtubs. I don't want to risk my body convulsing and falling out of the tub. I'd rather be fully submerged.

T

Ta555

Enlightened
Aug 31, 2021
I
I think there's little doubt that the lethality of drowning is quite reliable. Assuming the panic is overcome along with any other survival instincts, I think relatively prompt resucitation is the only way someone could survive. I personally would not want to try it in a sink or bathtub, but it seems like some might have drowned in bathtubs. I don't want to risk my body convulsing and falling out of the tub. I'd rather be fully submerged.
I may end up doing it in the tub, but with weights because of that same concern.

nowayout*

nowayout*

Dec 17, 2021
How would one even accomplish drowning in a sink. I feel like that would be extremely difficult.

Reactions: Zzzzz
T

Ta555

Enlightened
Aug 31, 2021
How would one even accomplish drowning in a sink. I feel like that would be extremely difficult.
You'd think so but I read about a man in India who drowned himself just by holding his head in a bucket of water. No weights or anything. Balls of steel.

Reactions: jakaranda3 and Zzzzz
nowayout*

nowayout*

Dec 17, 2021
You'd think so but I read about a man in India who drowned himself just by holding his head in a bucket of water. No weights or anything. Balls of steel.
Yeah i don't think I could accomplish that. Your right about the balls of steel.

R

Rabbit50

Apr 5, 2022

If he had balls of steel, maybe he was using them as weights!

• Yay!
Reactions: Justnotme, bolt and Ta555
J

jakaranda3

Feb 5, 2021
wow he really wanted to kill himself. defeating SI face to face without cheats.

• Wow
Reactions: WorthlessTrash
WorthlessTrash

WorthlessTrash

Worthless
Apr 19, 2022
Based and Peaceful pilled.

J

jakaranda3

Feb 5, 2021
After thinking about it, I really dont mind to suffer for 1 minute, as long the method is certain and clean.

planning to do this in the ocean with weights, so the body is not found.
  1. hold breath near surface until unconscious or near it.
  2. open hands and let it go.
  3. SI will kick in briefly but doesnt matter as weights wont be easily removable.
But although unconscious, i dont know if water pressure will make feel some sort of horrible pain during descent.

• Hugs
Reactions: Zzzzz
ojinzo

ojinzo

Specialist
Feb 21, 2022

Reading this article and the way the pathologist approached the victims love one moved me beyond this world. It is so rare but there are still good people on this earth. Thanks for sharing this

Also, I think there is no mega thread because the shit actually works. I'm staying not to trust this website. Between the pro lifers, le, and drug dealers who just want money but could care less if you receive the product, you really find the advice one needs.

• Informative
Reactions: situationalsui and OceanBlue