nigelhernandez

nigelhernandez

Experienced
Apr 14, 2020
I'm waiting to see if I'll be accepted into uni next week. I'm set to go into a Communications course for 3 years. I was excited at first but from reading people's experiences, it seems like a low valued degree with a lot of competition.

F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
Yes it's one of the worthless degrees. Read the book by Aaron Clarey called worthless. Then u can get good idea what skills will be in demand and what degrees are worthless.

Leech

Leech

ɴᴏᴡ'ꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏɴʟy ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ʀᴇᴀʟ
Aug 8, 2020
There's a lot of work for someone with a communications degree BUT almost all of it is minimum wage work
Your best bet if you wanna pursue communications is to figure out exactly what line of work you want to go into, take communications as a major and take something that fits your preferred field as a minor IMO

almost_dead

almost_dead

Arcanist
Aug 7, 2020
I'm waiting to see if I'll be accepted into uni next week. I'm set to go into a Communications course for 3 years. I was excited at first but from reading people's experiences, it seems like a low valued degree with a lot of competition.
Yea its absolutely garbage IMO

A

alexit

Mage
Jun 3, 2020
I studied English and Creative Writing. Very similar. I had a lot of fun working as a journalist. Pay was crap so eventually changed. Honestly, it'll be a fun degree and you will be better at an essential life skill: communicating – and that can help in you in everything. Just don't expect to make a lot of money with it. If I had to do it again I'd still do it but I'd pair it with something else, not just as a fall back but as a complement.

Escargot Shorts

Escargot Shorts

Tears-of-a-Clown Ass Bitch
Sep 26, 2018
a friend of mine got a degree in communications. i'm not really sure of all the jobs they've done but i know one involved watching a lot of television in a room, of like, stuff they didn't even want to watch (but did at least lead to us having conversations about Project Runway) and then also at the sex museum in NYC i can't say they loved any of those jobs though and they went to grad school anyway.

T

TheQ22

Enlightened
Aug 17, 2020
I'll correct your question for you, then answer it:

Is a degree from a University useless?

Yes.
Unless it's being a doctor, lawyer, or financier. or similar professional occupation like an architect or vet, etc. The rest are useless.

It's a con. They want to shovel everyone through uni, which is not what they were ever intended to be (and not what it used to be), and the unis love it because you are then not students, you are government funded customers - it's why they offer so many utterly shit courses like David Beckham studies, or media studies or journalism (there are more students studying journalism than paid journalists in the UK - and think of all the ones who've finished and can't get a job as well).

University was intended to be much higher education for the cream of the intellectual crop, not for any Tom, Dick, or Harry - we haven't all suddenly become in the top 1% of intellectuals, so the only answer is the courses are dumb as shit and useless.

The unis love it though - they're making £Billions rather than just £Millions when only intelligent people could go.

There is no "right" to go to uni, it's like saying we all have a "right" to be Premier League footballers - either you have the talent or you don't.

Reactions: charlottewilts
Deleted member 18655

Deleted member 18655

Enlightened
Jun 4, 2020
Here's a question: what do you want to do after uni?

Focus on the answer to this question so you don't just settle in to three years removed from the real world. Keep looking through jobs ads to see what you need to prepare for and tweak your studies as the workplaces change. If you enter to study solely for the course content, then any degree is rubbish. You are learning to commit to a goal, to work through stress and to gain knowledge and skills you'll use in the workforce. University is not the goal, but the means of reaching your goals.

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
I loved the coursework in Communications, the degree was worthless. Unless one already has an in for whatever field they want to work in, especially PR, they're just one of tens of thousands with the same degree. Journalism has totally changed, if one goes the online route the pay is shit and the competition is high, and broadcast journalism is ridiculously competitive. If one doesn't do internships and also doesn't have connections in any of the communications fields, they're looking at the post-grad prospect of random low-level, low-pay jobs in random fields. The degree will provide a good foundation for a variety of grad programs, though.

Reactions: TheQ22