FireFox

FireFox

Enlightened
Apr 8, 2020
I have noticed some memebers on this forum from middle class backgrounds( i am not naming names) . I noticed some middle class members feel disappointed they are not meeting family expectations of them or disappointed in thier lives in general. The whole thing got me thinking really.

I live in the UK and the UK is very class divided society. In UK class everything. I think class is a bigger issue than race .

If you come from middle/ upperclass family in the UK you can go to the best schools, universities etc.
What school you go to in the UK determines your life chances.
In the UK careers like journalism, creative industries the civil service, law, banking tend to be dominated a lot by the middlec classes / upper classes etc
UK does have a jobs for boys/friendsculture this is seen in jobs in media, politics etc

The USA: is an unequal society too like the UK but i dont think it has class is an issue.
The US tends to have a lot more opportunites due to its creative industries, tech industries, etc which is why everyone wants to come.

I think it so sad people are defined by thier class. I see my friends identity themseleves as working class or i know people who identify as middle class.
The worst is when politicans try to identify with a particualr class to win votes from a particular group .
The labour party mps like to talk about how working class they are etc.

I think class is an illusion.

Class can change where as my race never will.

A wealthy person/ middle class person can be poor in the future.
My auntie her husband was a diplomat and abusive towards her. Her children went to the private schools in the UK. When the relationship ended my auntie and her family ended living in the UK struggling to get by

One of my neighbours was a lawyer in his home country in somalia. He left somalia for the UK. He struggled to find legal work in the UK and ended up being a cab driver.

So many examples of people who are wealthy or middle class end up losing it all due to mental illness, job losses etc

New classes can be created or even abolished. Automation is growing a lot of jobs done today by people may not exist in the future.
Banking: soon advanced algothrisms will calculating the money or even controlling the stock market without human help.
HSBC have moved some their banking jobs online.

Do you think class is an illusion?

Reactions: Klee, puppy9 and TheDevilsAngel
T

thereandgone

Trying to close my loop
May 7, 2020
Your question reminds me of the fable where the rich man takes his son to see how poor people live:

I would say that class is an illusion based on our perceptions of what it means to be "wealthy".

• Love
Reactions: Élégie, The Dark Chaos, FireFox and 2 others
GravityUtilizer

GravityUtilizer

Born to lose
May 22, 2020
I think the middle class is often about unimaginative people conforming to societal expectations and anticipating being happy, before finding themselves disappointed when they are not.

Reactions: Klee and puppy9
sadghost

sadghost

S
May 17, 2020
I think class is just a way to organize people into relative tiers of monetary wealth, but it's not really exact. What differentiates someone who is "middle class" and "upper middle class?" It depends on who you ask I guess. In this way, like you mentioned, your "class" is always subject to changing definitions. Class is a social construct.

Reactions: _Minsk, FireFox and puppy9
FireFox

FireFox

Enlightened
Apr 8, 2020
Your question reminds me of the fable where the rich man takes his son to see how poor people live:
View attachment 39325

I would say that class is an illusion based on our perceptions of what it means to be "wealthy".
@thereandgone I love the fable thank you for sharing it. It does make you think actually
I think class is just a way to organize people into relative tiers of monetary wealth, but it's not really exact. What differentiates someone who is "middle class" and "upper middle class?" It depends on who you ask I guess. In this way, like you mentioned, your "class" is always subject to changing definitions. Class is a social construct.
@sadghost
In the UK being middle class means people in professional careers ie doctors, lawyers, stem field , fiance,
Middle class own thier own property, live in suburbs , children go to private schools etc

Upper class in the UK refers to the super wealthy or the royal family .

We are so obessed with class as as a soceity and wanting to be a part of a class it is so pathetic.

Class is not a forever thing but people make it thier identity.

Worst of all politicians use class to control society and exclude those at the bottom.

Last edited:
Reactions: thereandgone