Soulless_Angel

Soulless_Angel

existence is futile
Jul 10, 2019
Oh helll.... is that still even a thing?

Reactions: Myforevercharlie, bigtasty and ghostspace
Green Destiny

Green Destiny

Life isn't worth the trouble.
Nov 16, 2019
To put my opinions on flat earthers nicely...I don't like them.

• Wow
Reactions: Dreamless Sleep and Oyoy
Suicide_vampire

Suicide_vampire

In Vino Veritas
Feb 11, 2020
The science is there to prove it (watch beyond the curve on netflix) plus you only believe that it's a ball floating in space because you were told it, have you seen it with your own eyes. Also check out the UN logo, it's a major clue!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200216_183523.jpg
    Screenshot_20200216_183523.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Wow
Reactions: Lifeisbutadream777 and Oyoy
K

KiraLittleOwl

Lost in transition
Jan 25, 2019
I am an earthling who fall flat, does that count?

• Love
Reactions: Woodnote, 262653, Myforevercharlie and 6 others
a.n.kirillov

a.n.kirillov

velle non discitur
Nov 17, 2019
Wasn't there also a version where earths continents were islands on lakes on a giant ice planet? If yes, that's what I believe

• Love
Reactions: Oyoy
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
I am a member of the Flat Earth Society, and I can tell you for a fact that we have millions of members around the globe.

• Love
Reactions: strand, GreenDayLover123, LoNatural and 10 others
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
See the Turtle of enormous girth, on his back he holds the Earth.

• Love
Reactions: Myforevercharlie, a.n.kirillov, Oyoy and 1 other person
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
See the Turtle of enormous girth, on his back he holds the Earth.

But, sir, what is under the turtle?
I take it you have read Hawking's Short History Of Time @Underscore

• Love
Reactions: Oyoy
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
But, sir, what is under the turtle?
I take it you have read Hawking's Short History Of Time @Underscore
I haven't I'm afraid, always meant to. I got this from The Dark Tower...
"See the TURTLE of enormous girth! On his shell he holds the earth. His thought is slow but always kind; he holds us all within his mind. On his back all vows are made; he sees the truth but mayn't aid. He loves the land and loves the sea, And even loves a fool like me."

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Oyoy and Epsilon0
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Ok, I thought you were referring to Hawking's famous book which opens with these lines:

A well-known scientist (some say it was Bertrand Russell) once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the center of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: "What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise."

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, "What is the tortoise standing on?"

"You're very clever, young man, very clever," said the old lady. "But it's turtles all the way down!"

• Love
Reactions: Oyoy and Deleted member 1465
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Ok, I thought you were referring to Hawking's famous book which opens with these lines:

A well-known scientist (some say it was Bertrand Russell) once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the center of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: "What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise."

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, "What is the tortoise standing on?"

"You're very clever, young man, very clever," said the old lady. "But it's turtles all the way down!"
Hahaha cool. A variation of the World Turtle Myth and very Pratchett.

• Love
Reactions: Epsilon0 and Oyoy
C

ctbUniquectb

Pariah
Jan 7, 2020
Flat earthers are idiots.

There is no earth.

• Wow
Reactions: Fml and Oyoy
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
/\ /\ /\

And that, folks, is how you close a thread about flat Earth in style!

mesohappy

mesohappy

Cat piss sammich??
Jan 10, 2020
As far as all the conspiracy theories out there,flat earth makes the least sense to me.What would anyone get out of convincing the masses that the Earth is round and not flat?..Does it even make a difference? I don't care if it is a triangle.All I need to know is Im stuck on it.

Have you heard the Sturgill Simpson song "Turtles all the way down?" Pretty cool song,check it out if you get a chance.

• Hugs
Reactions: 262653 and Epsilon0
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Hello @mesohappy

Thank you for suggesting the song. I just listened to it. Cool vibe and sound. Not my usual cup of tea, but it's always nice to discovered different music types.

Reactions: mesohappy
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I'D started reading about if gravity would work on a flat earth. Now I'm reading about how gravity doesn't actually make sense from a Newtonian point of view. I'm almost tempted to try and use physics to argue that the earth may indeed be flat, just to see if it can be done. Or maybe just to be a git. :blarg:

Reactions: Suicide_vampire
Oyoy

Oyoy

Spatula
Feb 2, 2020
I'D started reading about if gravity would work on a flat earth. Now I'm reading about how gravity doesn't actually make sense from a Newtonian point of view. I'm almost tempted to try and use physics to argue that the earth may indeed be flat, just to see if it can be done. Or maybe just to be a git. :blarg:
What would be the agenda of lying to us?

C

ctbUniquectb

Pariah
Jan 7, 2020
gravity doesn't actually make sense from a Newtonian point of view
All models are approximations. Gravity has been improved upon since Newton's time, but Newton's maths are simpler to use even though they don't account for 43 arcseconds per century with regards to Mercury.

Don't toss out the baby with the bathwater.

E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
It's been a long time since I took a course in astronomy, but I remember the professor showing us a cool animation about the solar nebula and how the planets formed. The planets hoovered up material from around the young sun and became more and more masive. The more mass they had, the faster they rotated and the rounder they became.

I do love my comparatives, today :-)

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
All models are approximations. Gravity has been improved upon since Newton's time, but Newton's maths are simpler to use even though they don't account for 43 arcseconds per century with regards to Mercury.

Don't toss out the baby with the bathwater.
Not doing, just reading about it. Different models interpret things in different ways. It's interesting to follow the argument.

Suicide_vampire

Suicide_vampire

In Vino Veritas
Feb 11, 2020
What would be the agenda of lying to us?
Look at the image of the UN logo, then compare it to live flight tracker
Screenshot 20200216 183523
See the distance between Australia and South America its huge.
Then look at a globe its no where its not as far, but if you are flying from Australia to South America you always stop over in North America.
Screenshot 20200216 214558
Ahhh the plot thickens!

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Last edited:
C

ctbUniquectb

Pariah
Jan 7, 2020
Not doing, just reading about it.
Huh?
Different models interpret things in different ways. It's interesting to follow the argument.
The major addition to classical mechanics from relativity was the understanding that space tells objects how to move and that objects tell space how to curve. This was not a total revision. The later model explains the earlier model, because the models were congruous.

Which is to say: no one tossed the baby with the bathwater.