• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Mage
Oct 23, 2018
Is anyone an Author?

Reactions: Firecaste, Final Escape, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 9 others
15dec

15dec

ember in the dark
Dec 7, 2018
I started writing a novel/novella yesterday, but usually I run out of ideas or motivation. I used to write a lot of short stories as well but I haven't recently, it's mostly just poetry now.

Reactions: Firecaste, NoChoice, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 8 others
21Neberg

21Neberg

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2018
My grandfather wrote books about religion, but I can't bring myself to read more than two sentences often times... I have lost all ability to focus on something and I hate it.

Reactions: Othermind, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Deafsn0w and 8 others
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
Is anyone an Author?
I think @TiredHorse has had some work published.

There is also the Brazilian member, I can't mind their name at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thewhowithin69, Final Escape, therhydler and 10 others
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
Just some short stories and comedy sketches. I probably could've had something published but I have so much anxiety about others seeing my work that it tends to stay private. Same with my art. I have some decent stuff that I didnt post or show anywhere yet, just because I'm so hung up about potential scrutiny.

Reactions: Misanthrope, Final Escape, TheCrow and 8 others
15dec

15dec

ember in the dark
Dec 7, 2018
Just some short stories and comedy sketches. I probably could've had something published but I have so much anxiety about others seeing my work that it tends to stay private. Same with my art. I have some decent stuff that I didnt post or show anywhere yet, just because I'm so hung up about potential scrutiny.
I'm the same with the majority of my work, I'm sure yours is amazing Carebear ♡

Reactions: Misanthrope, Final Escape, TheCrow and 6 others
Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Mage
Oct 23, 2018
You know it seems it is often the case that the people lacking the confidence are the ones with quietly nurtured talent hidden behind a bushel. It is kind of a shame that talent is not enough and you also have to also be able to sell yourself. I would certainly be interested in seeing your creations. I used to write Sci Fi when I was a teen. Part of me feels like reviving that. Irritatingly though I am struggling to think straight.

Reactions: Final Escape, TheCrow, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 8 others
15dec

15dec

ember in the dark
Dec 7, 2018
You know it seems it is often the case that the people lacking the confidence are the ones with quietly nurtured talent hidden behind a bushel. It is kind of a shame that talent is not enough and you also have to also be able to sell yourself. I would certainly be interested in seeing your creations. I used to write Sci Fi when I was a teen. Part of me feels like reviving that. Irritatingly though I am struggling to think straight.
Oh, I love sci-fi! One of the longest books I've written was a science fiction/dystopian novel. Right now I'm writing a dystopia set in the modern day, I might add some more sci-fi elements to it to spice things up though

Reactions: Final Escape, TheCrow, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 5 others
Mrs.O'Leary'sCow

Mrs.O'Leary'sCow

SanitizingDeodorantCakes
Aug 20, 2018
Is anyone an Author?
worst-book-covers-titles-48.jpg

Reactions: Made4TV, Misanthrope, Thewhowithin69 and 7 others
iHeartRockArt

iHeartRockArt

Wizard
Sep 21, 2018
I'm not an author per se, but I'm a poet. I do love writing, editing, and I'm obsessed with words and grammar.

Reactions: Made4TV, Misanthrope, TheCrow and 6 others
Othermind

Othermind

-
Dec 26, 2018
I write shitty short stories, yeah. It takes me forever to finish one 'cause I'm always either busy with something or drunk or not inspired, but I do have 3-4 that are in a somewhat decent state and another one in the works that I feel very strongly for.
I'm not delusional enough to think that they're anything more than glorified rambles delivered through metaphors that are either too obvious or too obscure, but it's just something I do to kill time before I ctb at the end of the day.

Reactions: Deafsn0w, Misanthrope, Mrs.O'Leary'sCow and 1 other person
15dec

15dec

ember in the dark
Dec 7, 2018
I write shitty short stories, yeah. It takes me forever to finish one 'cause I'm always either busy with something or drunk or not inspired, but I do have 3-4 that are in a somewhat decent state and another one in the works that I feel very strongly for.
I'm not delusional enough to think that they're anything more than glorified rambles delivered through metaphors that are either too obvious or too obscure, but it's just something I do to kill time before I ctb at the end of the day.
I'm the exact same when it comes to writing, I'm sure your stories are good though :)

Reactions: Deafsn0w, Misanthrope, About_to_Go and 4 others
Othermind

Othermind

-
Dec 26, 2018
I'm the exact same when it comes to writing, I'm sure your stories are good though :)
Well, thanks, I guess on some level I do like them, otherwise I wouldn't have written them and had my friends read them.
But I still can't shake off the feeling that they suck the same way most local bands suck (including my own when I played in one). You know that bland, amateurish, uninspired patina that seems to coat their music?

Reactions: Deafsn0w, Misanthrope, About_to_Go and 2 others
15dec

15dec

ember in the dark
Dec 7, 2018
Well, thanks, I guess on some level I do like them, otherwise I wouldn't have written them and had my friends read them.
But I still can't shake off the feeling that they suck the same way most local bands suck (including my own when I played in one). You know that bland, amateurish, uninspired patina that seems to coat their music?
Yeah I know what you mean, and I get the exact same feeling about what I write. Maybe you could post them somewhere and get feedback from other people and see what they think of them?

Reactions: Deafsn0w, Misanthrope, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
Othermind

Othermind

-
Dec 26, 2018
Yeah I know what you mean, and I get the exact same feeling about what I write. Maybe you could post them somewhere and get feedback from other people and see what they think of them?
Maybe when I'm closer to catching the bus.
Besides, people tend to be really nice and supportive here, and I get it, I don't fault anyone for it, so I doubt I'd get a truly honest response.
I myself wouldn't be too inclined to point out flaws in somebody's artistic endeavor that they decide to post here 'cause it would feel like kicking them while they're down.

Reactions: Mrs.O'Leary'sCow, Deafsn0w, faex42 and 3 others
Pulpit2018

Pulpit2018

Experienced
Oct 8, 2018
I have immense admiration for writers who create work that withstands in time,and is read years after.
I only wish i could ever write something thats worth a damn.

Reactions: Deafsn0w, Misanthrope, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 2 others
Kyrok

Kyrok

Paragon
Nov 6, 2018
I'm a writer... non-fiction, close to 100 publications of various types (articles, chapters in collections, edited volumes, monographs).

My next book is under contract, but I'm in too much pain to work on it.

Reactions: kkatt, Mrs.O'Leary'sCow, Deafsn0w and 5 others
ScottPilgram

ScottPilgram

slime guy, xe/xem it/its
Feb 2, 2019
I write but it's way easier for me to share my art then it is my writing. I only allow one person to read and review and help me write and that is a super extremley trustworthy friend.it kinda sucks. I wish I was more confident. Maybe I'll write a short story in this thread later.

Reactions: Mrs.O'Leary'sCow, Deafsn0w, Misanthrope and 2 others
WayOut

WayOut

Experienced
Oct 26, 2018
Irritatingly though I am struggling to think straight.
That surprises me. I've just finished reading though some of your posts on that forum/social media venting thread. Nothing wrong with your thinking there! You were clear, to the point and you made a lot of sense.

Reactions: Johnnythefox, Made4TV, Mrs.O'Leary'sCow and 5 others
therhydler

therhydler

Enlightened
Dec 7, 2018

I really want to see that art!

Reactions: Johnnythefox, Mrs.O'Leary'sCow, Deafsn0w and 3 others
AhG

AhG

La vie est tout sauf un rêve
Jan 24, 2019
Amateur. I started writing a story about how I met my wife.

Reactions: Mrs.O'Leary'sCow, Deafsn0w, Misanthrope and 1 other person
YukiFox

YukiFox

Pastel demon
Dec 8, 2018
Here's one. In theory, my first book will be published on an independent press of a friend this year 2019, but he doesn't tell me any date.
I have my inner joke that I'm an "Unfinished writer" because I have a lot of ideas to write but I doesn't realize them. I envy the work discipline of writers like Stephen King for that. Whatever.
Literature is one of my few passions to not make my nihilism more miserable that it is.

Reactions: Mrs.O'Leary'sCow, Deafsn0w, Misanthrope and 3 others
About_to_Go

About_to_Go

It deepens like a coastal shelf
Mar 20, 2018

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Johnnythefox, Mrs.O'Leary'sCow, Deafsn0w and 3 others
T

Thewhowithin69

Dec 31, 2018
I always imagined I would be an author, was hoping to retire and then write....I had an essay published when I was in college and had a few professors who really believed in my "talent" when I was young.
Too much brain damage now (I think) but have to admit it was the one dream I thought I would be able to accomplish....sad!

Reactions: Deafsn0w, Misanthrope, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 2 others
Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Mage
Oct 23, 2018
So I am curious are you, a seat of your pants writers? Or do you plot things out first? I am a plotter personally.

What authors inspire you?

@15dec What makes your modern day setting dystopian? I watched two interesting (not necessarily good.) films recently on Netflix that played with interesting concepts. One was called The Giver. The other is called The Discovery. Have you ever watched any Black Mirror?

@Othermind What is going on in the one you feel most strongly for? There are sites out there where you can get beta readers. They will be very honest with you in a constructive way. www.goodreads.com has a bunch of them.

@Kyrok May I tap your practical knowledge on this? I am sorry to hear you are in pain right now. Do you have a deadline you have to be aware of?

@WayOut It is like a fog that rolls in and ruins concentration to the point soup instructions become difficult. Then it goes but I don't know when it will come back or how long it will last for. Same for nausea, that intensity fluctuates as well and determines how functional I am on a given day or at any hour.

@YukiFox I hope it works out well for you. Are you proud you have managed to get to this point? There are a lot of writers that never even get to a first draft let alone something publishable. So just want to say well done for getting that far.

@Thewhowithin69 Would any sort of assistive technology help with this?

Today has been reasonably enjoyable as I started plotting and tentatively writing again.

Reactions: Mrs.O'Leary'sCow and Deafsn0w
Kyrok

Kyrok

Paragon
Nov 6, 2018
@Misanthrope ,

I usually have a rough picture worked out before I start writing. When I'm writing a book, I'll have an outline for each chapter.

Sometimes, though, things end up going in a different direction than initially planned.

As for authors who inspire me, that's not so much an issue in my case since I write non-fiction. Overall, I strive for clarity and to bring new insights to the topic.

Regarding the deadline, this July. I'll need a lengthy extension, but as this is my third book with this publisher, and since the delay primarily involves health issues, I'll be surprised if they say no.

Reactions: Mrs.O'Leary'sCow and Misanthrope
E

Exile

Predator, criminal, emotional blackmailer
Jan 28, 2019
I've been published a fair bit, almost all history/political science. I've tried my hand at fiction and I'm not good at it.

Reactions: Thewhowithin69, Misanthrope and Heart Shards
H

Heart Shards

The shards of my broken heart cut deep.
Feb 3, 2019
I'm working on a two part dark fantasy series. If I could stick around I think it would do well/

Reactions: Firecaste and Misanthrope
Firecaste

Firecaste

Experienced
Jan 5, 2019
Nope, never really picked up a pen for pleasure. Don't think I'd be good at it.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Thewhowithin69 and Heart Shards
15dec

15dec

ember in the dark
Dec 7, 2018
So I am curious are you, a seat of your pants writers? Or do you plot things out first? I am a plotter personally.

What authors inspire you?

@15dec What makes your modern day setting dystopian? I watched two interesting (not necessarily good.) films recently on Netflix that played with interesting concepts. One was called The Giver. The other is called The Discovery. Have you ever watched any Black Mirror?

I tend to plot things out, I've got a brief synopsis of what the main plot is, the subplot and how I want the main characters to change over the course of the story. I can't think of any authors in particular that inspire me off the top of my head, but I tend to get inspiration from any media so books, games, films etc.

I ended up scrapping the modern day dystopia and moving it into the future, but originally it was a bit like the show Humans in a different timeline to our own where technology had developed faster/differently, and the government used it as a means to control the population and stop them from questioning things, keep them working for them as long as possible and maintain their position of power/wealth.

I've watched the first few episodes of Black Mirror but I haven't seen it in a while, it was a pretty good show though.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Misanthrope