Sadness20

Sadness20

Experienced
Nov 1, 2021
Maybe an unpopular opinion but I find it so strange to kind of see the one side of the world on Instagram everything so colorful and happy. And then I see sanctioned suicide and wonder if I am in another dimension because people honestly and really speak about everything that's going on. Its so strange how Instagram makes everything seem so fine in people's lifes

Reactions: natali4, belladonnadreams, TheSoulless and 13 others
4eyebiped

4eyebiped

Mage
Dec 28, 2019
Red vs blue pill.

Reactions: Élégie, LetmeCTB566, demuic and 9 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Social media is not an accurate representation of reality. It is what people want others to see rather than reflecting the truth about their lives. Many people who appear to be enjoying life are likely to be miserable in reality. I see social media sites as being incredibly toxic as they can lead to many people having unrealistic expectations. Social media comes across as being incredibly shallow and narcissistic. I stay far away.

Reactions: Élégie, demuic, belladonnadreams and 12 others
solid_snake

solid_snake

Nov 27, 2021
Social media is cancer for the mind. It wastes your time and steals your destiny.

Reactions: Élégie, demuic, imjustherehi and 6 others
stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
It also largely depends on what kind of people/artists you follow on Insta.
I personally use it to browse memes, (absurd) photography, regional news, tattoo artists and some retro movie inspo.
I like my feed and it does not come off as overly happy or fake.

But if you follow food or travel blogger/vlogger/(fitness) models etc...you might get very different results and come to the conclusion that Insta per se is "toxic/overly happy" when in reality only this kind of content is.

Reactions: Élégie, belladonnadreams, Wolfjob_dayjob and 5 others
TheHatedOne

TheHatedOne

Death is salvation
Sep 26, 2021
Maybe an unpopular opinion but I find it so strange to kind of see the one side of the world on Instagram everything so colorful and happy. And then I see sanctioned suicide and wonder if I am in another dimension because people honestly and really speak about everything that's going on. Its so strange how Instagram makes everything seem so fine in people's lifes
The ''colorful'' and ''happy'' side you're describing is just plain fakeness. Instagram and the like are just popularity contests at their finest, a contest to satisfy the ego and everyone aims to picture the ''perfect life'' and be above everyone else. There's something completely different going behind the scenes. Empty people who try to distract themselves from the pointless existence by feeding their hungry ego that keeps on wanting more and more.

SS on the other hand? This site represents the reality and what actually life is about.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: Élégie, demuic, belladonnadreams and 8 others
solid_snake

solid_snake

Nov 27, 2021
The ''colorful'' and ''happy'' side you're describing is just plain fakeness. Instagram and the like are just popularity contests at their finest, a contest to satisfy the ego and everyone aims to picture the ''perfect life'' and be above everyone else. There's something completely different going behind the scenes. Empty people who try to distract themselves from the pointless existence by feeding their hungry ego that keeps on wanting more and more.

SS on the other hand? This site represents the reality and what actually life is about.
They are just accruing empty suffering to delude themselves into thinking the 'life script' they are getting sucked into is the right way to live life.
Society is pain.

Attachments

• modern-homosapien.jpeg
    modern-homosapien.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: imjustherehi, Rogue Proxy and TheHatedOne
ClownMe

ClownMe

Don't Cry for Me, I'm Already Dead
Apr 7, 2021
Social media isn't reality.

Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob, Rogue Proxy and TheHatedOne
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
Reactions: Élégie, Wolfjob_dayjob, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 4 others
B

BeBraveBrother

Student
Sep 5, 2020
Of course there are people who fake their photos and most try to make them appear more appealing than the situation they took them actually was.

Nevertheless it is also the truth that some are true to a certain degree and that not everything is fake. People travel to adeventourous and georgous places, people have fun, people meet interesting people, people have a wonderful time.
But I would assume that at least most of those people are not on instagram.
Instagram or any similar social platform is serving the same purpose as the "Status" pictures on whatsapp do: Showing other people that you are having a good time. Because if you are on the "winners side" more people feel attracted to you. It is the hope to reduce the bad times and neglecting parts of the truth that is making such platforms successfull. It is feeding on the fear to miss out the sweet things of life, and motivating people that are scared to not be part of those who have access to those moments.
Under almost every photo you can write the sentence: "Look at me, I am not missing out. Let me be part of the group of people that is enjoying life and be successfull."
That's why I assume that those who really are successfull don't need those platforms: they don't need to advertise for themselves or delude themselves and others.
They simply enjoy their time and if they take pictures and videos they only share them with their close friends or those people that were part of the situation when they took them. In order to remember that life can be good when they feel bad. Because they want to last what will never last forever.

Reactions: belladonnadreams
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I try to avoid instagram it makes me feel depressed. Journalists should rather do stories about that.

Reactions: imjustherehi and uselesswaste