K

Kruger

Arcanist
Dec 26, 2019
Posting this as it may be helpful to others: I contacted the Belgian authorities and they confirmed that foreign nationals can seek ethenasia there.
The prerequisites are that you must build a relationship with a doctor there - so you'd need to travel back and forth several times to establish that relationship

The patient's physician must:

• Inform the patient of the state of his/her health and life expectancy
  • Discuss with the patient his/her request for euthanasia and the therapeutic measures which can still be considered
  • Discuss the availability and consequences of palliative care. However, the patient does not have to have palliative options before choosing for euthanasia. It is no must, no obligation.

My next hurdle is to try and find a doctor there I can consult with.

• Love
Reactions: Bauhaus, puppy9, Pookie and 2 others
R

ronigail9

Student
Oct 5, 2019
A lot of those people don't like mental health CTBers, what are the exclusions?

Reactions: OrdinaryDay
xLosthopex

xLosthopex

Tell my dogs I love them
May 29, 2020
Do you have to pay for the euthanasia itself?

K

Kruger

Arcanist
Dec 26, 2019
Do you have to pay for the euthanasia itself?
I'm sure you do and the venue will be an issue as well. I can't go further until i find a pro-Euthenasia doctor, in my case it needs to be a neurosurgeon. You would have to travel back and forth several times to establish the necessary relationship with the doctor that the law requires.
They never listed any exclusions

J

JustLosingMyself

Mage
Sep 4, 2018
Just as an FYI, try the Flanders rather than Wallonia ir Brussels. The Flemish, from what I remember from a study are more pragmatic re euthanasia. If it's what you want and you qualify, it'll be done.

OrdinaryDay

OrdinaryDay

Hollow
Dec 6, 2019
Are you saying that only people with good mental health are welcome there?

Reactions: deletemyaccount1
B

Buffy5120

Death is vital
Mar 19, 2020
Just as an FYI, try the Flanders rather than Wallonia ir Brussels. The Flemish, from what I remember from a study are more pragmatic re euthanasia. If it's what you want and you qualify, it'll be done.
Whats their contact info im in NY i have conditions that definitely qualify because my conditions even qualified at Dignitas...? Do i have to fly seven times is not a problem but just wondering the whole process

J

JustLosingMyself

Mage
Sep 4, 2018
Whats their contact info im in NY i have conditions that definitely qualify because my conditions even qualified at Dignitas...? Do i have to fly seven times is not a problem but just wondering the whole process
Look for someone in Antwerpen (zip code 2xxx), East Flanders (Zip 9xxx) West Flanders (zip 8xxx), Flemish Brabant (zip 1500 to 1599, 3000 to 3500), Limburg ( zip 3501 to 3999), Brussels (zip 1000 to 1299). They are also more likely to speak English well than in Wallonia.

I can only quote what the study stated from memory; that the Flemish were less likely to offer palliative care if you wanted euthanasia and made fewer bones about as long as the law is respected. I'm not familiar with the process in full: I'd do it for psychiatric reasons and it's a bit more involved from what I understand.

Has more info. Google translate may help you along

Last edited:
K

Kruger

Arcanist
Dec 26, 2019
Not true, a woman was euthanised for anorexia, several people for depression and 2 guys because they feared going blind (they werent blind yet) and a woman who was unhappy with her female to male transgender surgery
For logistical reasons it needs to be Brussels for me. I already cannot fly due to a brain tumour - although its a hassle, I can get to brussels and back in a day for the consultations needd to build up the required relationship with a doctor.
Belgium does not have euthenasia clinics like they do in Switzerland. You have to build up a long term relationship with a dcotor by attending several consultations and then ask the doctor for it. So the venue will be a problem but i suppose one could rent an apartment or something

Last edited: