S

Soulful

I feel empty
Oct 25, 2023
I've been healing and trying to overcome my depression for the last few months. Well, technically longer than that, but only recently I've started going to therapy and was put on meds that actually seem to work. However, one issue I can't seem to be able to overcome is my inferiority complex. I feel like other people are prettier, smarter, more socially apt than me. I hate myself. Every time I look in the mirror I gag. I did put on some weight last year, but it's been like this even when I used to be underweight. I hate my face. And no matter how productive I get, I always have that in the back of my mind and it keeps me from doing my best in everything. Because I'll always be inferior, I won't change how I look. People will always see my face first and discard me. I don't believe that anyone could ever love someone as disgusting as myself. Sometimes I feel like the only solution would be to destroy this faulty vessel altogether. Why keep on trying and hurting myself even more? Please give me tips on how to start to love myself. I'm truly at a loss.

• Hugs
Reactions: MeltingBrain, godsseepiestsoldier, WAITING TO DIE and 2 others
avoid

avoid

⦿ ⦿
Jul 31, 2023
I have listed 3 hypothetical issues which may or may not be the cause of why you feel inferior to others. Whether you identify with any of them or none of them, I think it's worth doing the exercise either way.
  • You may have accepted your positive characteristics to the extent that you started to ignore them. For example, "I have beautiful eyes but who cares, acne has ruined my face."
  • You have stood in front of a mirror for such a long time that even the slightest imperfections seem like major flaws to you. For example, you wake up with a cow lick and want to get rid of it. You wet your hair and brush your hair for a long time but you can't get rid of it entirely. You still see that small irregularity because you know it's there, while others won't notice it at all.
  • Everyone wants to show their good sides in public while hiding their bad sides. So if you get to know a person better then you'll learn so much more about their good characteristics than their bad ones. This will result in comparing your true self (good and bad) with only the good sides of other people.
Exercise: write down 1, 2 or 3 positive things about yourself each morning before you start your day. These things can be anything—big or small. A characteristic, a body feature, something you did, or anything that shows your worth. Write them down in a notebook or on a piece of paper that you keep. Each morning, you should add another positive thing about yourself to this list without adding duplicates. My hope is that even if you have trouble writing something down, you'll still find something that you can appreciate about yourself after thinking about it.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: Soulful, AllCatsAreGrey and Rust20
WAITING TO DIE

WAITING TO DIE

TORMENTED
Sep 30, 2023
People are judgemental of everyone, even beautiful people are judged. No matter how beautiful or successful you are people will always talk about you behind your back and call you names. So I honestly wouldn't let myself be judged by others and the expectations of society.
I have an inferiority complex too, yet reached a point where I just decided to let go of being wary of what others think .
It was a huge relief to stop caring and just be myself instead of worrying how others perceived me.
I hope you find a way to let go too.

Reactions: Hollowman