Rounded Apathy

Rounded Apathy

Longing to return to stardust
Aug 8, 2022
TL;DR it may actually be better for you and I've got a guy to back it up.

Given that not much was able to happen in my corner of the world two years ago, I decided to try an experiment I'd hear of over a decade beforehand: washing one's hair with just water to allow it to achieve a kind of natural state of self-cleaning. It had already been a few years that I was just using a basic bar of glycerine soap for everything to great effect, so I figured "what the hell, no one sees and judges me anyway, might as well see what happens". And to my surprise, it was fine. There was hardly any difference, other people didn't notice when I saw them, so I kept doing it. Up to and including today, in fact.

Earlier this year, in the winter, as a result of a combination of misery and just being too blooming tired to deal with all the extra work that now comes with showering due to health reasons etc., I stopped showering as often as I had been, which was usually every other day. I started doing so every three, then four. Eventually I just decided to see how long I could go without doing so at all because of how much damn effort it was and the time it took for the now extra shit and how I no longer enjoyed doing it. Days went by, then weeks. I didn't notice much change. I explained my experiment and asked a coworker how long she thought it'd been since I had given my appearance and odour, and she guessed a few days - when it had been half a month. I was liking where this was going.

I forget how I came upon it; I think it was actually well before I did this. But there was a book written by a former Yale physician as well as several subsequent articles talking about it (and I'm just linking to the good ones), and others interviewing him for further info about his experience of basically not showering for a full five years. Across them, he explains how the organ of the skin, like the gut, has its own microbiome and letting it thrive and work in its own balance can usually be much better for our well being than indiscriminately killing off everything on it with excessive oversanitation.

Essentially, the hygiene industry sprang up pretty quick after soap became a ready-made commodity around the 1920's and was a way for the wealthy to differentiate themselves from people living in more impoverished, close-contact environments where diseases were more likely to spread. Cue typical classist/racist/predatory shit from now-megacorps like Proctor & Gamble, Johnson & Johnson, and so on. Of course over time, this stuff trickled down the social stratum; it became possible for the "lower" echelons of society to afford these products, they began to buy them, the corporations diversified, invented new shit no one needed, and so on. There went from being a single bar of soap for pretty much everything, to pretty much a different personal hygiene item for every theoretical application. Billions of dollars later, here we are.

He talks a bit too about the stigmatization of natural human aroma and other neat stuff, as well as how what he experienced may not be exactly replicable for every single other person. But I really liked it all given how much I hate a lot of the ogres he goes after, and figured since there's a good chance many here besides me might struggle to keep up with this "expected" behaviour, you might be better off not only giving yourself a pass, but celebrating your choice!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: rationaltake, freedompass, GenesAndEnvironment and 3 others
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
and she guessed a few days - when it had been half a month. I was liking where this was going.
6tu03j.jpg

• Yay!
Reactions: NumbItAll
Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

No chances to be happy - dead inside
Nov 25, 2021
Puts a new spin on "all-natural".

Reactions: rationaltake and Rounded Apathy
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
I think if you look a little harder you'll find that better hygiene played a large role in bringing about increased longevity.

Rounded Apathy

Rounded Apathy

Aug 8, 2022
I think if you look a little harder you'll find that better hygiene played a large role in bringing about increased longevity.
Doesn't seem like you checked out any of the links. He isn't anti hygiene, and neither am I. There is a difference between essential hygiene and the ridiculous, overinflated monetized notion of it that has been created by companies that sell products to fill these niches that they themselves have also created. Having armpits that occasionally smell other than a field of lilacs isn't a threat to anyone's health. A surgeon not washing their hands between patients is.

freedompass

freedompass

Warlock
Jan 27, 2021
Yes, I've read about this years ago. I'm sure it works and there's much truth of course in what you say about the multi billion dollar hygiene industry. Me personally I enjoy bathing/showering and how I feel afterwards so I do it willingly even if, as seems likely, there's no risk to health or bad consequences from abstaining.

• Love
Reactions: Rounded Apathy
Rounded Apathy

Rounded Apathy

Aug 8, 2022
Yes, I've read about this years ago. I'm sure it works and there's much truth of course in what you say about the multi billion dollar hygiene industry. Me personally I enjoy bathing/showering and how I feel afterwards so I do it willingly even if, as seems likely, there's no risk to health or bad consequences from abstaining.
Yes, even the guy in one of those excerpts said one of the situations in which he will sometimes still shower is on a cold morning. He was pretty good about not proselytizing, and I was trying to do the same. Just spread awareness that this is a rather new social convention largely pushed and backed by an monetary agenda, to promote critical thought about our habits, and that for some people there could even be benefits to scaling back the frequency.

If I still lived in a place with hot springs, you can bet your bottom dollar I'd be a regular attendee. Or if I had free access to some fancy hotel spa facility. I just don't, am miserable, and don't like showing in my house :tongue: