Anxieyote

Anxieyote

Sobriety over everything else • 30 • Midwest
Mar 24, 2021
I work for a local coffee shop, and my experience has been hell-ish. I've been there for about two months, and during that time, I've had two mental breakdowns and 1 visit to the psych ward. It's dawning on me that I need to either leave or die, because the job has been weighing on my mind so much.

I was thinking about not putting in my two weeks notice, but I read online that the company has a "do not rehire" list for people who left on bad terms.

Should I just stick out the two weeks in case I ever need to get hired back again? I don't have any other job lined up atm, but I can coast for awhile on my savings.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Toonloon, DeutscheKartoffel, blueclover_. and 6 others
cambrai33

cambrai33

Traveller
Nov 3, 2021
I work for a local coffee shop, and my experience has been hell-ish. I've been there for about two months, and during that time, I've had two mental breakdowns and 1 visit to the psych ward. It's dawning on me that I need to either leave or die, because the job has been weighing on my mind so much.

I was thinking about not putting in my two weeks notice, but I read online that the company has a "do not rehire" list for people who left on bad terms.

Should I just stick out the two weeks in case I ever need to get hired back again? I don't have any other job lined up atm, but I can coast for awhile on my savings.
Do the 2 weeks

It means you have options down the line if you need them, in addition, knowing you only have 2 weeks to go will make the time seem easier

It also gives you a reason to get up and look after yourself. Hope things work out for you, sometimes people on here give me reason for thought and your situation yesterday seemed like hell. I really wish the best for you friend

Reactions: blueclover_., Shadowplay and Wolfjob_dayjob
uselesswaste

uselesswaste

Dec 4, 2021
Yes, better give two weeks' notice and secretly search for another job if you can. It is my opinion, cause money problems can be more hell-ish too.

Reactions: Toonloon, blueclover_., nottheend and 1 other person
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
If it was me I would wait for 2 weeks they will fly by, and you never know you might need to work for another of its chains and therefore you will have a clean record of employment. We never know what life has in store for me. Wishing you good luck and hope you find something better. That you will like more.

Reactions: Toonloon, blueclover_. and Wolfjob_dayjob
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
Amazing to read your post as I'm in almost exactly the same situation. The only difference is that they are doing everything they can to stop me from leaving because they are constantly short of staff. My backup plan is to CTB so I have the perfect excuse to not go to work. :hihi:

• Yay!
Reactions: Toonloon, blueclover_., callme and 2 others
stellabelle

stellabelle

ethereal
Dec 14, 2018

They probably won't rehire anyway (sorry to sound negative, I'm just guessing here) based on the mental health challenges you have faced during the course of your employment.

I hate even writing "mental health challenges" - those words seem so strong and degrading when placed together like that. The stigma is so real it's not even funny.

Businesses care about one thing: profit.

The employee is what generates that profit.

When people can be replaced, and another body trained to perform the same tasks, the company can just continue "recycling" bodies to perform those tasks.

Remember the Disney film or book with sorcerer Mickey?
The brooms all do the work.

Think of sorcerer Mickey as the company itself, and the many brooms as the employees.

Anxieyote

Anxieyote

Sobriety over everything else • 30 • Midwest
Mar 24, 2021
They probably won't rehire anyway (sorry to sound negative, I'm just guessing here) based on the mental health challenges you have faced during the course of your employment.

I hate even writing "mental health challenges" - those words seem so strong and degrading when placed together like that. The stigma is so real it's not even funny.

Businesses care about one thing: profit.

The employee is what generates that profit.

When people can be replaced, and another body trained to perform the same tasks, the company can just continue "recycling" bodies to perform those tasks.

Remember the Disney film or book with sorcerer Mickey?
The brooms all do the work.

Think of sorcerer Mickey as the company itself, and the many brooms as the employees.
I've definitely been a liability to them while I was there.

I told my boss I wanted to quit yesterday, and she says she'll put me on the rehire list if I stay there for the next 2 weeks, so I decided to tough it out. Maybe my stay at the psych ward won't come up again if I re-apply at this same company down the road…I really hope so.

But yes, in terms of my value to the company right now—I have none. I'm bad at the job, I took two weeks off during the first couple months I worked there…I'm dead to them. I just hope everything that happened stays contained to that one store if I ever decide to re-apply.

Reactions: Toonloon and blueclover_.
stellabelle

stellabelle

ethereal
Dec 14, 2018
I've definitely been a liability to them while I was there.

I told my boss I wanted to quit yesterday, and she says she'll put me on the rehire list if I stay there for the next 2 weeks, so I decided to tough it out. Maybe my stay at the psych ward won't come up again if I re-apply at this same company down the road…I really hope so.

But yes, in terms of my value to the company right now—I have none. I'm bad at the job, I took two weeks off during the first couple months I worked there…I'm dead to them. I just hope everything that happened stays contained to that one store if I ever decide to re-apply.
Well that's good news that they'll work with you to keep you employed or employ you in the future.

I write only based on experience from previous employers and how they seemingly go about business.

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
I just wrote my letter of resignation using the below website's info. It's a good idea to go about it in this professional manner. If I were writing it alone in my current state, it would have been a tirade of abuse for no benefit.

• Love
Reactions: Toonloon and blueclover_.
callme

callme

I'm a loose cannon - I bang all the time.
Aug 15, 2021
Amazing to read your post as I'm in almost exactly the same situation. The only difference is that they are doing everything they can to stop me from leaving because they are constantly short of staff. My backup plan is to CTB so I have the perfect excuse to not go to work. :hihi:

Can't come tomorrow boss, I'll be knocking on Heaven's door.

• Hugs
  • Yay!
Reactions: Toonloon, Anxieyote, Pluto and 1 other person