• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Amumu

Amumu

Ctb - temporary solution for a permanent problem
Aug 29, 2020
I get the impression the problem in the US is more the huge division between Democrats and Republicans which has reached its climax in the population. I don't think it was the same situation in the 1990s tbh, people switched easily from George H. Bush to Clinton for instance

Last edited:
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
I get the impression the problem in the US is more the huge division between Democrats and Republicans which has reached its climax in the population.
The Republicans attempted and are still attempting a coup. They want to ignore the election results and instead establish a dictatorship. They feel it's more important for them to have power than preserve the democracy. Our founding fathers knew in advance this would happen. It's due to the Republican incompetence that they did not so far succeed.

• Aww..
Reactions: Homecoming
Amumu

Amumu

Ctb - temporary solution for a permanent problem
Aug 29, 2020
The Republicans attempted and are still attempting a coup. They want to ignore the election results and instead establish a dictatorship. They feel it's more important for them to have power than preserve the democracy. Our founding fathers knew in advance this would happen. It's due to the Republican incompetence that they did not so far succeed.
Well we'll see the situation in January @Meditation guide :wink:

Gnip

Gnip

Bill the Cat
Oct 10, 2020
General Claire Chennault did everything he could to convince the US to stay in China and fight the communists, but he was unable to, for 2 reasons:
1. The US military brass hated Chennault.
2. US politicians considered Chang a dictator.
So, petty office politics doomed China to communism. As an American I feel awful about it, because we could have stopped it but did nothing. Most Americans don't even know that we had a huge air force right there in China and an American General chomping at the bit to bomb Mao to hell.
Nothing we can do about it now...
Sorry we abandoned you, China.

How do you regard Vinegar Joe Stillwell?

M

mediocre

trapped here
Nov 9, 2019
I think they know Trump is their last chance to be in power. The era of the Reagan/bush type republican is long gone and without Trumps influence they will continue to lose elections in the future. It really is now the Trump party.

Gnip

Gnip

Bill the Cat
Oct 10, 2020
I think they know Trump is their last chance to be in power. The era of the Reagan/bush type republican is long gone and without Trumps influence they will continue to lose elections in the future. It really is now the Trump party.

Fortunately for us as members of this site, it's all meaningless, since none of them have any say or jurisdiction over what we are doing here.

Good4Nothing

Good4Nothing

Unlovable
May 8, 2020
Not very highly. I don't think a worse man could have been picked for that job, honestly. What did he really accomplish? He spent the whole war training a land army for what was clearly an air war.
I'm pulling punches... The man was an idiot.
I'm interested in your opinion, if you have one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gnip
Gnip

Gnip

Bill the Cat
Oct 10, 2020
Not very highly. I don't think a worse man could have been picked for that job, honestly. What did he really accomplish? He spent the whole war training a land army for what was clearly an air war.
I'm pulling punches... The man was an idiot.

I'm interested in your opinion, if you have one.

Chennault was the man, and he seemed to be very much more on the same page with Wedermeyer than Stillwell. Truman dropped the ball on China. Chaing's regime may have been corrupt, but all of them are, and if Mao had been defeated, that would have prevented the eventual deaths of tens of millions of human lives (upwards of 40 million by some estimates, more than double Taiwan's entire population during Mao's Cultural Revolution).

Democratization does not appear to be on the horizon for mainland China, regardless of the triumph of Capitalism over nominal Communism there.