demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
I started watching this series called "Obsession" (first aired on 2009) on YouTube which is about people with OCD/extreme anxiety related problems, and the comments on many of these videos were so ignorant. So much calling the people dramatic, silly, crazy, saying they just need to get over it, etc.

On one video there was a girl who was overweight who had a fear of food being contaminated so she was afraid of food, had many people trying to claim that she was faking and doing it for attention because she wasn't outwardly showing anxiety or having a panic attack and she isn't skinny.... even though it was explained in the video that she could only eat processed foods and soda due to her anxiety.

And besides that, people of any weight can have an eating disorder or problems with eating... and just because you aren't panicking on the outside, doesn't mean you aren't suffering on the inside. I guess that's why these people always think "OMG THERE WERE NO SIGNS!!" whenever someone CTBs, as if people should always be walking around with some billboard broadcasting all the problems they're undergoing in life. And if people do actually decide to outwardly show symptoms of having a problem, you judge them even worse for it, and still call them attention seeking, but now they're dramatic, overemotional, and need to get over it. Then they wonder why no one tries to get help for their problems. You really can't win.

And then there were the people telling them to seek Jesus to fix there problems, sigh.

I do sometimes forget just how callous and ignorant people can be. I truly hate all the ignorance and lack of respect toward mental illness. When these are the type of people that know if they were to face any type of mental illness like this, they wouldn't even be able to handle it, they would be the first ones trying to catch the bus, lol.

It does make me appreciate being here on SS even more.

• Love
Reactions: mimiopo22, Deleted member 1496, Meditation guide and 8 others
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
Having a mental illness should not define an individual. We should see them as humans with issues on the side; not a walking illness with a person attached to it.

Reactions: Stick
Stick

Stick

Experienced
Aug 31, 2020
When I tell people I'm suffering and I try to open up irl, they don't believe me. They think I'm dramatic. It's only when my problems begin to affect them do I get "sympathy". They don't want me to feel better, they want me to stop making them feel worse. When I die, I don't think they will have expected it.
Honestly though, I don't think it's malicious in most people. I think most people are truly incapable of understanding our mental processes and can't come to any other conclusion besides "they are faking it".

• Love
Reactions: Lostandlooking, Sprite_Geist and demuic
T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
Always been the case always will be. The majority love to feel superior at others expense, usually because of their own personal failures that have led to insecurities.
Or on rare occasions some people are genuinely un educated on mental illness, which you can fair to say idiocy/lack of intelligence is mental illness in itself.

• Love
Reactions: mimiopo22 and demuic