Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
All we have is the present moment. Life is many moments, but they all at one time or another are the present moment. The past and future arent real.

We wrongly measure a good life based on the amount of good moments vs the amount of bad moments.

Last edited:
Reactions: 710 and cgrtt.brns
MeltingBrain

MeltingBrain

Mage
May 29, 2023
We wrongly measure a good life based on the amount of good moments vs the amount of bad moments.
If you've had one good moment or one good day, you've already lived a good life.
Couldn't disagree with you enough .
For a worthwhile life, good moments need to outweigh the bad otherwise it's just suffering all the way .

If you've had one good moment or one good day, you've already lived a good life.
Keep your hand on your heart and tell me , can you look into the eyes of a child having stage 4 cancer and say these words ?

Reactions: Lamentice and lachrymost
alurem

alurem

Remilia Alucard, Magical Girl
Jun 14, 2023
very fair, the future doesn't exist and the past is just a memory, all that exists is the present.

Reactions: Ambivalent1
cgrtt.brns

cgrtt.brns

wandering ghost (he/him)
Apr 19, 2023
interesting way to put it. if ive understood you correctly i kinda agree, life is just a series of moments, a good moment means a good life (in that moment). but i think it can be helpful to compare the good and bad moments, like for example if youre in an unhealthy relationship but you sometimes have good moments together, overall its still not a good relationship to be in. personally i feel my bad moments far outweigh my good moments to the point that the good moments arent worth it if that makes sense. sorry if i misunderstood.

Reactions: Ambivalent1 and psp3000
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
Couldn't disagree with you enough .
For a worthwhile life, good moments need to outweigh the bad otherwise it's just suffering all the way .

Keep your hand on your heart and tell me , can you look into the eyes of a child having stage 4 cancer and say these words ?
Yes I could (but not to the child because the child wouldn't understand) because as I said, a good life is measured by the moment, not the accumulation of them. In the child's case, as well as the rest of us really, his/her moments of suffering indicates she has a bad life. Most lives are good lives and bad lives.

A baby that dies soon after birth would have had no good moments or the capability to enjoy anything.

Reactions: cgrtt.brns
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
It would work if we didn't have memories. Or- if good memories were more powerful than bad ones. (Not always the case.)

It also depends of course on your quality of life in general and your views towards it. If you enjoy working, cleaning, cooking, looking after yourself and others- you'll likely have a grand time living in the 'now'. Most people have to do enormous amounts of things they don't enjoy to earn the few things they do. If you're able to reframe your thinking- so that everything becomes 'fine'- then yes- you'll survive this world.

Personally though- I think what constitutes a 'good' life is very much up to the individual. We all have different expectations in life. We all have different expectations of ourselves. I expect the cause of a lot of unhappiness these days is that our expectations are too high. I'd argue we have been shaped to think like that though- it tends to make us earn and spend more money.

If you're looking to 'recover' and you haven't aready- I recommend you check out Eckhart Tolle's book: 'The Power of Now.'

Reactions: cgrtt.brns