• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

If you have depression, do you have a clear idea of what caused it?

• Total voters
P

papisprite

Feb 4, 2024
When I was around 7-8 I began having suicidal tendencies, and a couple months later I was diagnosed with depression. Nobody really understood what was wrong with me, and I didn't either. It's been like this for a long long time.

T

TiredOfAllThis

Arcanist
Feb 5, 2024
Yes. A lot of abuse and traumas throughout the whole life.

B

BlessedBeTheFlame

All things are nothing to me
Feb 2, 2024
Yes, the fact that I am a worthless subhuman parasite. Who fucking care what it is. Everyone should just die anyway

d3ad

d3ad

Mar 15, 2023
Childhood trauma and financial problems

Reactions: TiredOfAllThis
S

seekingrelease22

Student
Feb 28, 2024
For me it is mainly, TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) as infant because of my parents, toxic relationships between parents, ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Syndrome), potential ASD (Asperger Spectrum Disorder), bullying partly because of race, living paycheck to paycheck, relative poverty especially if you where on a public school for the "educational elite", isolation, having your grandfathers family home expropriated, while other half of the family is really RICH. But i still feel like a fraud about it, like i don't deserve to die and have to live, because my conditions are not as bad as others, who have it far worse.
I've had the feeling I have to live cuz I don't have it as bad as wel

cjs0712

cjs0712

Waiting to die
Feb 8, 2024
Realistically, the environment that I grew up in, and lack of exercise.

• Hugs
Reactions: tbroken
W

WhereMyDreamsWent

An idiot.
May 9, 2023
Idk. Maybe. But from what I know. Me and my siblings all have suicidal thoughts before. And my mother did often tell us to kill ourselves when we were kids. Not depression but suicidal ideation. But I guess it could be caused it as well. Idk

• Hugs
Reactions: Parnate
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
Being autistic is inherently depressing

Developing an invisible painful physical ailment was the icing on the shitcake

bunny_brownie9

bunny_brownie9

so terribly lost
Jan 1, 2024
don't have depression as I have bipolar & have severe depressive episodes.

an extremely traumatic childhood lead to debilitating CPTSD and it's all connected.

• Hugs
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
A big failure in life.

• Hugs
thinvy

thinvy

Woefully Yours, Luka
Aug 7, 2023
I was the rejected child. my older sibling could never do any wrong, but when they did, it was never their fault. meanwhile I was only given attention when i fought for it (and was treated like a burden for that), or when I was being punished for anything.
only my dad loved me unconditionally, and he's been gone a long time.
from there on it just compounded from so many other things

Reactions: RosesFlourish
p1aynot

p1aynot

Jan 22, 2024
Because of my mother's suicide

• Love
Reactions: RosesFlourish and Sylveon
lixt

lixt

Entropy guides me until death reaches me.
Dec 14, 2023
I believe the reason of my depression was a trauma I gave myself. I never related to people in a "correct" way and I made people hate me. So the reason for my depression was me.

• Love
Reactions: xxpinkmoonglitterxx and Sylveon
Dark Moon

Dark Moon

Wizard
Sep 21, 2022
Me being Asperger, childhood bullying/trauma, genetics and probably the environment caused it for me.

P

Parnate

Student
Dec 16, 2021
Its biochemical, genetic in my case

Reactions: ExitEd
SadLad

SadLad

Feb 9, 2024
I am the product of negative reinforcement, my depression is entirely environmental.

mob

mob

Student
Jul 19, 2023
It's hard to pinpoint what exactly caused it. But I'd assume my family, traumatic experiences, school.

I

ihavenothingleft

Jul 30, 2023
My life the fact that I'm not academic. the fact that I'm artistic and most artistic jobs are being taken over by ai. The fact that I'm a fat woman,the fact that I now have schizophrenia and have to be on disease causing drugs my entire life.the fact that I'm severely dyslexic. The fact that I have no sex drive or ant drive at all. The fact that I'm useless for the sexual market. Ugly body can't orgasm. The fact that I ruined my life by quitting my job in order to get a better one only now to be working in a even shittier retail place then before.

• Hugs
divinemistress36

divinemistress36

Visionary
Jan 1, 2024
I have a 23 and me account. Based on genetics like mine it says 50 out of 100 people have depression . So science is now proving genetics is a big contributer to depression

Silent_cries

Silent_cries

I wish I could delete my trauma...
Aug 10, 2021
I know most of the reasons yes:
-Being bullied and not fitting in at school.
-my autism
-Having my special needs neglected my entire life, first by school, then by the government.
-Having my mental health neglected by proffessional numerous times
-Eventually becoming rly angry with everything and mentalky fucked due to all of this causing me to do horrible things and make horrible choices in my life.
-Having no one to go to who'll take me seriously anymore due to the horrible things I did.
-The fact that no one trusts me anymore or belives me anymore.
-The fact that I will never get a job anymore bc I have a criminal record.

I could go on, but yeah, I have a lot of reasons, left some out on purpose too bc some are too personal for me to share online.

TL.DR: Society fucked me up, and then I fucked myself up even more.

• Hugs
E

ExitEd

Mar 13, 2024
It seems to be genetic in my case. Two of my siblings have ctb. My mom was depressed and moody as far back as I can remember.

• Hugs
RosesFlourish

RosesFlourish

There’s a chance I could make it
Feb 16, 2024
Mine is definitely because of trauma!!

-My uncle claimed to be my god-given guardian angel so he could abuse me for over a year when I was 12 (thankfully got out because he got in trouble with the law. He's sitting in prison for attempted murder)

-Getting touched by a teacher in middle school and asked by my classmates if I enjoyed getting raped by him

-My father told me he'd be ok with incest in the family and therefore also put his hands on me… he sat in jail for two years after that night and didn't have to register as a sex offender after moving out of state

-Getting treated like garbage at food jobs that called me slow and stupid, but also kept me because they couldn't hire anyone else and I didn't have any other job opportunities at that time

-Romantic partners that were rude at best and abusive at worst

It took me a long time to find a stable job where I'm treated as helpful, my parter who is super loving and a small circle of family that I trust. Years of therapy and meds later, I'm doing ok. Not cured, but most days I feel good.

• Hugs
A

AnneHiro

a miserable little pile of secrets
Mar 9, 2024
I'm not a psychologist, and anything I could say on the matter should be taken with an entire shaker of salt, but I think that the way we understand inner well-being - and the language we use with regard to it - are somewhat imprecise and misleading.

We call it mental "health." Those who have studied it are "doctors" of psychology/psychiatry. The chronically melancholy "have depression." But it's fundamentally quite different from other fields of medicine. It isn't nearly as cut-and-dry.

I'm absolutely NOT saying that it isn't as important to understand or that professionals in the field aren't doing the best that anyone could presently be doing or that those suffering from what we're calling psychological "disorders" aren't truly suffering. What I mean is that state of mind isn't as simple as physical health, and lived experience isn't as simple as medical pathology, and to view it through the same lense and attempt to solve its problems in the same ways is somewhat counterproductive.

A "healthy" mind is defined by its ability to function within society, but we never say that society is "sick" when a significant portion of its people are unable to function in it. We underatand there to be a "typical" neurorype, and others are "divergent" from that ideal model. I think that this is a flawed understanding, and the best treatment that can be devised through this line of thinking is akin to a band-aid.

I would compare modern psychologists to surgeon-barbers during the time of the black plague. They truly wanted to help, and sometimes they accidentally kept people from infection, and their efforts went on to inform what would become the study of medicine, but they did not have a working understanding of the condition they aimed to remedy, and that severely limited their effectiveness.

All of this is to say that, though we may be chronically and debilitatingly unhappy, I do not believe it is correct or useful to say that we have acquired a malady that has a traceable pathology that can be treated or cured through conventional therapies, as we understand them. We're letting blood because we don't know about the fleas.

Reactions: RosesFlourish and ExitEd
E

ExitEd

Mar 13, 2024
I'm not a psychologist, and anything I could say on the matter should be taken with an entire shaker of salt, but I think that the way we understand inner well-being - and the language we use with regard to it - are somewhat imprecise and misleading.

We call it mental "health." Those who have studied it are "doctors" of psychology/psychiatry. The chronically melancholy "have depression." But it's fundamentally quite different from other fields of medicine. It isn't nearly as cut-and-dry.

I'm absolutely NOT saying that it isn't as important to understand or that professionals in the field aren't doing the best that anyone could presently be doing or that those suffering from what we're calling psychological "disorders" aren't truly suffering. What I mean is that state of mind isn't as simple as physical health, and lived experience isn't as simple as medical pathology, and to view it through the same lense and attempt to solve its problems in the same ways is somewhat counterproductive.

A "healthy" mind is defined by its ability to function within society, but we never say that society is "sick" when a significant portion of its people are unable to function in it. We underatand there to be a "typical" neurorype, and others are "divergent" from that ideal model. I think that this is a flawed understanding, and the best treatment that can be devised through this line of thinking is akin to a band-aid.

I would compare modern psychologists to surgeon-barbers during the time of the black plague. They truly wanted to help, and sometimes they accidentally kept people from infection, and their efforts went on to inform what would become the study of medicine, but they did not have a working understanding of the condition they aimed to remedy, and that severely limited their effectiveness.

All of this is to say that, though we may be chronically and debilitatingly unhappy, I do not believe it is correct or useful to say that we have acquired a malady that has a traceable pathology that can be treated or cured through conventional therapies, as we understand them. We're letting blood because we don't know about the fleas.
Yeah, there is something off about our understanding of mental health. The chemical imbalance theory of depression was just speculation and has been somewhat debunked. I'm extremely skeptical of talk therapy too. We don't really understand the problem or how to treat it. But I do think genes and our environment and experiences during our formative years are major factors. Stress and lack of resources can cause us to shut down too.

theboy

theboy

Illuminated
Jul 15, 2022
there are some factors that led me to mental disorders although I have also been told that it is innate.