N

NoPoint2Life

Why is this so hard?
Aug 31, 2024
I mean besides here. Last year I made two attempts. Both were stupid, but the first one to this day the only one that knows is the therapist for my OCD that I had been seeing last year.
But for the second one I was found and ended up inpatient. To explain to the neighbors why an ambulance had come, my parents were honest with a few neighbors that inquired. I'm sure word spread like wildfire. I live in a complex with 25 houses and they are all nosy.
Then I found out that my parents told everyone they know. We luckily do not have a large family or many close friends but because so many people knew I was struggling with severe OCD and they ask about me, they ended up telling everyone. There was like one person in our extended family that she never mentioned it to, but we're pretty sure someone else in the family told them. I thought my dad would at least keep his mouth shut, but I overheard him two different times on the phone with friends talking about it.
On top of it, my mom even showed my note to four people. Her two closest friends and my two cousins. I still can't believe they had to make things more difficult for me.

• Hugs
Reactions: UnrulyNightmare
Davey40210

Davey40210

Even the stars make room for new stars
Sep 3, 2024
Omg terrible parents.. they are probably coping with it by talking about it with other people.. but without any regard to your feelings.

Reactions: NoPoint2Life
S

seasonsdied

Sep 28, 2024
Why does it always feel like most bad parents are also the ones who crave attention at the cost of their children.

N

NoPoint2Life

Why is this so hard?
Aug 31, 2024
Why does it always feel like most bad parents are also the ones who crave attention at the cost of their children.
Honestly, my parents are not bad people at all. If anything, my mother just believes in telling the truth. Guess my dad just went along with it.

PixelPlant

PixelPlant

smile, you’ve lived :)
Aug 15, 2023
Only my therapist knows. I don't want my parents or my other family members to know cause well… it's embarrassing

d-tea

d-tea

Apr 7, 2024
My partner does; they're the reason why I don't have any long term damage from it/am still here. So does their dad, which I dont mind. I didn't want work or my family to know; I also told a friend who lives in a different country while I was at the hospital, to be able to vent and joke about it so I feel less stressed about it. Thinking of a proper lie and keeping it up in front of family and keeping the staff from talking was extremely stressful in that situation.

My colleagues at work and family keep pestering me about drinking less caffeine because of the excuse I gave for being at the hospital, which is annoying.
Honestly, my parents are not bad people at all. If anything, my mother just believes in telling the truth. Guess my dad just went along with it.
It's an extreme invasion of your right to privacy regarding very private matters, imo. You should NOT have to feel judged by basically strangers in that situation; you should be able to trust your parents to keep matters secret if it makes you feel more comfortable. Even if they are good people otherwise, this is very much not okay and can destroy trust in the relationship. If they're recipient to stuff like that, maybe voice how betrayed that made you feel, while trying to keep a non accusatory tone. Perhaps that could help in the future, if they are open to learning/changing.

Last edited:
M

metothemoon

Feb 11, 2024
sounds terrible to be talked about.
Little people know what/when I attempted. Mostly just health care providers. Can't bear to tell my mom. Dont think she would understand..

J

justkatie

Aug 25, 2024
I'm open about my attempts to people if it comes up. I'm not ashamed that I've had enough of life and I don't think talking about it should be taboo. Maybe I can help people who are struggling to understand that they're not alone or even just to make more people aware of the struggled involved.

It's not something I'd bring up at a dinner party however.