Elzar

Elzar

Feb 11, 2024
SN and the Inert Gas method (Exit Bag) - which would be preferable you think?

Would the Helium still work If you can't breathe in deeply?
Ideally you should exhale all air from your lungs before breathing in the helium to lose consciousness quickly and not suffer.
Is it reasonable to assume that it should still work and not be painful, just take a little longer?

SN would be more difficult, if you have difficulty swallowing, I would guess.
50ml is not much, but if you can only take many little sips...
And you can't just try it, if you start but cannot get it down completely, things might get really difficult.
Is there a method to get the SN down reliably if you can only swallow little be little?

What do you guys think?

Reactions: vampire2002
C

chester

Student
Aug 1, 2024
Technically the inert gas method should still work, because you wouldn't get any fresh oxygen anyway, BUT it would take you much longer to pass out (compared to someone who can properly hyperventilate) and there would be a lot of discomfort resulting from carbon dioxide, possibly leading to a failed attempt. I wouldn't recommend it. I don't have much to say about SN because I don't know much about it.

Reactions: Elzar
Elzar

Elzar

Feb 11, 2024
Technically the inert gas method should still work, because you wouldn't get any fresh oxygen anyway, BUT it would take you much longer to pass out (compared to someone who can properly hyperventilate) and there would be a lot of discomfort resulting from carbon dioxide, possibly leading to a failed attempt. I wouldn't recommend it.
Yeah I read somewhere that that's likely what would happen and that inert gas is therefore not advised for people with respiratory problems.
I do wonder why though (a little bit).

If You put an ordinary plastic bag over your head and seal it, you can breathe quite comfortably for a little while - so a couple of breaths worth of carbon dioxide doesn't seem to cause undue discomfort.
It gets bad after a while for sure, but under an Exit Bag, which has a constant flow through of new inert gas, it shouldn't really be able to accumulate to that degree, I think? If anything it should get better.
But that's probably wishful thinking on my part.

B

babouflo201223

Aug 18, 2024
But how (where) can you find an "exit bag" ? I'm looking for but no result. Does it mean that you have to do it by yourself with something like a special installation ? Thank you.

Elzar

Elzar

Feb 11, 2024
But how (where) can you find an "exit bag" ? I'm looking for but no result. Does it mean that you have to do it by yourself with something like a special installation ? Thank you.
You can make one yourself. Read this thread.

Reactions: babouflo201223
LittleBit

LittleBit

Aug 26, 2024
If you get the helium from a welding supply store it'll be 99% purity. If you buy balloon helium, its not pure, there is oxygen in there.
Carbon dioxide shouldn't be an issue unless you've tightened the bag too much around your neck. It takes less than a minute to pass out from inert gas, so its much faster to lose consciousness compared to SN. SN you have to deal with an upset stomach and vomiting unless you have meto, and even then people still vomit. The biggest concern with exit bag method is dislodging the bag, that's why you strap yourself to a chair. Inert Gas/exit bag method requires more technical know how, but honestly its not that complicated. I would prefer Inert gas, nitrogen or helium. Inert gas method is more costly too.

Reactions: Elzar
Elzar

Elzar

Feb 11, 2024
If you get the helium from a welding supply store it'll be 99% purity. If you buy balloon helium, its not pure, there is oxygen in there.
I do have 99% pure helium. So that would not be the problem. It's relatively easy to get in Germany.

Carbon dioxide shouldn't be an issue unless you've tightened the bag too much around your neck. It takes less than a minute to pass out from inert gas, so its much faster to lose consciousness compared to SN.
That's what I think would be logical, yeah.

Elzar

Elzar

Feb 11, 2024
Thank you, interesting but seems not easy at all when you don't live in USA...
It's not completely trivial no matter where you live. The PPH is also a good source to read. Maybe that helps.

Reactions: babouflo201223
Elzar

Elzar

Feb 11, 2024
Since I have doubts, if I can swallow 50ml of SN without choking, could mixing it with a grated apple or mashed banana be a good solution? Pretty sure I can could get that down - I just don't know how that might interfere with it's effectiveness and also with the likelihood of keeping it "down" in my stomach.

Any thoughts?