• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
This thread is a deeper dive and an expansion of the argument of allowing concessions and compromises with regards to the right to die. In many previous threads I have discussed that if only pro-lifers were reasonable (which they are not!) and accepted some form of concessions or compromise, meaning that they would accept having policy that would respect a person's bodily autonomy while still ensuring that people don't get pushed into making choices that they wouldn't otherwise, then we'd be better off and this right to die would be less of a conflict or contention. So far, the right to die issue has always been a sensitive topic and more-so a contention/conflict because pro-lifers refuse to allow any concessions or compromises with regards to policy, but rather just a blanket prohibition on the right to choose death at all (barring terminally ill people and even then it's not guaranteed). @Forever Sleep

As a result of this, we continue to see people who are desperate enough choose risky, barbaric, and harmful methods that may result in a brutal death, or even in some cases, cause collateral damage due to unwilling participants. This all could be prevented and avoided if we just had a framework policy that allowed people who really wanted to die to be able to access them, such as a clinic. Having such a clinic would be the compromise in which impulsive and barbaric methods would not be necessary and those who "truly" wish to die can have that option and not feel trapped. There would be many safeguards, including a waiting period to ensure that those who wish to die are given the opportunity to change their mind at every step and more. Any person who is found to be under duress (being forced, coerced instead of making their decision on their own), making impulsive decisions, or not sound of mind (meaning that they don't understand their choice or the consequences of it) would be barred until they can meet the criteria for it.

Furthermore, I want to address the argument of abuse and also irrationality. The argument that abuse can happen is a valid concern, but is not sufficient reason to indefinitely and permanently forbade people from exercising their bodily autonomy. There are always going to be bad actors, but we don't forbid everything just because some bad actors with malicious intentions would abuse said power, instead of hold those 'malicious actors' responsible and accountable through the legal system.

One such story would be where in the Netherlands a woman was suffering for many years, being in prison for crimes, in the psychiatric ward for her illnesses, and eventually was given the green light for voluntary euthanasia. However, had she been in the US or any other country that doesn't have very liberal laws pertaining to voluntary euthanasia and the right to die, she would be indefinitely kept alive against her will with all the pro-lifers gloating about how they kept someone entrapped in existence, suffering, and out of sight, out of mind. Then of course, there will be an endless battery of treatments, medications, drugs, and/or therapies (including new ones) that are imposed on the poor woman in the minuscule event that she somehow recovers. This would of course, be very unfair and unethical to her as almost every other country would just hold her hostage to sentience and suffering for something that may/not ever become reality. Fortunately, she did not have to endure such a fate and I wished that the US and most other countries around the world was like the Netherlands in that regard.

Another example would be a distraught person who had a bad relationship and after many years of trying to improve, they did not manage to do so and continue to suffer. To be more specific in this hypothetical (yet common) example would be suppose there is a teenager (maybe about 14-15 years of age) being distraught over their own issues, be it a breakup, a loss, a bad grade, or whatever (the reasoning is irrelevant though). And in the interim they are stopped because it was impulsive and/or not thought-out, but later on, if they still are feeling bothered or troubled by such events in their teens (even as an adult), then they should be given the option to check out peacefully and with dignity rather than suffering indefinitely for some rare, minute chance that they would just recover.

Reasonable compromise/concession:
A reasonable concession and/or compromise would be something like having a waiting period, give said person options to seek help, but don't deny the option of death being a valid solution (after exhausting other treatments first), and then after some given time as well as honest effort on said person's part, then said person will be given the green light to CTB and/or seek assisted death to be free of suffering. That would be a good concession in which the person isn't acting impulsively, is given many chances to try to fix the problem, and in the end, if to no avail, the person is at least free from suffering rather than being held hostage to a failed system with no relief (until natural causes or other cause of death). This would be the fairest option, but as long as this is never an option as per pro-lifers, there will continue to be desperate people who will resort to risky means, possibly causing collateral damage in the process, traumatizing others. That would be the consequence of a prohibitive society when it comes to the right to die.

In the end, it shouldn't matter whatever the reason is, but perpetual and total prohibition of the right to die doesn't solve any problems; it only traps the people whom the system and those in power have failed hostage to an unwanted existence full of suffering. It also makes certain people desperate enough that they try to do risky DIY methods in secrecy and with varying degrees of results, some in failure, some successful but brutal. Of course, many pro-lifers don't really consider (let alone care) about the consequences of these paternalistic, intrusive, and harmful tyrannical policies that the government enacts in addition to the prohibition and banning of peaceful, reliable methods. Then ironically, they cry and lament when they end up facing the (unwanted) outcomes and consequences of the prohibitive society.

TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
Bumping this topic just in case it was buried or unable to be found.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

She wished that she never existed...
Sep 24, 2020
It'd be better than nothing having a system for assisted suicide like that but of course pro-life people are way too selfish and deluded to support it. Where I live it's not even legalised for anyone at all which is beyond hellish, it really does disgust me how many humans wish to deny others the option of a painless death.

ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
I like this system and I wish they could implement something like this though, sadly, they never will. In many places across the world currently, people of any age aren't allowed to die peacefully no matter what they're going through. If such a system were to be implemented (which I doubt it ever will), I think that it would become a reality in a millennium or two, no sooner

U

UKscotty

Doesn't read PMs
May 20, 2021
I think the money and resources would be better directed at recovery to be honest.

People who truly want to CTB will already find a way. Our main problem is our SI, not access to methods. Having someone else kill us will still not overcome the SI.

For people with physical ailments or severe old age, we should have something, buts it's an open secret most doctors will help these people already with things like a morphine overdose etc.

TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
It'd be better than nothing having a system for assisted suicide like that but of course pro-life people are way too selfish and deluded to support it. Where I live it's not even legalised for anyone at all which is beyond hellish, it really does disgust me how many humans wish to deny others the option of a painless death.
Yeah sadly in the UK it's a hellhole of suffering created by the prolifers there... not to mention the evergrowing and existing paternalistic policies that are imposed onto its' citizens.

I like this system and I wish they could implement something like this though, sadly, they never will. In many places across the world currently, people of any age aren't allowed to die peacefully no matter what they're going through. If such a system were to be implemented (which I doubt it ever will), I think that it would become a reality in a millennium or two, no sooner
I sure hope it comes within our lifetimes (in my 30's currently and assuming normal US life expectancy, I'll probably have at least another 50 awful years to endure this shitshow, if natural causes or other cause of death doesn't come sooner), but realistically, it will probably not happen. What I believe may happen is more states and jurisdictions having death with dignity for the terminally ill, and then maybe some (probably too optimistic though) states with existing DWD laws expanded to those with incurable, intolerable, chronic suffering. As far as having a policy like the one I described in this thread, yeah, probably very unlikely though..

I think the money and resources would be better directed at recovery to be honest.

People who truly want to CTB will already find a way. Our main problem is our SI, not access to methods. Having someone else kill us will still not overcome the SI.

For people with physical ailments or severe old age, we should have something, buts it's an open secret most doctors will help these people already with things like a morphine overdose etc.
Perhaps it might be better off aimed at recovery for those who want to live, but the right to die should be something that is supported and upheld as well.

With regards to your sentences, I would say that those who truly want to CTB, I only partially agree because not everyone has access to the method of their choice, let alone be able to execute it without interference, knowledge, and correct execution. Even assuming that they are able to do so, they would still have to make sure that they do things properly otherwise it would result in a failed/botched attempt which comes with many permanent (awful) consequences, not limited to being a vegetable, permanently crippled, and then living a far worse life than prior to an attempt. On the point of SI, yes that is a problem which varies from individual to individual, but I would like to claim that peaceful methods would lower the chances of someone's SI (again, probably subjective) getting in the way, hence peaceful and dignified exits are more likely to succeed due to it not only being reliable, but also does not induce one's SI (at least not enough for the SI to interfere with one's conscious effort at the attempt). In addition to this, even assuming that people are able to find a method, if they don't have access to peaceful methods, they end up choosing brutal, traumatic methods, which of course, has less success rates than other peaceful methods in general, and also leave behind collateral damage to unwilling participants and third parties (there are people who don't care but for those who do, that would hamper their ability to exercise their right to die).

For physical ailments or severe old age, yes we should have programs and policies that give them an option to leave this world peacefully and on their own terms. While there are medical professionals who will help those in pain and suffering leave with more haste, I don't know of any (even though I believe you and know that they exist out there), do you have particular examples (not just the high profile or famous cases in history, e.g. Dr. Jack Kevorkian) where there are doctors that will do such a thing, but under a secret treatment?

Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
Pro-lifers are mostly religious. Most religious people take the attitude "We are right and everyone else is wrong". So you can forget about compromise. The only way to deal with people like that is to defeat them.

TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
Pro-lifers are mostly religious. Most religious people take the attitude "We are right and everyone else is wrong". So you can forget about compromise. The only way to deal with people like that is to defeat them.
Yes, that is true, especially with the majority of them (even those who appear to be culturally religious or even secular in most other facets), and I do believe that as the world becomes more and more secular, especially the Western world and most other developed countries. Perhaps over time, there will be much more secular people and/or those who see that death is an option rather than needlessly promoting life as the default stance/preference. Furthermore, I believe once enough people have experienced suffering and knowing that it is not always in the best interest of another to prolong life at all costs, and that bodily autonomy should extend to one's choice of living or dying on one's own terms, then that would be a step in the right direction, the seeds of change. Finally, I also believe that with how the world is going, barring finding a solution and if things get "bad enough" perhaps people will start to see death as an option to avoid worse suffering.

Reactions: Linda