Iwouldratherdie

Iwouldratherdie

Mar 31, 2020
If I leave my family for a day to do something completely harmless and they ask what I'm doing and where If I don't answer immediately they will call the police for a wellness check. it's not right. My privacy is invaded all the time. I'm an adult I shouldn't have to deal with this. If I dont answer their questions about where I am, what am I doing and why my parents threaten to call the police to make sure I'm not in any danger to myself. I'm not.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: InTheAirTonight, JGT, Sinai Silence and 7 others
Iwouldratherdie

Iwouldratherdie

Mar 31, 2020
is there anything I can do about this?

W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
Why do they do this? Have you made previous attempts?

Reactions: autumnal
D

Deleted member 14386

I am not advising anything
Jan 28, 2020
Mind me asking how old (0-18 or 18+) and where (just country) you are?
What reason do they give for the 'wellness check', and how do they know where you are to send police?
I've experienced prison-like environments from my parents for a long time so I kinda get what your feeling

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
is there anything I can do about this?

Don't answer their calls when you're out. Let them call the police. See if they actually do.

If they do call the police, and if the police even bother to do anything in the first place, after it happens a few times and you're fine, the police will tell them to stop wasting their resources. They'll look like idiots.

Set your boundary with them and hold firm. They'll either accept or they'll try new tactics to override it. Just stay firm, say something like "I'm an adult" and be a broken record, repeat it every time they do this kind of stuff. Don't explain yourself or try to placate them, just repeat the message and disengage. Don't fight losing battles, return to the main point, you're an adult.

Reactions: MiserableBastard1995, Brackenshire, everydayiloveyou and 5 others
autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020
If I leave my family for a day to do something completely harmless and they ask what I'm doing and where If I don't answer immediately they will call the police for a wellness check. it's not right. My privacy is invaded all the time. I'm an adult I shouldn't have to deal with this. If I dont answer their questions about where I am, what am I doing and why my parents threaten to call the police to make sure I'm not in any danger to myself. I'm not.

On the one hand, you say you are an adult. On the other hand, you still live with your parents. Now that's not to say that it is fundamentally immature or unhealthy for adults to still live at home. In many cases, it can be a beneficial arrangement for all involved. But in the worst cases, it can be extremely toxic. Clearly by staying in their home (I assume rent-free), and presumably by them also paying for your food and other expenses, you are entering into an unspoken agreement with them that in return they get retain those typical 'parental' controls over you that for most people would have ended in late adolescence.

The advice above is certainly useful, but you need to bear in mind that if those suggestions don't work, ultimately everything comes down to your parents having leverage over you because they have something that you need (i.e. your current home, and any financial support they provide to you). If other suggestions don't work, you may need to consider whether moving out is an option. If it is not, then you may need to reevaluate whether or not there is much point in getting frustrated over a situation you may not be able to do much to change. That is to say, you need to see the parental control as being a worthwhile sacrifice in exchange for the massive amount of money you may be saving by still living at home.

Also, I'm going to take a wild guess that because you are posting on a suicide board, you have at the very least previously expressed a desire to suicide that your parents are aware of. So it's not necessarily unreasonable for them to be concerned about you suiciding if they don't know where you are or what you are doing. This would especially be the case if you have refused to get any form of therapy or medication, because it means that your parents are essentially the first and only line of defence against your suicide.

Reactions: MiserableBastard1995 and Aap
autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020
Yes I have

Well then honestly, what else do you expect them to do?

Per my post above, they are even more likely to be concerned if you aren't receiving any other therapy or treatment.

Bear in mind that just because this is a forum where we believe every adult should have the right to choose suicide, that does not automatically mean we expect other people in our lives to be unconcerned by our choice or not do their best to prevent it.

This ...all of this

All of which?

A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
I was agreeing with your post, particularly the unfortunate control that comes with excessive parental support.

Reactions: autumnal
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
Mine will not call the police but they will get suspicious if I go places without informing them properly and it does make suicide harder for me.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 14386
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
Why do they do this? Have you made previous attempts?
Yes I have

Still, you're an adult and their actions are suffocating.

It's basically co-dependence, trying to stop someone from doing something harmful, but believing they can control another when all they can control is themselves. It breeds resentment on both sides. It's the same as trying to stop an alcoholic from drinking or an addict from using. It non-acceptance, which is crazy-making. Unless they choose to stop, an alcoholic will drink, an addict will use, and a person who wants to end their life will try to do so, no matter how much the other person loves them, wants them to stop, and tries to block them, guilt trip them, etc.

Keeping you a prisoner and on a leash is not only wrong for you, it's wrong for your parents. However, if they realize this, and they realize that their only hope for peace is to let you do whatever you choose to do, then they may want and need you to be out of their living environment. If you're reliant on them, what are your options? You can seek supportive housing programs, you may have other people you can stay with but you're still reliant on them and they won't want you to suicide either, you can negotiate a more reasonable plan with your parents, or, if they won't negotiate, you can give in to their control, which will only reinforce it but will buy you time. You need some autonomy and say over your own life, and I doubt any of you will be able to go on like this indefinitely, something will have to give.

Reactions: Deleted member 14386, MiserableBastard1995 and clocktower
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
Parents will do anything to keep you alive. It's like it's their one job. You've undoubtedly heard the adage that no parent should have to bury their child. My mom lives 1,000 miles away in a different country. She moved in with me to stay with me for 6 months when I had my breakdown last year. She had to go back home when the coronavirus hit. Since hearing of my attempt in May, she checks in on me multiple times a day.

It's what parents do, I think. Your life is more precious to them than it is to you.

Reactions: Deleted member 14386, autumnal and everydayiloveyou
autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020
@Iwouldratherdie, it would certainly demonstrate some maturity for you to consider and engage with all of the responses here, not just those which agree with your position.