amijima

amijima

Feb 15, 2023
My teeth are fucked.
I've neglected them for the past 10 years just like the rest of my health.
Today I finally worked up the courage to see the new dentist that just moved to my city.
I am / was never scared to see the dentist or anything, just stopped caring and frankly becoming ashamed of how bad they have gotten.

I was completely upfront with the dentist and he was very professional / non judgemental and I'm getting one infected tooth pulled tomorrow and we'll start working on fixing / replacing everything.
The replacing will cost some money, but luckily I live in a decent country with good insurance that pays parts of it and nearly fully covers the removal part.

Just wanted to share it with someone as I feel kind of relieved to have taken the first step.
Feels like today was a good day, the first good one this year..."

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Yavannah, Citruscine, Veronica Sawyer and 5 others
ermurazor

ermurazor

Witch Queen
Mar 5, 2023
Im really happy for you!

Reactions: amijima
MoonlitNight

MoonlitNight

bad at putting emotions into words
Feb 14, 2023
My teeth are fucked.
I've neglected them for the past 10 years just like the rest of my health.
Today I finally worked up the courage to see the new dentist that just moved to my city.
I am / was never scared to see the dentist or anything, just stopped caring and frankly becoming ashamed of how bad they have gotten.

I was completely upfront with the dentist and he was very professional / non judgemental and I'm getting one infected tooth pulled tomorrow and we'll start working on fixing / replacing everything.
The replacing will cost some money, but luckily I live in a decent country with good insurance that pays parts of it and nearly fully covers the removal part.

Just wanted to share it with someone as I feel kind of relieved to have taken the first step.
Feels like today was a good day, the first good one this year..."
You're taking a step to improve a factor that has been neglected for a while. Im proud of you! Im happy you were satisfied with the treatment you got and deserved. I hope you can continue on this path of betterment.

Make sure you treat yourself to some cold desserts after the extration too ;) eases the pain and please avoid anything hot and be on soft-cold diet.
After an extraction dont play with the blood clot using your tongue and dont suck stuff too hard with your mouth. Dry socket (bursting or dislodging of blood clot) is a bitch and will hurt like hell.

But the thing worth noting is that you will now have to be (or try to be) consistent with your hygiene.

I am undergoing oral treatment aswell and it can get hard on bad days, I don't know if you'll need braces too but sometimes hygiene even just brushing twice a day can feel tiring (yes, am i lazy? i dont know.) But you could set yourself to brushing at least once a day and consider it an achievement on those days too.
Braces can trigger ulcers and may irritate the gums sometimes, just a heads up.

Best of luck and hope it continues to get better.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: amijima and Looking
Looking

Looking

Looking for the answer.
Jan 16, 2023
Hey, congrats!! I'm looking into getting dental treatment for myself, and I'm kind of nervous about it :) It was nice to read this thread.

je.suis.prêt

je.suis.prêt

Hjälp mig
Jul 9, 2022
Similar story to me, going through expensive invasive dental work, and seeing the bill kicked me back into a mindset of at least taking care of my teeth. Congratulations on taking steps toward getting better :)

• Love
Noisemaker

Noisemaker

Watchout For Skypilgrimes
Feb 21, 2023
Tis the season.

stoopid

stoopid

from hell
Feb 27, 2023
Pro tip: invest in a dental insurance

I've paid more than a few k just for fixing holes and stuff, but someone I know just paid like 15 Euro/month and he got few new teeths, like he spend under 300 Euro just for insurance and got new teeth for few k Euro.
I feel so dumb for that, insurances for the win lol

• Informative
Veronica Sawyer

Veronica Sawyer

Feb 22, 2023
Glad to hear you're taking this step!

I also really struggle with oral hygeine, been trying to get my act together before things get really bad, but it's tough. Not to mention the stigma associated with poor hygeine making it tough to talk about. It's good that your dentist is non-judgemental!

• Love
Reactions: amijima, je.suis.prêt and Looking
GlitterAndBlood

GlitterAndBlood

Feb 27, 2023
It's so glad to hear that the dentist was professional about this! I know first hand how scary it is going to the dentist because my depression made me neglect my dental health for some time. So happy you took the step! Wishing you a quick and easy recovery from the tooth extraction! <3