• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

PAfb_640

PAfb_640

Budak Bunuh Diri
Feb 22, 2023
A while ago. I made a decision to delete all my Reddit accounts in an attempt to quit all social media except YouTube. Reddit was the only other social media I used at that time and it is the only place I got news about my country. But now, from time to time, I get curious and "relapse" into checking my country's subreddit and be disappointed and depressed. There is always an urge to type a long post there about my frustrations with the political landscape, to show my fellow nationals how terrible my state of mental health is. But deep down, I know it's useless. A reddit post won't change anything, my intentions are probably just attention seeking, and even if I do feel a bit of relief, that dreadful feeling will comeback. My family and friends don't share my political beliefs. It's best I keep all my beliefs to myself.

It's useless to follow the news. Never have I ever experience a day where read the news and change my schedule because of it. What's going on in Ukraine won't affect me directly, what's going on in Palestine won't affect me directly, heck, what's going on in my country's capital will probably won't affect me directly. It's useless and let alone exhausting to be politically aware. And we all know I don't have the power to change anything. The last time I imagined myself as a politician, my maladaptive daydreaming mind imagined myself as a fascist dictator with absolute power that he needs to fix his country. I don't want to care about politics anymore.

I asked my my teacher about this and her reply was "I know it's complicated. So, just have faith in God and do your thing." I'm an atheist, but I wish I can be religious again. To have a belief that all I need to do is to be pious and the World will be magically fixed by God.

Any of you who have successfully stopped caring about politics?

R

refused

-
Oct 31, 2023
Yea man. I deleted all social media 14 years ago. I realized keeping up with other people's lives/backyards was bad for my health. It was hard to kick all media at first (including politics), but eventually it got easier. I mean, I still have awful thoughts about my life, but not with the stress of media stacked on top. It's gone from my life.

Although, I do believe in localism/regional interest. So, I keep up with what's going on in my own backyard (i.e. my town of 10k people).

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
There's a couple of points that can help.

1) There are a small number of things that can be done to make a small contribution towards causes you believe in. Voting, supporting businesses whose values align with your own, even donations. Beyond that, there is rarely practical value in engaging in political discourse, especially of the toxic kind. I've heard people say, "Don't worry about the things you can't control."

2) The emotional charge of injustice is worth investigating more deeply. Sometimes the true source of the anger is because issues of abuse of power by leaders can be metaphorically resonant with the childhood frustrations of being powerless to change uncaring parents. Other times, it is driven by loneliness and the desire to connect with a like-minded tribe. There can even be a certain addictive quality in being provoked by 'rage-bait'; this phenomenon is extremely common on the internet. The conclusion is that humans are far more attracted to negative emotional states than understimulation or boredom.

PAfb_640

PAfb_640

Budak Bunuh Diri
Feb 22, 2023
Thanks for the advice. But I just can't shake of the belief that I'm useless in the grand scheme of things. I only vote because I can get a discount on my next Starbucks. Corporate products are cheaper than the more ethical alternatives. And the saying, "There is no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism" is sticking to me. I don't know where to find like-minded people. My family and friends aren't. My country is religious conservative. And online communities don't feel real to me. But still, thanks for the advice.