• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

L

Life sucks

Visionary
Apr 18, 2018
I never drew anything before but now I really want to. My goal is that I really want to draw only one specific thing. I don't know whether to start or not because it takes long time. Honestly I feel very bad because I can't draw that thing. I really hate this life with this stupid barriers and limits but I really want to do it. If its possible, how should I start?

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
I never drew anything before but now I really want to. My goal is that I really want to draw only one specific thing. I don't know whether to start or not because it takes long time. Honestly I feel very bad because I can't draw that thing. I really hate this life with this stupid barriers and limits but I really want to do it. If its possible, how should I start?
well start by finding that motivation, I'm sure when you take that first step you won't be alike to stop until the drawing is complete. Wish you luck with your goal.

sugar

sugar

Nov 24, 2020
What is it that you want to draw?
The best way to start is to have references to go off, and practice, practice, practice.

Maybe you can find a youtube tutorial?

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I used to be an illustrator and artist, long ago.
I'd suggest getting some cheap materials to get you going and give you the motivation to start. An A3 drawing pad and some good quality pencils of different hardness. Then pick a room with good natural light and set aside a space on a desk or something. It might help to place a board at a slight angle to put the pad on.
Now pick some basic items to draw still life. Whatever you have around. Books, fruit, a cup, anything. Start small with one item, place it in a well lit area and just draw what you see.
At this stage it's not about producing artwork, it's about learning how to represent form, light and shade. Each drawing you produce on a new page is like a lesson in observation and interpretation that can help you go on to produce illustrations you are happy with. It's also an enjoyable process: observing the little things we take for granted can be very relaxing and grounding.
As you get towards the end of the pad, you will probably naturally be drawing more complex items or groups of items.

This is a basic foundation in artwork, drawing, illustration. It can lead to other media, like painting or digital media and graphic design, photography or web design, depending where you interests and abilities lead you. Or you may just continue drawing, maybe using pastels or charcoal.
It is, however, all about the process of observation, understanding and learning the craft of expressing that in artwork. Without the basic principles of form, light and shade, any more complex stuff may be problematic.

Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
Get some cheap art supplies and watch a few YouTube videos or just draw the stuff from your mind. Drawing takes a lot of practice

MindFrog

MindFrog

:Professional Hypocrite:
Nov 19, 2020
I know this gets a bad rep in the art community but it kind of help me get into drawing. I mean if you only want to draw ONE thing, maybe you should practice tracing? It's a good way to familiarize on that "thing" structure. Think of it as a stepping stone, before drawing for real.

If you dont want to, there's some drawing lessons floating in the internet. Youtube videos are waaay better.

W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
Try drawing something you like.
Do you like anime? Then draw an anime character.
Do you like mountains? Well, why don't draw a setting sun with lots of mountains?

You'll find something.
Good Luck!!

• Hugs
Reactions: Life sucks
L

Life sucks

Visionary
Apr 18, 2018
well start by finding that motivation, I'm sure when you take that first step you won't be alike to stop until the drawing is complete. Wish you luck with your goal.

Thanks, although my goal is limited but I have the motivation.

What is it that you want to draw?
The best way to start is to have references to go off, and practice, practice, practice.

Maybe you can find a youtube tutorial?

Thanks.I want to draw one anime character but with imaginary situations. I found tutorials but I'm confused because there is a lot of information.

I used to be an illustrator and artist, long ago.
I'd suggest getting some cheap materials to get you going and give you the motivation to start. An A3 drawing pad and some good quality pencils of different hardness. Then pick a room with good natural light and set aside a space on a desk or something. It might help to place a board at a slight angle to put the pad on.
Now pick some basic items to draw still life. Whatever you have around. Books, fruit, a cup, anything. Start small with one item, place it in a well lit area and just draw what you see.
At this stage it's not about producing artwork, it's about learning how to represent form, light and shade. Each drawing you produce on a new page is like a lesson in observation and interpretation that can help you go on to produce illustrations you are happy with. It's also an enjoyable process: observing the little things we take for granted can be very relaxing and grounding.
As you get towards the end of the pad, you will probably naturally be drawing more complex items or groups of items.

This is a basic foundation in artwork, drawing, illustration. It can lead to other media, like painting or digital media and graphic design, photography or web design, depending where you interests and abilities lead you. Or you may just continue drawing, maybe using pastels or charcoal.
It is, however, all about the process of observation, understanding and learning the craft of expressing that in artwork. Without the basic principles of form, light and shade, any more complex stuff may be problematic.

Thanks. Can I learn with other tools also? Sometimes I try to draw with tablet or phone specially when I'm outside. Does it help with improving?
Get some cheap art supplies and watch a few YouTube videos or just draw the stuff from your mind. Drawing takes a lot of practice

Thanks. I have no problem with practice but my problem is if takes too long or if it doesn't give consistent results.

I know this gets a bad rep in the art community but it kind of help me get into drawing. I mean if you only want to draw ONE thing, maybe you should practice tracing? It's a good way to familiarize on that "thing" structure. Think of it as a stepping stone, before drawing for real.

If you dont want to, there's some drawing lessons floating in the internet. Youtube videos are waaay better.

Thanks, I'll try tracing. I want to draw one thing but with images and situations from my head.

Try drawing something you like.
Do you like anime? Then draw an anime character.
Do you like mountains? Well, why don't draw a setting sun with lots of mountains?

You'll find something.
Good Luck!!

Thanks, I'll keep trying.

Reactions: Sorrygoodbye
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Thanks. Can I learn with other tools also? Sometimes I try to draw with tablet or phone specially when I'm outside. Does it help with improving?
I suppose you can learn with whatever you feel most comfortable with. That's just how I learned then translated it to digital media. But if you are more comfortable doing it straight onto the phone then go for it. I think the key is to get core skills of observation or illustration so you can apply them to anything.
And yes, any sort of drawing should help improve whatever you want to do. It's not just the skill, it's also how you see things. I found that even just getting older helped me to draw better, weird as it sounds.

Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
yeah, using different medias will give you a feel of it more. So it's good to practice on all kinds of things and see what you like
Thanks. I have no problem with practice but my problem is if takes too long or if it doesn't give consistent results.
Yeah, I mean to get good at drawing it will take some time for most people unless you're like a pro at learning quickly or something lol. But you don't have to be good to enjoy it, you can also start more abstract at first so you don't get fed up with having -not perfect- results