leftdreaming

leftdreaming

I should’ve been a house cat
Apr 28, 2023
About a month ago I started taking Lexapro and around the same time found this site. My suicidal ideation turned into a suicide plan turned into a near attempt. Things have progressively gotten worse and continue to, and my thoughts on suicide have changed dramatically because of it. Today I upped my dosage and everything is so much worse than usual. I think maybe the issue is in my medication, but im scared that im wrong and everything will get worse if I stop taking it.

20ClownRules

20ClownRules

The Clown of Life and Death
Jun 1, 2023
Hmm... I believe that you should look at the side effects of the meds that you are taking before switching them.
That way, whatever is causing the problem; whether it be meds or anything else? It's best to get to the root of the problem before it gets any worse.

• Love
Reactions: leftdreaming
leftdreaming

leftdreaming

I should’ve been a house cat
Apr 28, 2023
Hmm... I believe that you should look at the side effects of the meds that you are taking before switching them.
That way, whatever is causing the problem; whether it be meds or anything else? It's best to get to the root of the problem before it gets any worse.
Yeah, and speak with my doctor, too. She made very clear emphasis on whether or not I have suicidal thoughts and I lied. Thinking I might've fucked myself over.

LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
That's a possible side effect. If it is the cause of your suicidal thoughts it's worth discontinuing. Even if depression becomes worse depression is easier to try to address if your mind is not fixated on death.

I think it's okay to come clean to your doctor. I mean, he should already know why people would not be fully forthcoming. She knows the consequences of being too honest.

andaira2k

andaira2k

Passionate Enthusiast
May 29, 2023
Heya,
after reading through some reports (you probably did too), it is stated that this kind of medication can cause headaches or a feeling of weakness, which could strengthen a negative feeling / behaviour.
I would try lowering the amount first again to see, if it turns a bit better again until eventually trying to go on without it, as you could start taking it again, if it gets too bad. I won't recommend you to stop taking it entirely instantly, but rather try and lowering the amount, as you could feel better if your assumption is right.
And I would also recommend mentioning this problem to your doctor, as they probably know a lot more about those meds than most of us do ;p
You don't have to necessarily mention suicidal thoughts if you don't feel comfortable with that, but you could just try and tell, that it became worse the higher the dose was.
Best of luck! :)

Reactions: Bitterman1996
20ClownRules

20ClownRules

The Clown of Life and Death
Jun 1, 2023
Yeah! As depression is usually a side effect of most medicine? It's most likely that, anxiety, or severe headaches.
Which can eventually lead to those types of thoughts.
Ironically? Some anti-depressants cause it, but in another way, shape, and/or form.
So, lowering the dosage and slowly getting off the medication is the best route possible.

AshClouds

AshClouds

In time I started growing inward.
Apr 10, 2023
Read the wikipedia article

There is also evidence that SSRIs may cause an increase in suicidal ideation. An analysis conducted by the FDA found a statistically insignificant 1.5 to 2.4-fold (depending on the statistical technique used) increase of among the adults treated with escitalopram for psychiatric indications

so its very possible. I'd talk to your doctor about it.

Reactions: Linda
L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
can you stick it out for 12 weeks? cos side effects might calm down and you might reach the other shore of not feeling this way. Its 12 weeks to test a med if I remember right. Definitely at least 8 weeks.

If the thoughts are very compelling though then tell doc who might just get you off it . And on to the next med to test!