K

KafkaF

Taking a break from the website.
Nov 18, 2023
The more I've been thinking about things, the more I've been able to trace almost every major mental health issue I have back to my emotionally abusive parents.

To be fair, as far as emotional abuse goes they're on the lower end of the spectrum for the most part, but it was both of them and it was continuously for my entire life. So I'm still pretty messed up.

My social anxiety wrecked my social and romantic life, a lot of that comes from my lack of self-esteem and lack of feelings of competence and autonomy, mostly caused by my parents constant criticism, undermining and controlling of me.

My failure anxiety, which wrecked my academic and job life, a lot of that comes from the impossibly high standards they forced me to hold up, the emotional abuse after any time I didn't perform better than others in school (which was the first time ever I thought about CTB), also destroying my self-esteem and telling me I can't do anything, etc. Only showing me love when I lived up to their expectations, completely conditionally.

My depression comes from a combination of the effects of the above two things and my constant negative self talk. I constantly insult myself and criticize myself in my mind. I always minimize my own achievements and tear myself apart and guilt myself for any mistakes I make. Constantly tell myself I'm worthless and nobody will ever love me. Etc. And where does that come from? Well, because this is mostly how my parents have talked to me all of my life. My mother with constant little criticisms about everything (with yelling matches full of hurtful things or silent treatment sometimes) and my father with normal behaviour randomly exchanged with extreme explosions of anger and of putting me down and basically calling me worthless and shaming me in front of everyone as such.

I fail to set proper boundaries in romantic relationships a lot and put up with emotional abuse there too. Mostly because I never knew what a healthy relationship was or how to establish healthy boundaries because, again, I never had that with my parents as an example. So all kinds of emotional abuse and ignoring of boundaries have historically felt normal to me. My intense desire to be loved (because I never got unconditional love from my parents) probably also played a role in me staying with this person.

And then in general my extreme insecurity and anxiety about everything seemed to have partially helped ruin my previous relationship with someone I actually loved a lot and who treated me well. Also courtesy of my parents constantly telling me I'm no good if I made a single mistake therefore making me very hesitant to do things in case I may make a mistake and constantly causing me to guess what other people want. Oh, and being afraid of the extreme guilt of making any mistakes because of it too.

I can't know for sure, of course. But I feel like I can honestly say that I probably wouldn't be contemplating CTB today if I had had different parents. And my life probably wouldn't be the mess it is.

I've only come to these conclusions relatively recently because, honestly, until like 2022 I thought the way my parents always treated me was normal. And I was just some weird disappointment.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: haibane, tiger b, Beyond_Repair and 3 others
WAITING TO DIE

WAITING TO DIE

TORMENTED
Sep 30, 2023
Sorry you have been through this. My mother was a malignant narcissist and fucked up my brain because of her constant mental cruelty towards me for no good reason.
I suffered from development problems and didn't grow up to be a normal adult.
It made me very timid and socially awkward, and anxious around people.

• Hugs
Reactions: tiger b, KafkaF, S like suicide and 1 other person
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
It's really so cruel how people force life here just to treat that person so badly, it sounds so awful having to have been around people like that.

Reactions: haibane, WAITING TO DIE, KafkaF and 1 other person
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
My condolences for going through all of that. Being suicidal due to parents is shitty.

Oh, out of curiosity, is it okay if you or somebody else here could explain what emotional abuse is? I feel like I may have gotten emotionally abused too but I'm not sure. But, once again, my condolences for the emotional abuse

Reactions: WAITING TO DIE and KafkaF
S like suicide

S like suicide

Enlightened
Apr 29, 2021
I've only come to these conclusions relatively recently because, honestly, until like 2022 I thought the way my parents always treated me was normal. And I was just some weird disappointment.
I feel all of you deeply....unfortunately not everybody is part of those lucky people that have a loving family...my toxic parents and brother are the most painful thing in my life and they fucked me up so badly,I deeply hate them.
I even wished i was an orphan than be related to such selfish and shitty people.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: WAITING TO DIE, KafkaF and thewalkingdread
Beyond_Repair

Beyond_Repair

Disheartened Ghost
Oct 27, 2023
This could almost have been written by myself. My self-esteem and perception of myself and the world is so screwed up, and I recognized relatively recently that I'll likely never be able to have a normal relationship for function in an emotionally healthy way.

I'm sorry this happened to you. You didn't deserve any of it

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: WAITING TO DIE, KafkaF, Religious-Pessimist and 1 other person
thewalkingdread

thewalkingdread

Life is a pointless, undeserved, unnecessary pain.
Oct 30, 2023
My condolences for going through all of that. Being suicidal due to parents is shitty.

Oh, out of curiosity, is it okay if you or somebody else here could explain what emotional abuse is? I feel like I may have gotten emotionally abused too but I'm not sure. But, once again, my condolences for the emotional abuse

• Hugs
  • Aww..
  • Informative
Reactions: WAITING TO DIE, KafkaF and ijustwishtodie
K

KafkaF

Nov 18, 2023

I've actually been watching a lot of Psych2Go videos on abuse and the effects of abuse over the past few weeks. That wasn't the first thing that got me thinking about it though.

Years ago when I went to a psychiatrist for the first time I told her that I didn't love my parents and she started questioning me about that, clearly suspecting why. But I basically brushed it off cuz I wasn't there for that.

Like last year I first started talking about some of the things my parents were doing to my psychologist and she definitely tried to help me through it but didn't talk about abuse yet (it's not that she said it wasn't, she just never outright came out and said it was).

Then earlier this year my mother sent a random mail to my psychologist behind my back. Trying to get her to share personal information. Threatening her if she didn't do it and basically insulting her and trying to manipulate her into disclosing a bunch of my personal info. My psychologist refused to tell her anything and then told me about it all the next session. She honestly told me she was shocked by the whole thing and now better understood why I have the issues that I have and that it wasn't my fault. And that my mother was exactly how I described her and she now understood it better.

(For the record my psychologist had met my mother before but normally my mother puts on a mask of kindness around strangers, she only reveals her true self when alone with me and my sister or when she wants to manipulate or coerce someone with anger like the above example)

I still struggled to fully come to terms with the idea that my parents were abusive. So I started reading articles and watching videos about it. A lot of articles in places like Psychology Today discuss it. And then I also watched a bunch of Psych2Go videos (like the one you posted). And I found out that basically all of the signs of emotional abuse were present with my parents, my mother may well be a narcissist and that I myself display nearly all of the symptoms of someone who's suffered lifelong emotional abuse.

So, yeah, it still feels weird to say sometimes. And I still feel unsure about it and guilty sometimes for calling them abusive. But based on all the evidence they're emotionally abusive and have been all of my life. And the consequences of that are largely what has driven me here. Sometimes directly, sometimes indirectly.
Well.. shit. I got all of these aside from 3 (maybe 10 too?). Either way, that's 8 or 9 things from the video that I got

You may want to look into it more. That video is not the only Psych2Go video on abuse. There's a bunch of them. And I found them very helpful in coming to terms with the reality of my parents' abuse.

I also read a bunch of articles on Psychology Today like 16 Signs of Having Been Raised by a Highly Critical Parent. And I got 15 out of 16 on there. I found those kinds of articles helpful too.

If you haven't yet, talking to a psychologist about it can also help. My psychologist has helped me a lot. She's not a miracle worker so I'm still in a really bad place. But if she hadn't been around I would've CTBd years ago. And she helped me understand my abuse better too.

Overall I find that I keep questioning myself. "Was it really abuse? Am I not just overreacting? Wasn't it just normal?" But I think that's just part of it. And, well, one consequences of emotional abuse is that you tend to have trouble not doubting yourself constantly. So I guess this isn't surprising.

Anyway, I know this is hardly the place for this since I feel like most of us come here because we feel like we're out of hope but... I really do wish you well and I can at least say you're not alone in struggling with this. *hug*

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: thewalkingdread and WAITING TO DIE
F

F@#$

Freedom seeker
Nov 8, 2023
The more I've been thinking about things, the more I've been able to trace almost every major mental health issue I have back to my emotionally abusive parents.

To be fair, as far as emotional abuse goes they're on the lower end of the spectrum for the most part, but it was both of them and it was continuously for my entire life. So I'm still pretty messed up.

My social anxiety wrecked my social and romantic life, a lot of that comes from my lack of self-esteem and lack of feelings of competence and autonomy, mostly caused by my parents constant criticism, undermining and controlling of me.

My failure anxiety, which wrecked my academic and job life, a lot of that comes from the impossibly high standards they forced me to hold up, the emotional abuse after any time I didn't perform better than others in school (which was the first time ever I thought about CTB), also destroying my self-esteem and telling me I can't do anything, etc. Only showing me love when I lived up to their expectations, completely conditionally.

My depression comes from a combination of the effects of the above two things and my constant negative self talk. I constantly insult myself and criticize myself in my mind. I always minimize my own achievements and tear myself apart and guilt myself for any mistakes I make. Constantly tell myself I'm worthless and nobody will ever love me. Etc. And where does that come from? Well, because this is mostly how my parents have talked to me all of my life. My mother with constant little criticisms about everything (with yelling matches full of hurtful things or silent treatment sometimes) and my father with normal behaviour randomly exchanged with extreme explosions of anger and of putting me down and basically calling me worthless and shaming me in front of everyone as such.

I fail to set proper boundaries in romantic relationships a lot and put up with emotional abuse there too. Mostly because I never knew what a healthy relationship was or how to establish healthy boundaries because, again, I never had that with my parents as an example. So all kinds of emotional abuse and ignoring of boundaries have historically felt normal to me. My intense desire to be loved (because I never got unconditional love from my parents) probably also played a role in me staying with this person.

And then in general my extreme insecurity and anxiety about everything seemed to have partially helped ruin my previous relationship with someone I actually loved a lot and who treated me well. Also courtesy of my parents constantly telling me I'm no good if I made a single mistake therefore making me very hesitant to do things in case I may make a mistake and constantly causing me to guess what other people want. Oh, and being afraid of the extreme guilt of making any mistakes because of it too.

I can't know for sure, of course. But I feel like I can honestly say that I probably wouldn't be contemplating CTB today if I had had different parents. And my life probably wouldn't be the mess it is.

At least you have some sort of explanation. I'm just miserable and don't really know why.

• Hugs
Reactions: tiger b, WAITING TO DIE and KafkaF
K

KafkaF

Nov 18, 2023
At least you have some sort of explanation. I'm just miserable and don't really know why.
Well, there always IS an explanation. You may want to look into why.

Bipolar disorder is a common cause. Seasonal affective disorder is a thing too. Childhood physical or emotional abuse can lead to struggling with depression. Burnout exists which can resemble depression.

In case you didn't know, there's this thing called the DSM V which is used by psychologists to diagnose things like personality disorders. You might want to look into that. There's Cluster A, Cluster B and Cluster C disorders, you could look that up.

You could watch some Psych2Go videos yourself. You might stumble upon something there.

I'm just throwing out things here.

It does help to know.

Reactions: thewalkingdread
B

bored2death

Aug 9, 2023
i'm sorry for what you've been through. it is terrible.

my partner had abusive parents and i had neglectful parents and it ruined both of us.

i'm sad it took me so long to figure this out, because i dont have energy anymore.

i will say that if you have the time or energy, you probably can overcome what you've been dealt. i'm not here to judge whether you think it's worth it

• Hugs
Reactions: thewalkingdread, WAITING TO DIE and KafkaF
K

KafkaF

Nov 18, 2023
i'm sorry for what you've been through. it is terrible.

my partner had abusive parents and i had neglectful parents and it ruined both of us.

i'm sad it took me so long to figure this out, because i dont have energy anymore.

i will say that if you have the time or energy, you probably can overcome what you've been dealt. i'm not here to judge whether you think it's worth it
Thank you for your kind words. I can say you've at least made one person's life just a little bit better today.

• Hugs
Reactions: bored2death
F

F@#$

Freedom seeker
Nov 8, 2023
Well, there always IS an explanation. You may want to look into why.

Bipolar disorder is a common cause. Seasonal affective disorder is a thing too. Childhood physical or emotional abuse can lead to struggling with depression. Burnout exists which can resemble depression.

In case you didn't know, there's this thing called the DSM V which is used by psychologists to diagnose things like personality disorders. You might want to look into that. There's Cluster A, Cluster B and Cluster C disorders, you could look that up.

You could watch some Psych2Go videos yourself. You might stumble upon something there.

I'm just throwing out things here.

It does help to know.
I'll check it out.

Reactions: KafkaF
tiger b

tiger b

AI without the I
Oct 24, 2023
Well being a writer, I'm sure you know of Philip Larkin. I'll print the relevant poem:

This be the verse

They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fucked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.

Philip Larkin

You may have realised how your parents have affected you. You might hold them responsible for everything that you've gone through. That may well be the case. Ok.

What you do with this realisation is up to you. You're the one living your life...just because it wasn't your fault then doesn't mean you are not responsible for you now.

Holding my abusive and violent parents accountable for my life - to me - is an easy pass that only goes so far. The world just doesn't care. But whatever story I tell myself is just that - a story. The reality is far more simple.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: thewalkingdread, WAITING TO DIE and KafkaF