T

Tacohell

Jan 31, 2022
I have been on Welbutrin 150mg for six days now and I think it has helped me be happier a little bit. I have noticed that I kinda get sucked into my imagination a little more. My therapist and I have had lots of talks and think that I may have inattentive ADHD so these were supposed to help slow me down but it is not. I also get really intense suicidal thoughts. My ruminating on my current living situation is much higher and I feel much more emotional. It's really upsetting me because I have been in therapy for months and it gave me some tools to work with but it's not really helping and I was hoping that medication would. My psychologist and psychiatrist have both told me I am making good decisions for my mental health but I feel like it is all pointless.
Edit: I do not post on here that much and tried to check the rules and I think this is ok. I am sorry if this is too heavy for the recovery section.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Cathy Ames, Dead Ghost and Lostandlooking
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
They say antidepressants make you worse before they make you better. I can't speak from experience but it is a common issue with most antidepressants that you're apparently more suicidal in the first week or so of taking them and then around the 3-4 week mark they start to work. They also say that if they're not working in the first week you shouldn't stop taking them because they haven't had chance yet. I'm not a big fan of the frivolous prescribing of anti depressants but I do think they have their place for some and appear to help some folk. You might be one of them. Now you started the meds you may as well see it through to the 3 or 4 week mark otherwise it will all be for nothing and you'll always wonder if they'd have worked for you if only you just stuck with it. I think this is what I'd be telling myself in your situation anyway. If you're struggling with ideation etc and you can get support then make the most of it during this period. It's important they know how it's effecting you. For you and for them.

All the best with it. I hope it helps you out.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Huntfish34, Cathy Ames, Dead Ghost and 3 others
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
I do thnk that most antideptressants don't work, to be honest, and they sometimes have side effects such as ringing in the ears that often last forever. The main root causes of depression are financial problems, loneliness, abuse by others, and physical health problems, and antidepressants do nothing to treat these issues. HOever, they are very profitable and it's way esier to give someone a pill than to solve these other problems. There is no instant answer to financialo problems, this takes a lot of work over a long period of time- and sometmes there is no solution. If a person feels lonely every day due to not enough positive connection to others how is a pill supposed to help that? It won't. Antidepressamts rarely work, and they don't treat the true causes of depression at all, i9n my opinion.

• Informative
Reactions: dirtnap, EternalšŸŒˆRainbow, Hollowman and 3 others
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
Plus those are entirely valid reasons to be down and the feelings surrounding those issues are entirely natural. Taking drugs to hide from one's problems is frowned upon until your drug dealer sells through a pharmacy.

Much like some recreational drugs though, antidepressants do work for some people. I hate the prospect of using them but I don't think it's something that should be off the table for those that want to try them. I just hope they do so with caution. And hopefully they work in this particular case.

Last edited:
Reactions: EternalšŸŒˆRainbow
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
Much like some recreational drugs though, antidepressants do work for some people.
This is true, I know someone who is being helped by antidepressants, but this person is also doing a lot of work on the underlying issues. I think to solve it the underlying issues need to be addressed. Most people seem to post that they don't help, though.

L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
Anti-Ds take time to work - mine helped me a bit after five weeks and more after 12 weeks. I am using them with weed. I was not able to get out of bed and on the first day I could get out of bed, then the loud suicidal thoughts went at 5 weeks...

I personally recommend joining support groups on FB for medication as people can give you encouragement to stick with it/discuss any side effects. It's worth trying them for a good amount of time to see if they kick in. I thikn there is one for Wellbrutin.

BasqueClown

BasqueClown

Zirkua ata heriotza
Jun 9, 2022
I'm in sertaline 50 mg in morning and 25 mg amitriptyline in evening supposedly to sleep better
But I still woke up several times at midnight, usually my dream cycle is 2 - 3 hours and rarely remember dreams
Yes in the first month was ok but I'll arrive into third month and suicide thoughts still there
I want to ask for another dosage but I'm afraid about generate suspicion for a possibility of overdose (But I look at Internet and rarely occurs with that kind)

lessonlearned

lessonlearned

May 23, 2022
im on wellbutrin as well and its done nothing n i just get really bad side effects instead

• Hugs
Reactions: Someone123
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
im on wellbutrin as well and its done nothing n i just get really bad side effects instead
That is typical- if you get ringing in the ears it will likely be permanent- I hope you can get off of them soon.

S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
That is typical- if you get ringing in the ears it will likely be permanent- I hope you can get off of them soon.
That (and the long list of other possible side effects) is the very real and concerning thing about anti depressants and psych meds. Terrifying! That's why they need to be used in a very measured and guided way rather than throwing them out like smarties. So wreckless!

I'm in sertaline 50 mg in morning and 25 mg amitriptyline in evening supposedly to sleep better
But I still woke up several times at midnight, usually my dream cycle is 2 - 3 hours and rarely remember dreams
Yes in the first month was ok but I'll arrive into third month and suicide thoughts still there
I want to ask for another dosage but I'm afraid about generate suspicion for a possibility of overdose (But I look at Internet and rarely occurs with that kind)
I think if you describe it that way to your prescriber they wouldn't even consider concerns about OD issues. You're on a low dose. Either way you shouldn't let that stop you in your seeking further help. It would be a disservice if the people there to aid you were actually blocking your improvements. Unfortunately that does occur all too often to say the least. Be honest with them about how it's helping but not enough. That should be enough if you've been on them for a substantial period of time. Good luck. :)

TheLastFemaphrodyke

TheLastFemaphrodyke

Student
May 25, 2022
I have been on Welbutrin 150mg for six days now and I think it has helped me be happier a little bit. I have noticed that I kinda get sucked into my imagination a little more. My therapist and I have had lots of talks and think that I may have inattentive ADHD so these were supposed to help slow me down but it is not. I also get really intense suicidal thoughts. My ruminating on my current living situation is much higher and I feel much more emotional. It's really upsetting me because I have been in therapy for months and it gave me some tools to work with but it's not really helping and I was hoping that medication would. My psychologist and psychiatrist have both told me I am making good decisions for my mental health but I feel like it is all pointless.
Edit: I do not post on here that much and tried to check the rules and I think this is ok. I am sorry if this is too heavy for the recovery section.
antidepressants are KNOWN to cause suicidal ideation, if you are having suicidal ideation when you did not before, or if it is increasing you need to alert your doctor immediately, they are also KNOWN to send people over the edge and cause them to do things they would not normally do, like go all postal. I actively planned to die when I took them, how can it be said they made me happier when all I thought about was dying as soon as possible?

BasqueClown

BasqueClown

Zirkua ata heriotza
Jun 9, 2022
I think if you describe it that way to your prescriber they wouldn't even consider concerns about OD issues. You're on a low dose. Either way you shouldn't let that stop you in your seeking further help. It would be a disservice if the people there to aid you were actually blocking your improvements. Unfortunately that does occur all too often to say the least. Be honest with them about how it's helping but not enough. That should be enough if you've been on them for a substantial period of time. Good luck. :)
Okay, it's a low dosage, but why I had this relapse or something of anxiety, despair and death wishes, I'm auto sabotage?

S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
Okay, it's a low dosage, but why I had this relapse or something of anxiety, despair and death wishes, I'm auto sabotage?
I couldn't tell you.

I was only trying to indicate that a request for highet dose wouldn't be suspicious at the dosage you are on.

With it being such a low dose it may be that you need the higher dose. It may be that this medication isn't working for you and could be causing the relapse you speak of. This is something you must discuss with your doctor/prescriber because I'm not qualified to give you precise advice on the matter. Only the general advice as a friendly 'acquaintance'. So, just to be clear, that advice is to discuss this with your prescribing practitioner as soon as possible and tell them your issue exactly as you described it to us here. They will be able to advise you further. I am guessing they will offer 2 or 3 choices to move forward with but that's for you and them to discuss and decide.

Reactions: Cathy Ames
L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019

Anti-Ds are titrated up - e.g. I started Prozac at 10mg, went to 20mg (for 8 weeks) then went up to 40mg. I'd have stayed at 20mg if it was helping enough. It did help a bit, took 5 weeks then 12 weeks. I would join the Facebook groups and find out what doses other people are on...

you can't OD on sertraline successfully - no SSRI can kill you best of my knowledge.

Cathy Ames

Cathy Ames

Cautionary Tale
Mar 11, 2022
If the intense suicidal thoughts first started after you started Wellbutrin, you should talk to your doctor ASAP. They likely would not want for you to stay on it but might have particular advice about the best way to discontinue using it. If the intense suicidal thoughts aren't new to you, the Wellbutrin may help you with them. When I tried Wellbutrin, I recall the first 2-3 days were amazing, then there was a kind of "volatile" interval (alternately described as being "worse" or "more emotional"), and then things settled down a while later (maybe at two weeks into it).

Reactions: Smart No More
Lost.

Lost.

Antidepressants and antipsychotics are posion
Feb 13, 2020
Antidepressants for sure make it worse. Lot of people ended up on this forum thankfull to antidepressants side effects or aftermaths and i know a lot of people who killed themseves because of antidepressants aftermaths from online comumities of support for people damaged by antidepressants. Antidepressants are neurotoxic and they numb brain. They numb emotions, sexuality, they cause cognitive impairment, etc. All of that can persist after quiting of antidepressants. Just google "pssd" aka post ssri sexual dysfunction - caution: all antideantidepressants can cause this state, not only ssri and snri antidepressants. This state often include cognitive impairment and emotional numbness. Btw antidepressants can induce bipolar disorder, chemical depression with suicidal thoughts, homicidal thoughts (they are often include in mass shotings in USA)... #beaware #fuckbigpharma #bigpharmakills #holocaust
Anti-Ds are titrated up - e.g. I started Prozac at 10mg, went to 20mg (for 8 weeks) then went up to 40mg. I'd have stayed at 20mg if it was helping enough. It did help a bit, took 5 weeks then 12 weeks. I would join the Facebook groups and find out what doses other people are on...

you can't OD on sertraline successfully - no SSRI can kill you best of my knowledge.
In summer 2017 i got pssd from prozac. It was pill from hell from me.

Last edited: