N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Yeah I benefit a lot from my mental health medication. I would never want to miss them. It is simply another life quality. It is still pretty low but without it my life was so insane. Quite literally. I was often quite paranoid and partly delusional. I thought literally 24/7 about suicide for 1,5 years or something. I fear this time will come back if I make mistakes. Or maybe that is just the natural cycle of my bipolar disorder.

I was at my dentist some months ago. Before that I postponed it way too long. I felt extremely bad mentally and I always used this as an excuse. I had 3 holes in my teeth. He could repair them. I am very cautious with my teeth since then. I brush them for quite a while maybe a little bit too long.

But they feel weird again. Not sure if a hole is back. If so I was really confused. I care for them a lot. But I had a theory maybe my medication is responsible for that. And yes I made a research my medication is known for fucking up teeth. Especially the amitriptyline. It causes a severe dryness in my mouth. I take it before I go to sleep. Seemingly this is pretty bad for dental care.

I am a little bit desperate. I am dependent on the medication to stay stable and somewhat functional. I have bought me something against mouth dryness. Not sure whether it really works. And it might be expensive. (My mom bought it.)

Anyone here who can relate? (I rather doubt it)

• Hugs
Reactions: Dead Ghost and BitterlyAlive_
lofticries

lofticries

obedear
Feb 27, 2021
I used to take Adderall and those meds dried my mouth like no other. Plus made me agitated af. Mos def can't take them now ever since developing acid reflux last summer. I miss them though, they were the only thing that made me feel like I could function.

Be careful with brushing too much. Can ruin enamel if not careful. Also always use soft bristles.

When I have dry mouth I like to either swish with coconut oil or suck on drops from act.

Attachments

• 41167099346.jpg
    41167099346.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 0
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I used to take Adderall and those meds dried my mouth like no other. Plus made me agitated af. Mos def can't take them now ever since developing acid reflux last summer. I miss them though, they were the only thing that made me feel like I could function.

Be careful with brushing too much. Can ruin enamel if not careful. Also always use soft bristles.

When I have dry mouth I like to either swish with coconut oil or suck on drops from act.
For protecting my enamel I have extra a toothpaste. But it is expensive as fuck.

But thx for your comment.

• Hugs
Reactions: lofticries
BitterlyAlive_

BitterlyAlive_

-
Dec 8, 2020
Some medications dry out the mouth, like yours. Which definitely makes one more prone to cavities. It sounds awful and I'm sorry. Xylitol gum stimulates saliva production, maybe that could help? But it seems like it could be expensive - I have mentos gum with xylitol and I think it's $4 for 50 pieces.

S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
If your teeth are fucked for whatever reason, you can get a full set of implants (top and bottom) for about $6-$10k in Mexico. If I was going to be around long enough, I would totally do this. You would have perfect teeth (not dentures) that are permanently in your mouth.

That's literally the cost of just 3 implants in the us.

Dead Ghost

Dead Ghost

Mestre del Temps
May 6, 2022
Yes, that's right, they even gave me a leaflet to the pharmacy that talked about the same thing that happens to you regarding medication for mental illness.
I have a sample, which they gave me, unopened because I do not take medication and I have plenty of saliva in my mouth, hahaha.
It is called xerolacer, I give you the web in English, I don't know if it is sold where you live:

The sample they gave me was the XeroLacer Topical Gel.

//

Si, és així, fins i tot em van donar un prospecte a la farmacia que parlava d'això mateix que et pasa respecte la medicació per malalties mentals.
Tinc una mostra, que em van donar, sense obrir pas perquè no prenc pas medicació i tinc saliva de sobres a la boca, jajaja.
És diu xerolacer, et poso la web en anglés, descònec si es ven allà on vius:

La mostra que em van donar era la del XeroLacer Topical Gel.

• Informative
Reactions: lofticries
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I think there are more and more evidences that I have new holes in my teeth. Despite the fact I am brushing them a lot. It looks like one. And at the same point it feels like a hole when I am brushing my teeth.

I am really really desperate if this is confirmed due to the fact that amitrptyline is probably the culprit. It is the only medication that can make me fall asleep without gaining weight or other nasty side effects. Without it I could not attend college. I need sleep in order not to get manic. Other medication did not help enough.

I have a lot of stuff to do. Finding a new sleeping medication without too nasty side effects would cost a lot of energy. My dentist only can give me an appoinment in some months.
WTF why is this happening? I have already way too many problems. It is probably one of my unsolvable problems. Not sure what to do.

S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
I think there are more and more evidences that I have new holes in my teeth. Despite the fact I am brushing them a lot. It looks like one. And at the same point it feels like a hole when I am brushing my teeth.

I am really really desperate if this is confirmed due to the fact that amitrptyline is probably the culprit. It is the only medication that can make me fall asleep without gaining weight or other nasty side effects. Without it I could not attend college. I need sleep in order not to get manic. Other medication did not help enough.

I have a lot of stuff to do. Finding a new sleeping medication without too nasty side effects would cost a lot of energy. My dentist only can give me an appoinment in some months.
WTF why is this happening? I have already way too many problems. It is probably one of my unsolvable problems. Not sure what to do.
Extract the bad teeth and get pop-in veneers as a temporary fix. You're going to need the implants I mentioned earlier, or dentures at least in the long run, but those will be much more expensive.

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Extract the bad teeth and get pop-in veneers as a temporary fix. You're going to need the implants I mentioned earlier, or dentures at least in the long run, but those will be much more expensive.
You told me considerinh going to Mexico. I am not sure whether this would really pay off. In Germany the health care system is different and I would also have to pay the flight.

S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
You told me considerinh going to Mexico. I am not sure whether this would really pay off. In Germany the health care system is different and I would also have to pay the flight.
I didn't know you were in Germany. But my last post stands - have the bad teeth extracted and get temporary veneers. You should be able to get the extractions done for free. The veneers, like crowns and implants are cosmetic, and I doubt they would be covered by your socialized healthcare.

Long term, the full implant sets are preferable to a bunch of bridges and crowns. Your best bet would be to get the extractions all done in Germany, and fly to Mexico or India for the a set of top and bottom all on 4s or all on 6s. That's going to be about $12-$15k, but you'll literally have perfect teeth for the rest of your life.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: noname223