Water-Lily

Water-Lily

Enlightened
Dec 26, 2020
I am working again so I can start saving up and gaining more independence. I don't want this to be my only job (job hunting on the side) but I am just so traumatized I am already walking around with a heavy heart. I am scared of being abused again and bullied like at my last job. Trauma has already fucked me up that it doesn't take much to make me hate life, myself, and want to die. I'm afraid I don't have the mental power to deal with people at work, but I know if I don't work I won't be able to leave my home…

• Hugs
Reactions: demuic, Crazy4u, Dead Meat and 6 others
StarryStarry

StarryStarry

Cat Lady
Oct 25, 2021
We are in this boat together my friend. We will survive.

• Hugs
Reactions: allesistgut
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I'm sorry you have been through this. Some people can just be so cruel and awful. I know that it can be hard to carry on when you are struggling. I wish you the best.

stellabelle

stellabelle

ethereal
Dec 14, 2018
I am working again so I can start saving up and gaining more independence. I don't want this to be my only job (job hunting on the side) but I am just so traumatized I am already walking around with a heavy heart. I am scared of being abused again and bullied like at my last job. Trauma has already fucked me up that it doesn't take much to make me hate life, myself, and want to die. I'm afraid I don't have the mental power to deal with people at work, but I know if I don't work I won't be able to leave my home…
They do it on purpose. To "test" your breaking point.

Remember, you have to be five thousand percent perfect.

Don't beat yourself up over it.

Retail is a shithole.

Religion tells people that life is about "suffering" and hardships.

Corporations follow it.

Hope your experience is a positive one.

S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
Try to keep your end goal in mind and take solace in the fact it's all just a means to an end. It won't be forever.

Try to find some allies/friends there as quickly as possible. Maybe do something simple but nice for the people you value there. Stuff like buying them a coffee or leaving nice things to share in the communal areas. It's good to remember things people talk about liking and doing something nice based on that info. Adds a personal touch and goes a long way. Don't go so far as to allow people to take advantage though. Just the odd nice gesture. If it's taken for granted you'll just be armed with a bit more info about the character of the people around you and be able to use that info in chosing who you do or don't get friendly with.

Keep any negative opinions of your coworkers to yourself no matter how justified. Don't let yourself get involved in any back biting even if it's warranted as people can use your words against you at a later date. Best not to provide any ammunition for them even if you currently trust them.

Keep your focus on the job at hand and reward yourself for milestones you achieve on your route to your goal.

Remember that bullies and assholes are that way because of a problem they have and its not a negative reflection of you, your worth and/or character. People just suck.

After a bad day try to find some media that you can relate to as you wind down. That can be particularly helpful if you don't have people you can lean on in your home environment. There are a few good films and comedy series about people working in the retail environment. One that comes to mind is The Promotion. It's a bit of a hidden gem of a film. Great acting from John C Reilly and Sean William Scott.

All kind of obvious stuff but it's easy to overlook when you're in the middle of a situation. Good luck with your job. Try not to let the bastards grind you down. : )

Last edited:
StarryStarry

StarryStarry

Cat Lady
Oct 25, 2021
Try to keep your end goal in mind and take solace in the fact it's all just a means to an end. It won't be forever.

Try to find some allies/friends there as quickly as possible. Maybe do something simple but nice for the people you value there. Stuff like buying then a coffee. Leaving nice things to share in the communal areas. Don't go so far as to allow people to take advantage though. Just the odd nice gesture. If it's taken for granted you'll just be armed with a bit more info about the character of the people around you and be able to use that info in chosing who you do or don't get friendly with.

Keep any negative opinions of your coworkers to yourself no matter how justified. Don't let yourself get involved in any back biting even if it's warranted as people can use your words against you at a later date. Best not to provide any ammunition for them even if you currently trust them.

Keep your focus on the job at hand and reward yourself for milestones you achieve on your route to your goal.

Remember that bullies and assholes are that way because of a problem they have and its not a negative reflection of you, your worth and/or character. People just suck.

After a bad day try to find some media that you can relate to as you wind down. That can be particularly helpful if you don't have people you can lean on in your home environment. There are a few good films and comedy series about people working in the retail environment. One that comes to mind is The Promotion. It's a bit of a hidden gem of a film. Great acting from John C Reilly and Sean William Scott.

All kind of obvious stuff but it's easy to overlook when you're in the middle of a situation. Good luck with your job. Try not to let the bastards grind you down. : )
Great information. I'm going to use it for my new job also. Thanks.

Reactions: Smart No More