N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Maybe this is a really bad and stupid behavior. It might be kind of arrogant.

I recently read David Foster Wallace' Good Old Neon. The main protagonist David Wallace tries to find a solution for his hellish mental torment. He visits a psychoanalyst. He hopes the person is smart enough in order to help him to escape the cage he lives in. DFW concludes the professional is not a big help. And that the main protagonist is way more self-aware and intellectually superior to him. I think the differentce to me is the following. DFW was probably smarter than his therapists, in contrast to me who just falsely believes that. I sometimes have the feeling to be more realistic about my whole situation.
Though it is true during the last 2 years I have improved. I would have never believed to stay stable at college. It is always often at the edge of a collapse but I am still preventing the worst.

I think we have to differentiate two things. Being smarter than your therapist or just knowing more than your therapist.
Though there is a problem. It is called intersubjectivity.
Here is a thread I once made about it.

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/the-problem-of-intersubjectivity-and-mental-illness.91724/

I think it is true I know more variables, details about my past, have deeper knwoledge on my mind than my therapists. But there is the problem that I am not distanced to my emotions and feelings. It is difficult to be perfectly rational. It is very very difficult to estimate that.

I have the feeling my therapists and parents have a positive bias. And if I told them how dark I imagine my future they would tell me I had a negative bias.

Very soon my appointments with my therapist will be over. He is extremely optimistic about my future. One reason for that is he calls me so self-aware and intellligent. I am very skilled in coping with my fragile mind and I have learned a lot of skills how to cope with it. Yeah I don't tell him how pessimistic I really am. Due to the fact we could not change anything. It is impossible to extend the appoinments. I like him he did his best, we made some progress. Yeah that's it. Nothing more. I need several miracles so that my life won't end with suicide. For the moment I have gained life quality. But the way bigger problem is. My illness very likely proceeds in cycles. No matter how smart or savvy I behave. A new crash will come sooner or later. I think this will be the price for my current stability. I really feel like that. I got better to cope with stress. It felt like my brain chemistry changed. I don't know I am not fully manic and not fully depressed. Something has changed and I did not really have control over it. I think similarly I won't have control over a decline when it will happen.

We both had a deal. And I accepted it. We always deal with the current problems. We concentrate our energy on the current problems not the ones that might emerge in the future. Yeah I pretended I could do that. Obivoulsy I can't. To ignore them kind of helps my productivity. And sometimes it feels very good and helpful to ignore them. But there are a lot of ifs and buts. I concentrate all my energy on college. But it is really difficult to predict whether I will be able to hold a job. In my last jobs I mostly was crippled due to my mental torment. The work really triggered me. It is not unlikely that this will happen again. Noone can predict it. Yeah I try to be agnostic about it. Maybe I am al little bit too pressimistic on it but I would also say my current therapist is way positive about my future. I think I gave him the feeling I had everything under control. On the surface this might be right but there are lot of developments which are very dangerous and warning signs.

I don't know how I shall solve some of the coming problems. My life in college will be extreme next semester. There will come extremely difficult curses. Honestly I think this will probably break me. In the past I was too pessimistic about college. But the problems and difficulties will just grow more and more. I really cannot see how I will survive the next semester. It might force me to commit suicide. I won't go into details now.

The thing is: I think I just know more than my therapists. I know so much about my mind and I am quite self-aware. At leat this is how I feel. Yeah maybe inter-subjectivitiy is a problem. But my therapists are clearly short-sighted. They often forget a lot of stuff I tell them. I know way more details about my mind compared to them. This is why I sometimes feel superior to them. This is kind of dangerous because yourself can become an echoe chamber easily. I still listen to feedback. Sometimes with my therapists I tell them about some of my fear without admitting how negative I feel towars them. In my opinion they are more like "yeah everything will be fine. There will be an happy end for sure. Why shouldn't be there one?! Yeah I sometimes leave some remarks which should let them question this assumption. But If I am not very explicit about it they ever notice it."

To add one thing. My therapists often ask me how stable I consider myself. And they often have admitted that I probably know more about that than they. Yeah if you rely on my information and I am the complete source for that. I just feel like I have an advantage to predict the development of my mind. Though this might be a little bit arrogant and megalomaniac due to the fact I have not studied this subject. It is probably a dangerous behavior and I would not suggest it to anyone else. But it is just how I feel sometimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: akana and hungry_ghost
woe-boy

woe-boy

Never feeling love like that anymore
Mar 30, 2022
Therapists are hired hands. They do not perform miracles, change your thinking, and rarely offer meaningful advice. If they did, they would hemorrhage clients relentlessly.

Our medicine-backed modern culture thinks mental illness can be treated by such means. My therapist honestly made me feel worse, more confused, and more fears about my future. Generalized anxiety disorder in my case, is something that isn't necessarily cured by some stranger talking to me. Friends help me more. And that only goes so far.

Reactions: akana and obafgkm