D

ddd1234

Experienced
Nov 23, 2021
Hi guys, I want to tell you that there is hope.

Last year I was in a very bad place.I had trouble with anxiety and insomnia in September and October so I went to a doctor. She prescribe me benzodiazepines. When I took the first pill I become relaxed, but I woke up in the middle of the night with the feeling of doom. The next day in the morning I went to gym to calm down and after excercising my heart started beating fast,I thought I had a heart attack, I had a full blown panic attack. I went to Emergency unit and they told me that everything is fine with my heart.

I came back to my doctor and she upped the dose of benzo and added paroxetine and trazadone. The next days were only worse, I started having suicide thoughts and terrible insomnia. Unofrtunatelly, six years before there was suicide in my family, so at this moment I was panicked that I will end the same way. I was scared that my sleep is damaged pernamently, I was anxious that I would lose my GF, I was scared that I would not be able to handle my job. I Went to doctor again ang guess what? More drugs! My mental health went down every day, the only thing i did was to spend all day in bed and ruminate. . I spiraled down and went to the psych ward for 4 days, I was discharged, they told me that I had depression and anxiety. One month later I had argue with my family, I talked them that I am suicidal and gonna kill myself. They called for the ambulance, and they took me to the most obscure and hellish psychiatric hospital you can imagine ( couldn't go to the previous one because of some covid restricitions) . I was put to the same room with narocmans and people with obvious brain damage. In the hellish psych hospital I spent more than 3 weeks and the experience was a pure nightmare. The first day, after 2 minute talk with the doctors , they said " Oh so after taking ssri you had suicide thoughts, that has to be underlying bipolar ! " They started treating me with mood stabilizers and very high doses of antispychotics. It zombified me, finally I was discharged in January 2022 with the diagnosis : Bipolar with psychotic features. I was in very dark place, I wanted to give up. My lovely GF told me that this bipolar diagnosis doesnt make sense ( I never had any mania episode or depresiion episode before. I didn't have hallucinations nor hearing voices), she convinced me to try one more doctor. I decided that I would give a try. I found the most expensive psychaitrist in my country. But it was worht it. The first meeting lasted 40 minutes and he told me that the new diagnosis is not convincing and he prepared plan for me to taper off antipsychotic and mood stabilizer - and stay off the drugs to reset my nervous system. This brought hope to my heartt. I could be drug free! I started swimming every day, went back to work and after one month, was drug free and I felt much better - still anxious and depressed but with no suicide intentions. I had hope.

Then I started therapy - cognitive behavioral therapy and I slowly recoverd to the point that there are days that I am no anxious nor depressed at all.

I learned one thing - I will never ever touch any psych drug again. I don't want to have anything to do with psychiatry. For me, this branch of medicine lost all the respect.

Please, have hope! If you suffer from depression, anxiety or insmnia , you may recover even if you don't believe it !

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Capsaicin78, chloramine, CC123 and 9 others
jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
I'm glad you had some luck with your new psychiatrist*hugs* well done for getting this far!

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: CC123, waitingforrest, Dead Ghost and 1 other person
y'ffre

y'ffre

My English could be bad :)
Aug 15, 2022
Yeah, psychiatry is a joke. I was also hospitalized and tried many drugs, anti-psychotics included (I haven't ever had psycosis in my whole life) Drugs did not work even 1%. I am also drug-free now.
I am happy for you as much as a stranger can be. :hug:

• Hugs
Reactions: chloramine, waitingforrest, NumbItAll and 2 others
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
Absolutely awesome!! your post helped make my day and I am so, so happy for you! Just plain wonderful!!

You are a beautiful soul and have a great weekend.

Walter

• Love
Reactions: CC123, waitingforrest, ColorlessTrees and 1 other person
lofticries

lofticries

obedear
Feb 27, 2021
I'm glad everything turned out for the best for you despite the turbulent start.

Hope things only get better for you.

• Love
Reactions: waitingforrest and whywere
hamvil

hamvil

Wizard
Aug 29, 2022
Really happy for your story. I tried therapy for 1.5 years but without results. I should start again now but I am too tired.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: chloramine, Zegers, waitingforrest and 3 others
D

ddd1234

Experienced
Nov 23, 2021
@hamvil

if you don't want to go to the therapy that's fine. You can learn the most powerful techniques and use it by yourself. For me, the crucial techniques are:

-Refreaming thoughts - when you have negative and intruisive thoughts that usually bring negative emotions, try to find an alternative thought that is less painful but still not obviously fake. You need to write down this alternative thoughts and every time when you fall into the old bad way of thinking , you just open your notepad, read the alternative thought that you wrote before and gently put yourself on right track. The most important thing is consistency, because it is like forming habit - if you do it once or twice , it maybe help for a moment but after a while the old patern returns. You need to bring the better, alternative thought every time the negative thought occurs.

- Stopping rumination and worrying - If you are depressed or anxious, I bet that you have this awful habit of ruminating about past mistakes or worrying about future. Your mind loves to create this negative stories in your head and reapeat it very often. I falsely believed that rumination cannot be stopped - I fell into this psychiatry fraud of brain chemisty and low serotonin. I just thought that these intruisive thoughts and rumination are caused by low serotonin and cannot be avoided and... that's a big LIE ! You can stop rumination and worrying and it is not even that hard! Of course, when you stop rumination, these intruisive thoughts will come back after a while, but don't be discouraged, if you refuse to focus on this thoughts again and again, they will leave you sooner or later.

- Strict schedule - Staying in bed and spending all time online do nothing good to your mental health. If you don't have job, you need to have some other activities outside your home. Don's stay in bed in the morning. Before you go to sleep at night, ensure that you have strict plan for the next day.

- Sport before bed time: For me, intense swimming 1 hour and sauna at 7 pm every day cured insomnia better than any sleep aid or antipsychotics. Be regular with sport activities.

- Going to church every sunday. I am an agnostic but I started going to church every Sunday when my recovery journe begun. And I don't only go and sit, I am very active, sing all the church songs louder than any grandma :D Even though I don't really believe in God, praying and singing in Church makes me feel much better than reading all the nonsense about disrupted brain chamistry and low serotonine written by so called experts. I was very "rational and science oriented" person in the past, now it's time to develop spirituality.

If you are interested in recovery there are some good matierials online, I recommend book "Depression Cure", and the website by dr Michael j Greenberg.

• Informative
Reactions: CC123, waitingforrest, Arrow and 1 other person
hamvil

hamvil

Wizard
Aug 29, 2022
@hamvil

if you don't want to go to the therapy that's fine. You can learn the most powerful techniques and use it by yourself. For me, the crucial techniques are:

-Refreaming thoughts - when you have negative and intruisive thoughts that usually bring negative emotions, try to find an alternative thought that is less painful but still not obviously fake. You need to write down this alternative thoughts and every time when you fall into the old bad way of thinking , you just open your notepad, read the alternative thought that you wrote before and gently put yourself on right track. The most important thing is consistency, because it is like forming habit - if you do it once or twice , it maybe help for a moment but after a while the old patern returns. You need to bring the better, alternative thought every time the negative thought occurs.

- Stopping rumination and worrying - If you are depressed or anxious, I bet that you have this awful habit of ruminating about past mistakes or worrying about future. Your mind loves to create this negative stories in your head and reapeat it very often. I falsely believed that rumination cannot be stopped - I fell into this psychiatry fraud of brain chemisty and low serotonin. I just thought that these intruisive thoughts and rumination are caused by low serotonin and cannot be avoided and... that's a big LIE ! You can stop rumination and worrying and it is not even that hard! Of course, when you stop rumination, these intruisive thoughts will come back after a while, but don't be discouraged, if you refuse to focus on this thoughts again and again, they will leave you sooner or later.

- Strict schedule - Staying in bed and spending all time online do nothing good to your mental health. If you don't have job, you need to have some other activities outside your home. Don's stay in bed in the morning. Before you go to sleep at night, ensure that you have strict plan for the next day.

- Sport before bed time: For me, intense swimming 1 hour and sauna at 7 pm every day cured insomnia better than any sleep aid or antipsychotics. Be regular with sport activities.

- Going to church every sunday. I am an agnostic but I started going to church every Sunday when my recovery journe begun. And I don't only go and sit, I am very active, sing all the church songs louder than any grandma :D Even though I don't really believe in God, praying and singing in Church makes me feel much better than reading all the nonsense about disrupted brain chamistry and low serotonine written by so called experts. I was very "rational and science oriented" person in the past, now it's time to develop spirituality.

If you are interested in recovery there are some good matierials online, I recommend book "Depression Cure", and the website by dr Michael j Greenberg.
Nobody asked you for all this false positivism and crappy therapy. You simply do not understand what I am experiencing. The beauty of my life is gone and your superficial comments will not bring it back.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: chloramine, waitingforrest, Obliviate and 2 others
y'ffre

y'ffre

My English could be bad :)
Aug 15, 2022
@hamvil

Some of them sound like pro-lifers' recommendations. People can be angry when they see them. But I am glad that these things worked for you.

Reactions: waitingforrest
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
I'm glad you found something that works for you. There should be a more conservative approach when prescribing psych meds (lower starting doses, maybe some way of testing to narrow things down, more in-depth consultations). They can help people but they can also cause a lot of havoc which gets overlooked.

• Hugs
Arrow

Arrow

Rewrite
May 1, 2020
@hamvil

Most of this is just flat out good advice. Even the church thing, even if i'm an atheist. When something works for that many people there's probably something to it. I've never been into social gatherings and they don't help me much but I've noticed that the overwhelming majority of people here either don't have many friends irl, don't have any friends irl, or don't get out and socialize.

Of course, there are things that aren't church you could do instead, and if they're more in line with your interests than church is then do those instead, but if you're not sure where to start just head over to a local church on a sunday and it's a guarantee that everyone there will be polite because they're all going there more or less for the same reason; for the community bonding, belief in some greater good that they together are in the presence of and striving towards, hope, etc. Forget about whether it's about a God or not, it doesn't even matter.

• Informative
theboy

theboy

Illuminated
Jul 15, 2022
Great story of overcoming
Congratulations

• Love
Reactions: whywere
Zegers

Zegers

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
Well, you have a family, a supportive girlfriend and projects, guess those are motivating factors.

Good luck

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere