• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

fuyu

fuyu

Oct 30, 2023
Title says it all. Since I was young, I've never been able to bother about studying because my results have always been decent without studying at all. I gratuated from high school this way and eventually got into University. Without any surprised, I continued doing this, ended up being in the top students of my Uni after the first semester. However, my results being high last semester, I want to push it harder and actually try for once. I'd say it's both about impostor syndrome and scared of disappointing suddenly, but I'm preparing to study abroad next year, and I can't afford to fail this year (and my failing I mean having average grades).

Here's the problem come: I've been so used to not studying a lot/not at all. So every time I want to study, I procrastinate and tell myself "that's fine, I'll study 15 mins the day before exams and I'll do good". But I don't want that anymore... I want to force myself into studying and cut my confidence for once. Is there anyone who can relate to me and/or can give me advice to fight my ego and procrastination ? I'm a very fast learner, and I'd like to make better profit of my capacities.

sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that's just me
Sep 13, 2023
I struggle with procrastination as well. I need pressure/an incentive to do any task, otherwise I won't do it. This pressure is usually people screaming at and getting mad at me. My mom says that my brain is broken. I have ADHD and already graduated college. I was on my meds during college; they helped a lot I think.

• Aww..
Reactions: fuyu
fuyu

fuyu

Oct 30, 2023
I struggle with procrastination as well. I need pressure to do any task, otherwise I won't do it. This pressure is usually people screaming at & getting mad at me, and telling me to do it. My mom says that my brain is broken.
Couldn't relate more to that. I feel like my attitude is so selfish, just doing everything whenever I want. I always push deadline and disappoint others when it comes to other tasks

Reactions: sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
Couldn't relate more to that. I feel like my attitude is so selfish, just doing everything whenever I want. I always push deadline and disappoint others when it comes to other tasks
That's me as well. Btw have ever you gotten tested for ADHD?

sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
Yeah, could there be any solutions linked with it?
For me, meds helped a lot. People told me about time management, but personally, I never grasped that concept. I don't even have a concept of time. Maybe try to create some artificial pressure for you to study? Or like have a reward in mind?

fuyu

fuyu

Oct 30, 2023
For me, meds helped a lot. People told me about time management, but personally, I never grasped that concept. I don't even have a concept of time. Maybe try to create some artificial pressure for you to study? Or like have a reward in mind?
I relate to you so much lol
How could I create artificial pressure?
Rewarding myself sounds like a good idea, but I don't know how I could set that up. I know I would just give up the reward/skip through the process to get to it faster...

Blurry_Buildings

Blurry_Buildings

Just Existing
Sep 27, 2023
I think there is an app somewhere that takes your money and if you don't complete your tasks and check them off in time it will send it to a cause you morally despise... so there is that lol

• Informative
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
I relate to you so much lol
How could I create artificial pressure?
Rewarding myself sounds like a good idea, but I don't know how I could set that up. I know I would just give up the reward/skip through the process to get to it faster...
Idk. For me in college, it was the deadline. Maybe try setting your deadline earlier than it actually is? Now, the pressure is my mom yelling and getting mad at me lol. I think it activates a switch in my brain that gets me to finally do the thing

Last edited:
Reactions: Final_Choice
Final_Choice

Final_Choice

Mage
Aug 3, 2023
I still have this problem nowadays, so I'm not sure if my suggestions will be helpful or not but worth thinking about at least. As was already said, try to get tested for ADHD and see if the meds they give you helps out.

Besides that make a schedule with small, detailed goals instead of just a simple deadline for when it's due, like set apart a specific timeframe during the day to study for a class and break apart your work and set individual deadlines for each part (professors might be willing to help you out in creating the artificial pressure for this if you tell them you're struggling with procrastination) try your best to get into a habit of following it.
Put yourself in an environment that makes it easier to study, whether that's a library, empty classroom, or other place you feel comfortable studying but that the environment itself won't cause you to procrastinate.
If you can and feel comfortable, try studying with others to force you to get into study-mode if the people around you are studying. Some types of music have helped me focus on studying and not get distracted as much, so that might also help.

I still struggle with procrastination and some of these things may not work for you, but are worth considering at least.

U

Ulrich

Mar 6, 2024
I have the same problem with procrastination, so I've tried to develop an optimal way to study. I may also have ADHD, I dunno.

I think what matters is how you study. If you truly are a fast learner, then you should be fine eliminating a lot of unnecessary note taking. If you don't understand something, then skip it and come back later. What matters is maintaining a pace you find desirable.
That is, you should create a sustained environment in which you are able to progress rapidly while understanding the content. If you feel as if you are making headway, then it will motivate you to continue.
And try to keep tabs on what you understand. If you understand something, then you should have no issue articulating it to some imaginary person within your head. But never neglect the simple facts. Try articulating why simple facts underly more complex problems e.g., articulating basic calculus through measure theoretic language.
Also, try setting internal benchmarks for yourself. That is, in terms of your understanding of a subject. What is the fundamental relation between X and Y? What rules govern the behaviour of this system? Develop a hypothesis, or use facts to construct auxiliary propositions. This applies to most subjects, whether that be mathematics, medicine, economics.
I think the aim is simply to get lost in time rather than fixating yourself on it.

TL;DR, rather than fixating on a long-term goal, try to create synthetic short-term goals. Go at a pace you find stimulating.

SexyIncél

SexyIncél

🍭my lollipop brings the feminists to my candyshop
Aug 16, 2022
Justin Sung's the best I know on this topic. He mentions riding your motivation level. I've forwarded the vid to the right point, worth taking a quick look to see if it helps

fwiw, I think that just as the brain's a forgetfulness machine (to avoid remembering the massive info you take in), it also prunes tasks it deems unnecessary