letsgetburgers

letsgetburgers

Burgers are my favorite food.
Mar 13, 2020
My GF lives in the west coast while I live in the south. We've met many times already and we really wanted to see each other this upcoming weekend so we can play animal crossing!! My depression has been so very bad and I'm on the brink of hanging myself or ODing. I had bought a plane ticket at the beginning of the year after saving my miles to see her again. But my mom is telling me to cancel and reschedule it. I want to because I'm scared of all this covid-19 stuff. But at the same time I just want to say screw it because I REALLY need this and I REALLY miss her and I'm tired of feeling so alone. I don't only miss her, but her family!! It's so rare to find an LGBT relationship where the family is so welcoming and loving and accepting of it all and of us. Being around her and her family really make me feel like I'm apart of them. I've never had that growing up. And my suicide ideation and depression is really pushing me closer to the edge more and more everyday especially because of work... Work has me beyond stressed out, which I'll probably post in another venting post about that later. If I don't cancel and reschedule it, I'm set to visit her and be in her home Thursday night. I'll have to make my final decision tomorrow rather I'll have to wait a couple more months or not. Im 50/50 on my decision right now, but incase I do cancel, can I please have some word of encouragement that I can make it?? It's getting harder and harder more than ever.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Ame and faust
A

AcornUnderground

Mage
Feb 28, 2020
Just go!

Reactions: letsgetburgers and autumnal
PhilosOfDoom

PhilosOfDoom

Experienced
Nov 22, 2019
The CDC actually recommends to not skip or cancel your flights! Go, meet her, and have a blast :wink:

Reactions: Suicidefantasy, letsgetburgers and autumnal
faust

faust

lost among the stars
Jan 26, 2020
Hello, you did a great job telling us about your problems.
I think if you have already bought a ticket, then why not use it for the purpose intended?
You have literally nothing to lose, you have a real chance of visiting the person whose name is not just a sound.
Let's be honest, there are 4,5k cases of covid-19 in USA.
In USA lives 327M people. So it is roughly 1/73000 probability of getting covid. That's nothing. Yes, unconfirmed cases are more, but if these cases are unconfirmed, means people feel okay and the symptoms are not too harsh to go to the hospital.

Reactions: letsgetburgers, autumnal and Huntfish34
HelensNepenthe

HelensNepenthe

Thoughtful poster
Jan 17, 2019
The CDC actually recommends to not skip or cancel your flights! Go, meet her, and have a blast :wink:
Varies on the country that you are traveling to. The CDC website will indicate which countries the CDC does not recommend you fly to. United States travel is fine as long as you're aware of the precautions outlined below.

Ongoing community transmission of COVID-19 has been reported globally.

Travel Health Guidance
  • Older adults and people of any age with serious chronic medical conditions are at increased risk for severe disease and should consider postponing nonessential travel to USA.
  • CDC recommends that you not travel when you are sick

If you travel to USA:
  • Monitor your health and practice social distancing for 14 days after returning to the United States
  • Avoid contact with sick people
  • Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol

---

@letsgetburgers

While I would advocate anyone seeing their significant other, I also would strongly encourage looking for resources regarding your own health. While no one on here knows your dynamic in your relationship, it is a struggle being someone's support system while dealing with your own issues. Neglecting your own mental health by channeling your focus onto other things (see: girlfriend, animal crossing) only makes the situation a lot harder for you. It'll be a stronger bite that will continue to build up -- as you've described in your own post.

Best of luck. See her and try to make positive solutions for your own self too. Otherwise you may be tearing your relationship apart while still fighting your uphill battles. As someone who was in a previous long distance relationship, it is very easy to suddenly drop someone compared to an actual physical relationship. In no means is this suggesting your relationship is invalid or any long distance relationship for that matter, this comment is to only give you a perspective.

Below is a jam that one of my favorite bands did about mental health in a relationship. Hopefully to give you some perspective of what I am talking about.

Best of luck,
Nepenthe

Last edited:
Reactions: letsgetburgers and autumnal
PhilosOfDoom

PhilosOfDoom

Experienced
Nov 22, 2019
Varies on the country that you are traveling to. The CDC website will indicate which countries the CDC does not recommend you fly to. United States travel is fine as long as you're aware of the precautions outlined below.

---

@letsgetburgers

While I would advocate anyone seeing their significant other, I also would strongly encourage looking for resources regarding your own health. While no one on here knows your dynamic in your relationship, it is a struggle being someone's support system while dealing with your own issues. Neglecting your own mental health by channeling your focus onto other things (see: girlfriend, animal crossing) only makes the situation a lot harder for you. It'll be a stronger bite that will continue to build up -- as you've described in your own post.

Best of luck. See her and try to make positive solutions for your own self too. Otherwise you may be tearing your relationship apart while still fighting your uphill battles. As someone who was in a previous long distance relationship, it is very easy to suddenly drop someone compared to an actual physical relationship. In no means is this suggesting your relationship is invalid or any long distance relationship for that matter, this comment is to only give you a perspective.

Below is a jam that one of my favorite bands did about mental health in a relationship. Hopefully to give you some perspective of what I am talking about.

Best of luck,
Nepenthe

Sorry, meant WHO; https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/travel-advice. But you are onto something with the mental health. Dependence on a singular person is very bad mentally, and practically. Different turns in life could render it 100x worse if something were to happen, e.g inability to travel, relationship troubles, etc. Moreover, it stresses the other individual within the relationship. Again, sorry for the mistake. Do not have all my mental faculty.

Reactions: letsgetburgers