• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

franklynlb

franklynlb

Oct 13, 2020
Hello, i've been posting my journey through trying to meet new people, and last time i met someone who i told i had depression, which was a concern of mine, and he was totally ok with it. Thing is, i think i ruined it already, he became friendly way too fast and i thought i could too, and when i started unleashing my stuff on him he suddenly became distant... I'm trying to give him a few days away from me, and i wonder, what did i do wrong? Why is it so hard to keep a conection with people? Do you have issues when it comes to finding people to talk and how do you deal with em?

sarahR

sarahR

Experienced
Nov 11, 2020
Well I became really good fiends with someone who unfortunately went to heaven yesterday. I now decided not to give myself completely to anyone. Cause she's at peace and I'm picking up the pieces in my heart right now.

stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
It's probably not your fault...some people with depression get trigged easily, depending on what you said it might be too much for him or he related too much.
Just try to make contact one more time...if he doesn't answer then you might start talking to someone else.
Its hard to find reliable people nowadays, everyone's got their own problems to deal with. some might not even notice that they are hurting the other person by ignoring them.
Don't give up though!
Maybe don't start telling everything about you in the first few weeks.
And also don't just focus on one person.

franklynlb

franklynlb

Oct 13, 2020
Thank you, i feel so foolish how in a few days i scare people away. He answers my messages if i write, but just enough, he doesn't seem interested. Thanks for the advice and words, it's hard to tell what i can tell people that won't scare em and trying to remain true to myself by being honest.

Donk

Donk

Useless since day 1
Jan 3, 2020
Thank you, i feel so foolish how in a few days i scare people away. He answers my messages if i write, but just enough, he doesn't seem interested. Thanks for the advice and words, it's hard to tell what i can tell people that won't scare em and trying to remain true to myself by being honest.

Some people will back off if you disclose the fact that you are suffering from depression. simply because they are afraid of dealing with someone who quite possibly be emotionally unstable. I'm not saying you are but i can imagine him playing defense and back off a bit. There's plenty of fishes in the sea, I'm sure you'll find someone who will accept you for who you are . keep your head up!

W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
I am 64 years young and I have ALWAYS had problems conecting with people also. I have always wondered if either a) I spooked them by saying/telling about myself including my mental health or b) they have some type of issue that THEY can not deal with as far as being with the human race. Some I feel are very nice and just do not know how to go forward with a friendship/relationship and others are too "good"and they do not want to be with a person. I was just at a company for 1 week and got fired, and I mentioned about my mental health to a person at the company AND after I got fired and got home, cops were waiting to talk to me to see if I was "ok". So even at 64 years young it goes on!!!!!!!!