raltsrover

raltsrover

Ñom
Oct 14, 2023
I'm so tired of making the same mistakes all over again because I forget. I just dont get it. Why am I so intelligent academically but cant even understand basic social cues.

I've been with my boyfriend for about 4 months now, and he's literally the best. I honestly feel happy for the first time in a very long time. The only problem is that I have a lot of trouble understanding that people exist when they're not physically next to me, so many times I find myself forgetting to text him important things. For example, he told me to tell him at what time I finish class for him to pick me up and go somewhere important. I completely forgot and he ended up having to go alone, and he feels really ignored. I've apologized to him and told him I'll be doing all I can to remember, but it just keeps happening, even if I do really care about changing this attitude. I have diagnosed ADHD and autism, I dont know it has something to do with this :(. I really care about him and I dont want him to suffer because of me. Do you guys have a technique to keep track of things that could help me? Thanks :).

moondazed

moondazed

ex nihilo nihil fit
Oct 14, 2023
I'm so tired of making the same mistakes all over again because I forget. I just dont get it. Why am I so intelligent academically but cant even understand basic social cues.

I've been with my boyfriend for about 4 months now, and he's literally the best. I honestly feel happy for the first time in a very long time. The only problem is that I have a lot of trouble understanding that people exist when they're not physically next to me, so many times I find myself forgetting to text him important things. For example, he told me to tell him at what time I finish class for him to pick me up and go somewhere important. I completely forgot and he ended up having to go alone, and he feels really ignored. I've apologized to him and told him I'll be doing all I can to remember, but it just keeps happening, even if I do really care about changing this attitude. I have diagnosed ADHD and autism, I dont know it has something to do with this :(. I really care about him and I dont want him to suffer because of me. Do you guys have a technique to keep track of things that could help me? Thanks :).
Ah this is the worst, letting our loved ones down. I hope your boyfriend can understand and grant you some grace.

Alarms on your phone, notes on your hands, or just writing it down literally anywhere can help cement it into your brain. When I was younger and struggled with this more (before I was medicated for adhd) I would make a game over things I couldn't forget and would give myself points if I didn't forget it or deduct points if I did. I kept a journal to tally it and it surprising made things a bit better. I think gamifying tasks can really help the adhd brain

Either way, best of luck! I know how tough it is.

Reactions: raltsrover and Enlighten