D

Doctors HATE them

She/they
Nov 16, 2022
Making friends is always hard and always takes at least a year for me. Once I am finally friends with someone, I vent too much and act super clingy and push them away. This has happened three times already. I currently have no friends. I've read that hobbies are important but my favorite thing is talking to people and sending them memes and videos; no hobby I have comes remotely close to that level of enjoyment and I get bored of doing them an hour or less after starting to do them. I am already in therapy, but my therapist keeps suggesting I make new friends when maintaining them is the bigger issue. When I bring up that I would rather learn to make friendships last longer, she sort of wordplays me into agreeing with her that I need to make friends (don't remember exactly how). Basically, does anyone have any advice on how to maintain friendships?

• Hugs
Reactions: ChronicPainExistent, ColorlessTrees, card1nal and 1 other person
remluvr

remluvr

Trying to Find Forever peace.
Jun 17, 2024
Sadly I have no advice as I'm also looking to find the answers as well, But I will say if you'd like to TRY to become friends I'd be happy too. I love memes and don't mind videos at all :D Best of luck though <3

Reactions: ChronicPainExistent
card1nal

card1nal

trying to find peace by whatever means possible :)
Jan 23, 2023
Friendships are hard to maintain if they aren't with the right people. If you are putting in all this effort and getting nothing in return, those aren't your people! Friendships do require effort, but they require mutual effort; you should not have to do all this heavy-lifting. If your friends are uncomfortable with any of your behaviors they should be able to communicate that and set boundaries! Lack of communication is a big reason for dying friendships. If you want to maintain your current friendships, like you really feel like it's worth it, maybe explain how you feel and see if there is anything you can do differently. If they are unresponsive or have a bad reaction, it's a sign that they aren't good a friend! I wish you all the best of luck in finding the right people.

Reactions: ChronicPainExistent
A

Aloneandinpain

Student
Dec 25, 2023
It's good to find someone where you have something in common.

So if can be a hobby but other things help too. For example a similar illness, sense of humour, taste in food, political worldview. Anything really.

You don't even have to be the same, just compatible. For example, most sensible Conservatives see through the lies of legacy mainstream media and held them in contempt. Meanwhile, there's a split on the left with many being being brainwashed but a substantial minority have a decent amount of skepticism. Thus that minority would potentially still be compatible with many conservatives