settheory

settheory

Bundle of perceptions
Jul 29, 2021

Don't get me wrong, this video might even help someone. Technically, it is not wrong for the most part. Unhealthy lifestyle mentioned in this video would likely decrease one's wellbeing. But it seems like behind that wholesome rhethoric hides something ugly. It is way too similar to the way pretend-nice abusers talk or ignorant people talk. it can be harmful too. Tries to appear smart and sciencey, but just repeats the common stereotypes about the depressed and generally mentally distressed. The common folk eats that up and thinks it's actually scientific. It could be trying to gaslight the vulnerable into thinking that they are at fault. Patterns of speech similar to the one of abusers if we get beyond the veil of sciencey speech (veiling is one of the methods they use, like "sciencey" veiling). Or it could be just ignorance.

Confusion of correlation and causation. Many people after watching this video that the person whom they know who spends a lot of time using computer and goes outside not often is sad and depressed precisely because of that, not any actualy causes, like abuse and bullying for example. No context, no nuance. And people suffer because of the such ignorance of others. And the internet for some people is sometimes the only place where they can feel safe and validated, if most people with whom they interact (coworkers, parents, classmates, "loved ones", etc.) are abusive and cruel. This website, for example.

Also, child abusers would really like this video. It's validates them quite a lot. "I never ever harmed my child! It's the internet and staying inside all day what makes them sad!".

Even a person who spends a lot of time by the screen, doesn't go outside often, and so on might actually be happy. Not that i am trying to promote unhealthy lifestyles, just saying that after watching this people might think a person is miserable precisely because of what was mentioned in the video, not because of anything much heavier, what is actually the cause.

Some things that video tells will help might actually help somewhat. But it's almost like he tries to pose them as a universal cure for misery.

This video is very much like the majority's attitude toward the different kinds of mentally distressed, those who are just labelled "mentally ill", and some other vulnerable groups of individuals. Pretending to want to help, to be positive, while in reality they just falsely imagine some alleged reasons of a person's distress, think that they inflict in on themselves, therefore weak and inferior, and use it as an excuse to bully them even more.

All in all, this video feels mostly like cruel mockery.

• Love
Reactions: š–£“ nadia š–£“, WonderingSoul, demuic and 4 others
WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit

I'm late, i'm late. For a very important date.
Feb 12, 2019
But it's almost like he tries to pose them as a universal cure for misery.
How? A lot of the stuff in the video I've heard many times before, but other than that I don't see what's so bad about it.