paredler

paredler

Student
Jul 31, 2022
There are a few reasons for this:

1. The language they often use in writing novels is too high and pretentious. It seems like the authors don't really want to tell a story, but rather, to show off their richness in language even though it makes the reading experience less comfortable and more toiling.

2. Many times, if not mostly, writers often add redundant descriptions like "The woman stretched in her chair like she was 8 hours into her shift, but she was just two hours in it", it didn't serve the plot or the story, the woman was not even necessarily tired or something. This detail could have been delelted and nothing about the story would have changed. Adding unimportant details, if done correctly, can serve the story or even add some value to it. I just read a wonderful novel where the author was very funny and witty and she said in one of her scenes "Then my friend was so angry, he slapped his croissant at the plate, but slapping a croissant at a plate never gets the effect one wants to achieve". This commentary was not at all necessary for the plot, but since it was funny, and it told us a detail about what the author thinks about this action and how she judged it, it was really fun reading it, but rarely writers manage to add such commentaries. Mosst commentaries are boring and only make my reading experience more effortful.

3. I'm a slow reader, for every five minutes I read, I tare one minute at the wall. It's hard for me to engage in reading a novel full of very elaborate descriptions of things. It's way easier for me to read non-fiction books where the subjects discussed are more substantial and when the writers elaborate about something, it's because its worth the time of elaborating, it's for describing something that really is more complicated and requires further explanation. Fiction novels use too many details when it's unnecesary. In many novels, there are so many parts I could skip and it wouldn't make any difference about undertanding the plot.

When it comes to fiction, I'd rather read a graphic novel, because it forces the writer to get to the point and not waste time on unnecessary details. I like reading graphic novel adaptations of classical novels. They're not always good, but at least I can read to the point I finally understand where the writer is getting at. I can't do this with written fiction novels.

Reactions: NumbItAll
NearlyIrrelevantCake

NearlyIrrelevantCake

The Cake Is A Lie
Aug 12, 2021
I'm not much into fiction in any form [books, tv, movies], but I don't think there's anything "wrong" with that.

Reactions: NumbItAll
cait_sith

cait_sith

Brain rotted, often missing word
Apr 8, 2024
this is why I like audiobooks, as i get to zone out whenever there are useless descriptions and stuff that feels like fillers, I often have to rewind when I miss major plot points though. I also hate the effort of reading useless fillings that every novel has.

L

lamargue

sleepwalker
Jun 5, 2024
depends on the book. i used to read a lot, though can't anymore due to low attention span and degeneration. seems to me like you are just reading authors incompatible with your tastes. read more concisely written novels if that's what you desire