LonelyNick

LonelyNick

They/Them, He/Him
Jul 15, 2020
At my 6th trip to the ER after my CBT attempt Monday, I was finally taken seriously and put on the OR float list for gallbladder surgery.

I spent 4 day with a NPO order from midnight to 8pm. Waited 4 days for the surgery. I was so dehydrated my veins kept on collapsing, I have a total of 15 needle pokes over my hands, arms and forearms. All covered in bruises of course.

They gave me a subdermal IV for meds and since I had surgery, they keep giving me fucking pills, but refuses to take the IV and needles out. Why? The needles cause me fucking pain and they're not even using it.

To add insutl to injury, the nurse this morning asked me if I preferred IV or pills, I said IV and she still brought me pills. Why waste my fucking time?!

I'm gonna be discharged today, god knows when, with those lazy, slow, nurses, it won't happen until after this afternoon I bet >>

Time to wait for my SN so I won't miss this time. Still want out of this shitty thing called life....

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: peacechoice, Stick, WearyWanderer and 5 others
Lupgevif

Lupgevif

Jul 23, 2020
When I had my rhinoplasty I was only able to get out of the hospital two hours after the doctor discharged me. The nurse that appeared to help me leave said it was because it was the start of her shift (even though I was free to go since 5 pm, she had come to my room only at 7 pm), and for some reason started flirting (it was not sexual at all, but weird nonetheless) with me, even saying I looked like a porcelain doll (?), which just looked like a silly attempt to compensate for her negligence. Any experience I had with nurses afterwards was fine, except they were always late.

Reactions: sadworld
P

Peachycherry

Oct 3, 2020
Sorry I only saw your thread now. I'm a nursing student, so I can try to answer some of your questions. First of all, I can tell that you didn't have a very good experience, I'm sorry for that. Like damn, 4 days NPO :'(. From my understanding, they probably kept the IVs in after your surgery to 'keep a line open', basically, should they need to administer you a IV med quickly they won't have to lose time and struggle to put the catheter in. I don't know if it can reassure you; the IV needles don't stay in your veins, they're only there to guide the catheter. Once it's in place, the needle is removed; all that's left is the supple catheter. Normally, it shouldn't hurt, so you're right to complain about the IVs hurting. Other than that, it was weird for the nurse to give you a choice of med and then not even respect that. Maybe something about your condition came up which made pills more suitable, I hope she didn't willingly play with your feelings, that's just cruel. I've had some experiences of my own with nurses being late/taking an eternity to prepare discharge papers, one time it took 4 hours from the time the doctor discharged me. What I'm going to say is going to sound mean, sorry: nurses don't only have you to take care of. If meds/care still need to be administered, that's going to be the priority over discharge papers, which is why it always takes forever. You still deserved a better care experience though. The healthcare system also plays a role in my ctb plan, I wouldn't want to fail and be stuck in it, ironically.
Wish you the best.