DontplayGod

DontplayGod

She/her
Feb 6, 2022
The past few months I was actually doing somewhat well. I wasn't thinking about killing myself every second but I slept in one day and spiraled to where I feel I would be better off dead. So I'm in band and missed a rehearsal because I slept in, I had to be up by 5:30 and couldn't fucking fall asleep until 3 so I slept in and woke up around 7. I am the soloist so I have a responsibility to be there, but I can't be relied on for that not to mention that I can be replaced. It's stupid but band is really the only thing keeping me going, but now that I let everyone down I know it would be better without me and I'm having trouble functioning now. It's just so dumb how I go from completely fine to a non functional human being

• Hugs
Reactions: waitingforrest and Marine
T

timf

Enlightened
Mar 26, 2020
You mention that band is the only thing keeping you going. It is perhaps this narrow focus that tends to amplify things when you hit a bump in the road. If you had some variety such as a small group you perform with in addition to band, you might be able to diversify things and make a problem in one area of your life less impactful.

While investment of your life in a diversity of activities can reduce the impact of a negative experience, Having some options to exercise that can put the brakes on a downward spiral can also be useful. Consider a special indulgence such as a favorite food, book, movie, song, etc. Taking a time out for an indulgence can sometimes lessen the duration of a downward spiral.

Reactions: SuzeWantsOut
S

SuzeWantsOut

Sep 17, 2022
You're not dumb. You made a mistake, and it's one that should be rectified by school systems everywhere. Way back around 1999 Harvard U released a study that indicated we have it backwards. Smaller children are the ones who do well getting up very early in the morning; teens have an inner circadian rhythm that makes very early morning school attendance very, very difficult for them. This is a physiology issue—not a question your worthiness to be in the band or your competence.

My children were also very much attached to their band classes and performances, so I understand your desire to do well, and as a soloist, to be there, ready to go, on time. Unfortunately, nature has made the adolescent body function much much better later in the day than 5:30 AM.

If you were my friend, or my student (I taught for a few years, but not band), or my own son or daughter, I would ask you what you thought about just laying it all out in the open to the band instructor. "Here's what happened. I'm devastated. I feel a lot of responsibility to the band, and I want to do better. Can you help me think of ways to do so?"

When you are honest (here's what happened), and when you make it clear to your teachers that their class is valuable to you, that you want to be there, most will respond favorably. That's what they love—enthusiasm for their class and enough respect to just say, here's what happened; I know I messed up.

Everyone, every single person, makes mistakes. High school is a really challenging time. You're feeling pressure—and that's understandable. You've got good intentions. You can probably overcome these things. You just need some help, and that's what your instructors are supposed to be there for.

I do agree that you have gotten good advice from someone else on this thread—maybe you can find otyer musical groups to play with. You have passion for this—my god, that's beautiful. Music is one of the finest things in life, and yiu can play it? And solo? Celebrate yourself—even if you did make some mistakes.

It hurt you, I can read that in your words. But that's because you actually care about your class and you have integrity to feel a responsibility to your bandmates. These are all qualities that make you a good person—even though this hurt you.

To answer your original question: all the time. E thing can make me spiral, yes. But I'm so much older than you, and I never had any way of understanding that the ways my parents failed me made me believe I was unworthy in every way. So yes, one small thing, yes, I can right back down that rabbits hole. It's been decades of this. You're young enough to turn it around now. And I really really hope you will. You deserve a good life. And the world always needs musicians. Yes, I'm serious.

Reactions: The Eeyorish One, DontplayGod and makethepainstop
makethepainstop

makethepainstop

Visionary
Sep 16, 2022
But my friend you at least have a talent so that you can be in a band. I always wanted to be a singer, sigh, not in this life.

E

Earlgrey177

Jul 1, 2019
The past few months I was actually doing somewhat well. I wasn't thinking about killing myself every second but I slept in one day and spiraled to where I feel I would be better off dead. So I'm in band and missed a rehearsal because I slept in, I had to be up by 5:30 and couldn't fucking fall asleep until 3 so I slept in and woke up around 7. I am the soloist so I have a responsibility to be there, but I can't be relied on for that not to mention that I can be replaced. It's stupid but band is really the only thing keeping me going, but now that I let everyone down I know it would be better without me and I'm having trouble functioning now. It's just so dumb how I go from completely fine to a non functional human being
Same, was doing well for almost two months, got a job and really liked it, liked the job (ups), my co workers and supervisor, but like always I spiraled and impulsivity quit today after fucking up yesterday... Now I'm back on here.

Reactions: onlyanimalsaregood
DontplayGod

DontplayGod

She/her
Feb 6, 2022
You're not dumb. You made a mistake, and it's one that should be rectified by school systems everywhere. Way back around 1999 Harvard U released a study that indicated we have it backwards. Smaller children are the ones who do well getting up very early in the morning; teens have an inner circadian rhythm that makes very early morning school attendance very, very difficult for them. This is a physiology issue—not a question your worthiness to be in the band or your competence.

My children were also very much attached to their band classes and performances, so I understand your desire to do well, and as a soloist, to be there, ready to go, on time. Unfortunately, nature has made the adolescent body function much much better later in the day than 5:30 AM.

If you were my friend, or my student (I taught for a few years, but not band), or my own son or daughter, I would ask you what you thought about just laying it all out in the open to the band instructor. "Here's what happened. I'm devastated. I feel a lot of responsibility to the band, and I want to do better. Can you help me think of ways to do so?"

When you are honest (here's what happened), and when you make it clear to your teachers that their class is valuable to you, that you want to be there, most will respond favorably. That's what they love—enthusiasm for their class and enough respect to just say, here's what happened; I know I messed up.

Everyone, every single person, makes mistakes. High school is a really challenging time. You're feeling pressure—and that's understandable. You've got good intentions. You can probably overcome these things. You just need some help, and that's what your instructors are supposed to be there for.

I do agree that you have gotten good advice from someone else on this thread—maybe you can find otyer musical groups to play with. You have passion for this—my god, that's beautiful. Music is one of the finest things in life, and yiu can play it? And solo? Celebrate yourself—even if you did make some mistakes.

It hurt you, I can read that in your words. But that's because you actually care about your class and you have integrity to feel a responsibility to your bandmates. These are all qualities that make you a good person—even though this hurt you.

To answer your original question: all the time. E thing can make me spiral, yes. But I'm so much older than you, and I never had any way of understanding that the ways my parents failed me made me believe I was unworthy in every way. So yes, one small thing, yes, I can right back down that rabbits hole. It's been decades of this. You're young enough to turn it around now. And I really really hope you will. You deserve a good life. And the world always needs musicians. Yes, I'm serious.
This was beautifully written, thank you a lot for these kind words they mean a lot to me. A week or two after this happened and I started feeling better I had a long conversation with my director, he's a super understanding person and even gave me tips on how to wake up earlier/on time. He's quite aware of the schedule being super early and difficult for us, but finally got us after school rehearsals for Fridays. The football coach is kind of an ass tho so we're limited in how much field time we can have, but my band director has handled this whole situation amazingly. I've tried taking on more responsibility to help make up for this and still feel like a valuable contribution to the band, I've started doing a lot of after school stuff working with others to clean things up for our show and my band director has been appreciative so that makes me feel valuable to the band. Overall my band director has been an amazing influence and kept my passion for music alive and stronger than ever, which in turn gives me something to live for, at least for the next few years. Again I really appreciate the kind words and taking time out of your day to write this response. It really means a lot to me :)
But my friend you at least have a talent so that you can be in a band. I always wanted to be a singer, sigh, not in this life.
A misconception about talent is that people are born with it, but in reality a lot of it has to do with putting in work. If singing makes life more bearable then you should sing. I sounded like hot garbage when I started, but playing most everyday I got a lot better. The same applies for singing, I say go for it!

Last edited: