Un-

Un-

I'm a failure. An absolute waste. A LOSEr.
Apr 6, 2021
Look, I didn't think in a million years I'd make a thread like this, but life is fucking weird man.

I'm still dependent on my family for stuff. And, I'm looking for psychologists to go to. But when I reveal that I do want to go to one to whomever it may be - sister, mom, whatever - they always ask "Why?".

Why do you think? And I'm not telling you. It's none of your business.

But they feel offended by that. I get why. They feel hurt that I can't talk to them. It still doesn't justify it.

The questions as to why you're going and so forth just.. They really, really annoy me.

It should be a good thing.. You should be encouraging people to go to these things. Not asking questions that make them second guess, man. It's already bloody hard as it is.

Sigh.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Bardo, Dead Ghost, makethepainstop and 1 other person
Venus13

Venus13

Experienced
Oct 2, 2022
I feel the same. I'm very reserved and don't feel comfortable revealing my inner world to many people. If I'm close to someone, family or friends, and haven't told them about my inner pain yet then there's some kind of psychological block on that. If they ask me about what's going on it makes me squirm. I've never been expressive about my pain unless I feel someone is going to be respectful and receptive to it, which amounts to very few people.

There's something distinctly uncomfortable about this with family. I personally just don't feel they can handle my issues, and their misunderstanding will amount to unwanted awkwardness in interactions. The "why?" can also sometimes feel more judgmental than productive.

To respect your honest boundary of remaining private on your deepest feelings, but also to open up some communication with family, I would say just what you said here. It's private but I would like to seek help if you don't mind. A loved one should be open to that and hopefully respect your need for treatment and privacy.

• Love
Reactions: makethepainstop and Un-
Un-

Un-

Apr 6, 2021
I feel the same. I'm very reserved and don't feel comfortable revealing my inner world to many people. If I'm close to someone, family or friends, and haven't told them about my inner pain yet then there's some kind of psychological block on that. If they ask me about what's going on it makes me squirm. I've never been expressive about my pain unless I feel someone is going to be respectful and receptive to it, which amounts to very few people.

There's something distinctly uncomfortable about this with family. I personally just don't feel they can handle my issues, and their misunderstanding will amount to unwanted awkwardness in interactions. The "why?" can also sometimes feel more judgmental than productive.

To respect your honest boundary of remaining private on your deepest feelings, but also to open up some communication with family, I would say just what you said here. It's private but I would like to seek help if you don't mind. A loved one should be open to that and hopefully respect your need for treatment and privacy.
Thankfully they are respectful about.. The whole ordeal. My sister goes to therapy herself and my mother is a psychologist - industrial, but psychologist nonetheless. And my father is a doctor.

Like you, I can't.. I don't like telling my family about myself. My friend - not even a good one - knows more about me than them. I guess I feel secure in people that can't really affect my life that much.

Anyway, good wishes my friend!!

Venus13

Venus13

Experienced
Oct 2, 2022
My friend - not even a good one - knows more about me than them. I guess I feel secure in people that can't really affect my life that much.
That makes a lot of sense. There's something about family with this. I'm glad you told them you want to seek help. Maybe one day you'll feel comfortable opening up a bit more with them.

• Hugs
Reactions: Un-
makethepainstop

makethepainstop

Visionary
Sep 16, 2022
Telling those about you who would be saddened or horrified about your planes is a sure way to discover the un-joys of mental hospital confinement. they cannot understand that by forcing us to remain silent, we just hurt more.

• Hugs
Reactions: Un-
Un-

Un-

Apr 6, 2021
That makes a lot of sense. There's something about family with this. I'm glad you told them you want to seek help. Maybe one day you'll feel comfortable opening up a bit more with them.
With how I view them, it go in either direction: I grow closer, or I completely cut them off. And I don't want the latter option. Life without family is infinitely times harder.

Telling those about you who would be saddened or horrified about your planes is a sure way to discover the un-joys of mental hospital confinement. they cannot understand that by forcing us to remain silent, we just hurt more.
I'm aware not to let this information spill.

• Love
Reactions: makethepainstop