PinkSakura

PinkSakura

Rip Flower I'll never forget you </3 我想你花
Feb 8, 2021
So I have like 3 siblings (that I know of) broken family, parents split up when I was like 3 and none of my siblings are from both parents, all half siblings.

So I have an eldest brother that I've never met, then next my older sister (I'm closest to her) which I hate and I've done everything in my power to cut her out of my life. I constantly block her number and all her new email addresses that she tries to contact me on. Then I have a younger brother that I knew when he was new born, but he got sent to foster care before he turned one and I've made every effort to reject any invitations to visit him.

So as you may have noticed, I give absolutely 0 fricks about my siblings. I don't care if they live or die. But I also barely know them. (apart from my sister, I know her well and I wish the worst on her)

I've noticed that when other people have siblings that they broke contact with at an early age, or never met, they seem to really want to meet and have a long lasting relationship with their siblings.

Am I weird for not thinking this way lol? Also do you guys feel the same or different from me?
I'm asking because I really cannot put myself in the shoes of other people, it would be interesting to hear someone else's perspective.

• Hugs
  • Yay!
Reactions: Angst Filled Fuck Up, MellowAvenue, WonderingSoul and 5 others
depressedmaniac

depressedmaniac

Apr 19, 2022
I have 4 half siblings who are much older than me so I didnt grow up around. I spend a bit of time with them here and there. They are rather narcissistic and don't understand me of course. I don't care about them and they never really did about me much.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: MellowAvenue and PinkSakura
T

todestrieb

Dec 2, 2021
I went through a phase where I thought I wanted to reconnect but we're so different. Different lives. Different experiences. Massive age gaps. The bitterness flows through this family like ice. It's not worth it.

The only benefit I get out of it is I tell people my looney brother was killed in a sky diving accident over the Grand Canyon after packing his own chute. To be fair, he tells people I died in a car accident in 1999, but I wanted my story to be cooler. I just don't talk about my other siblings. I'm content without them I reckon.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: MellowAvenue, onlyanimalsaregood and PinkSakura
onlyanimalsaregood

onlyanimalsaregood

Unlovable 💔 Rest in peace CommitSudoku 🤍
Mar 11, 2022
So I have like 3 siblings (that I know of) broken family, parents split up when I was like 3 and none of my siblings are from both parents, all half siblings.

So I have an eldest brother that I've never met, then next my older sister (I'm closest to her) which I hate and I've done everything in my power to cut her out of my life. I constantly block her number and all her new email addresses that she tries to contact me on. Then I have a younger brother that I knew when he was new born, but he got sent to foster care before he turned one and I've made every effort to reject any invitations to visit him.

So as you may have noticed, I give absolutely 0 fricks about my siblings. I don't care if they live or die. But I also barely know them. (apart from my sister, I know her well and I wish the worst on her)

I've noticed that when other people have siblings that they broke contact with at an early age, or never met, they seem to really want to meet and have a long lasting relationship with their siblings.

Am I weird for not thinking this way lol? Also do you guys feel the same or different from me?
I'm asking because I really cannot put myself in the shoes of other people, it would be interesting to hear someone else's perspective.
I don't think you're weird at all.

One of the things I hate the most in this world is people judging certain attitudes of ours for never having been through the same. For example, I don't get along with my mother, I cut ties with her, and there are people who are shocked when they find out, they judge me and say: but there is only one mother, blah blah blah, family is family.

Well, things aren't always black and white. To me family is much more than shared blood ties. If my mother has always treated me badly and made my life hell, I have every right to want peace and to cut off relations. All she was, was precisely not being a mother.

The same for you. If you didn't grow up with your siblings and never had a close relationship with them you've every right to not want them to be a part of your life. By the way, even if you're close at some point, I think we've already dealt with too much so we should always make the decisions that we think are best for us and the last thing we need is drama and problems. It's your life so fuck it.

• Love
Reactions: Pluto, MellowAvenue, WonderingSoul and 1 other person
PinkSakura

PinkSakura

Rip Flower I'll never forget you </3 我想你花
Feb 8, 2021
I don't think you're weird at all.

One of the things I hate the most in this world is people judging certain attitudes of ours for never having been through the same. For example, I don't get along with my mother, I cut ties with her, and there are people who are shocked when they find out, they judge me and say: but there is only one mother, blah blah blah, family is family.

Well, things aren't always black and white. To me family is much more than shared blood ties. If my mother has always treated me badly and made my life hell, I have every right to want peace and to cut off relations. All she was, was precisely not being a mother.

The same for you. If you didn't grow up with your siblings and never had a close relationship with them you've every right to not want them to be a part of your life. By the way, even if you're close at some point, I think we've already dealt with too much so we should always make the decisions that we think are best for us and the last thing we need is drama and problems. It's your life so fuck it.
Thanks for your response, also I can relate. My mother abused me and I get treated like some natural born serial killer for not liking her lol

• Hugs
Reactions: onlyanimalsaregood and MellowAvenue
WonderingSoul

WonderingSoul

Gamer
Dec 15, 2021
I give no fucks about my entire family. I hate all of them because of how they treat me. I wish my parents never had siblings because she sucks. I only have 1 sibling, but that is already way too much because all we did when we were growing up is just fight each other. I feel the same and I don't think it's weird thinking this way. Some "family" or siblings just aren't compatible together.

• Love
Reactions: PinkSakura and MellowAvenue
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
Same. My sister is a colossal bitch, constantly judging and criticizing me, and imparting unsolicited "guidance." She blows up at me out of nowhere and then gaslights me by claiming I'm the unstable one. I'm done with idiots and hypocrites.

• Love
Reactions: PinkSakura, Lefty and MellowAvenue
MellowAvenue

MellowAvenue

👻
Nov 5, 2020
I feel differently but don't think you're weird at all. Really part of the reason me and my half-sister are as close as we are is because we recognize how toxic most of the rest of my father's half of the family actually is and want to be disconnected from it. Will admit though it's kinda frustrating for me when we talk about because I feel she doesn't REALLY realize how bad it actually was because she was raised by her mother's side. She heard about it sure, but that's different from being caught up in it.

Even still, I've pretty much cut off from all other living relatives not tied to her. It's not as uncommon as people think and it's often healthier than clinging onto family just because you share some genes.

• Love
Reactions: PinkSakura
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
I've copped a lot of flak over the years for not wanting to go anywhere near my parents. It seems that most people have a mental idea about how family 'should' be and feel uncomfortable when reality doesn't always match their expectation. They aren't even willing to consider that the parents do not deserve a relationship with former tormented children. I have enough on my plate trying endlessly to recover from their neglect and abuse.

That said, if I had any relatives that hadn't caused me harm, I would probably find the hope of actually having family enticing to at least look into. But that's just me; so long as you are being true to yourself, all is well.