• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

A

AutoTap

Elementalist
Nov 11, 2020
After I talk to my therapist, reality smacks me in the face and makes me even more hopeless at being able to be "normal" by societal standards.

I also am not getting better from therapy. The only thing helping me right now is meds and coping techniques that are not healthy according to my therapist. (Video games, sleeping, watching movies/tv with parents, and being super introvert etc.)

Well I can't help that I'm introverted and I've tried exposure therapy.. didn't work and that's what your suppose to do for anxiety. Okay, so next is psycho therapy... nope.. CBT.. that didn't work.. more exposure therapy and cbt? Well that's what I'm doing now and it's still not working..

Im fine with how I'm lifestyle my therapist is an extrovert and can't imagine how I'm okay with living this "non-fufilling lifestyle" but I find talking with online friends fun, playing video games fun, hanging out with my dogs, watching interesting things, and etc fun and enjoyable. Which means it is fulfilling for me.

Ive accepted that unless my anxiety somehow gets significantly better college is out of the question and working most likely is too.

idk if I can get disability though so I'm a bit worried about that. Also my parents and family will look down on me for "giving up" and not trying hard enough but whatever.

Life is hard for me. I get drained when socializing, leaving the house, driving, shopping, showering, and just so many basic things needed.

I live in a nice home with my own bedroom (my parents home) and would like to keep it that way as living by myself honestly seems scary. Having my parents and dogs there to support me and do the little things that I sometimes don't have the energy for like making food is nice.

idk just putting my thoughts out there makes me feel better a bit.
Just so frustrated and exhausted at my situation.

S

SanJunipero1

Apr 6, 2020
I offended but your therapist sounds like an arsehole. Sounds to me like you manage your shit as well as anyone can be expected to if you have things in your life that you get joy from and make life bearable.
Plus nothing you said is even remotely unhealthy.

Nemy

Nemy

Just trying to exist
Jul 31, 2020
You seem to feel guilty about being an introvert and I don't think you should. I was told that video games etc is an unhealthy escapism but if it is the only way for you to express yourself to others, it's already an improvement. You're socializing within your comfort zone which imo they're is nothing wrong with that. And you already mentioned that you went through exposure therapy and that you are taking steps to recovery. Personally I think you're doing great and you shouldn't fault yourself for other's lack of understanding instead feel proud of your own accomplishments. Anyways I'm sorry that you don't feel better after therapy but I'm glad you're trying despite your situation. Personally I am in a similar one and I relapse somedays but having connections to communities like these help me a lot. So thank you for sharing your story and it helped me as well.:heart:

M

MyStateKilledMe

Arcanist
Apr 23, 2020
Your biggest mistake is going to a therapist in the first place. Therapy isn't meant to fix your problems. It isn't even meant to make you feel better. It's just meant to make you feel better... about... NOT feeling better. Confused? Exactly!

Forget therapy! It's all a lie and sham! Go to a real doctor, not a woowoo talker. Anxiety is a biochemical issue, usually caused by high levels of cortisol, not something "in your mind". You can't talk it away with a few woowoo sessions. It requires medication, the very thing therapists will withhold from you, because it interferes with their income. Stay away from those losers!

Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

If boredom were a CTB method, I would be long gone
Sep 13, 2020
We share similarities.

If your therapist makes you feel worse, I'd find a new one, and in your initial session I'd explain what exactly hasn't worked for you in your past sessions and what you would prefer to see from therapy moving forward. Disclosures like these will assist a competent therapist to cut to the chase, IMO.

Frankly, I would keep up with all your coping strategies if the alternative is CTB, and any non brain dead therapist would agree with me, if they understood the reality of what you're up against.

My suggestion is not to allow others to define what a meaningful life is for you, and if your parents feel let down or whatever, then oh well. You are a product of their gene pool and their parenting, so they have some accountability in the matter.

Water-Lily

Water-Lily

Enlightened
Dec 26, 2020
After I talk to my therapist, reality smacks me in the face and makes me even more hopeless at being able to be "normal" by societal standards.

I also am not getting better from therapy. The only thing helping me right now is meds and coping techniques that are not healthy according to my therapist. (Video games, sleeping, watching movies/tv with parents, and being super introvert etc.)

Well I can't help that I'm introverted and I've tried exposure therapy.. didn't work and that's what your suppose to do for anxiety. Okay, so next is psycho therapy... nope.. CBT.. that didn't work.. more exposure therapy and cbt? Well that's what I'm doing now and it's still not working..

Im fine with how I'm lifestyle my therapist is an extrovert and can't imagine how I'm okay with living this "non-fufilling lifestyle" but I find talking with online friends fun, playing video games fun, hanging out with my dogs, watching interesting things, and etc fun and enjoyable. Which means it is fulfilling for me.

Ive accepted that unless my anxiety somehow gets significantly better college is out of the question and working most likely is too.

idk if I can get disability though so I'm a bit worried about that. Also my parents and family will look down on me for "giving up" and not trying hard enough but whatever.

Life is hard for me. I get drained when socializing, leaving the house, driving, shopping, showering, and just so many basic things needed.

I live in a nice home with my own bedroom (my parents home) and would like to keep it that way as living by myself honestly seems scary. Having my parents and dogs there to support me and do the little things that I sometimes don't have the energy for like making food is nice.

idk just putting my thoughts out there makes me feel better a bit.
Just so frustrated and exhausted at my situation.
I can relate to this and you are not alone. I still live with my dad and brother. My dad has his flaws but I feel comfortable with him usually. my brother is an arsenal with narcissistic behaviors which trigger me daily. overall though, like you I like staying at home. I like having my own room and my dad gives me money to do whatever I want. Moving out now is scary and I like my space even though I know it isn't healthy

I know it won't be forever however and I hope to start working after I graduate,