6ftunder

May 11, 2022
How is it that plants evolved knowing what animals would like to eat, and use them (animals) to spread their own seeds? For example apples.
I'm really confused about this.

Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, miserableforever, Al Cappella and 3 others
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
Ok, so I'm not a materialist but I'm versed on the basic evolutionary ideas they use to understand this type of thing.

They propose a chaotic world where intention doesn't exist behind biology but by natural selection it seems to exist. This means plants didn't evolve "knowing" that animals would eat their fruit and spread the seeds, but that those plants that by chance had the genes that produced seeds with something edible around would have much more success spreading their seeds and thus spreading their genes.

If someone is more educated in the evolutionary biology of apples feel free to correct or amplify what I said.

Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, No Entertainment, Al Cappella and 4 others
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
It can be easier to view this in broader terms. The earliest life forms about 4 billion years go were simple single-celled organisms that lived in the oceans. Over long periods, multi-cellular organisms evolved and the earliest 'animals' like sponges followed.

Most of the action in terms of diversity has happened since the Cambrian Explosion of 540 million years ago. The first fish managed to climb out of the water, land-based plant life proliferated and so on. The relationship between fruits and animals is one of many symbiotic mutualisms in the kingdom. From memory, there is even a plant whose nectar can only be accessed by the long bills of hummingbirds.

The basic concept is random mutations leading to improved success in terms of survival. We cannot specify exactly when a particular process initiated or how, just as there was no particular person to be the first modern human in our 200,000 year history. We can only describe events with precision if they involve our modern historical period.

Reactions: Al Cappella, Graham, Dead Ghost and 2 others
A

Alex6216

Mage
Apr 19, 2022
How is it that plants evolved knowing what animals would like to eat, and use them (animals) to spread their own seeds? For example apples.
I'm really confused about this.
They didnt evolve knowing. Evolution isnt some thinking being, it is just genetic mutations that get passed on.
For the apple, think of it less of the apple making itself relying on animals to spread seeds and more like this:
A plant, which we'll call plant A, has a random genetic mutation which causes one of its offspring/seed, which we'll call plant b, to be bigger than usual, it also is eaten by animals a lot more and they excrete it somewhere else allowing the plant to spread, because this mutation allows plant b to spread to a lot more places than plant a it becomes more common.
I am not going to say evolution is a 100% fact but this is the general basis, you can also research biology starting with high-school videos to college-tier teachings to get a better understanding

Reactions: Al Cappella, Graham and Un-
CrossroadsCurious

CrossroadsCurious

"Why do we do what we do?"
Dec 12, 2021
I don't understand why this thread was created...

• Yay!
Reactions: rationaltake

6ftunder

May 11, 2022
I don't understand why this thread was created...
To discuss something in the off-topic section.
I'm trying to get my head around evolution, which is why I have created two threads about it.

Reactions: Foresight
Al Cappella

Al Cappella

Are we there yet?
Feb 2, 2022
It's not really that plants "do" anything. After all, apple trees don't need anything to eat the apple to propagate, necessarily. Not like they do need bees. But bears (as an example) have to avoid starvation, and in times salmon aren't plentiful, a bear that can subsist by eating fruit also is more likely to survive. Then, as they wander and poop, apple trees spread throughout their habitat = win-win. It's the animal that can eat as great a variety of stuff that's better poised to survive in any habitat. Which includes us, btw.

Reactions: Dead Ghost
LucyB

LucyB

Cowards be like "be safe".... I be like "Be FREE"
May 7, 2022
None of what we have been taught about the world makes sense. People just don't question things. The amount of food in the grocery stores could never be produced by growing or farming or slautering animals. Gallons upon gallons of milk in every store that sells food. There are not enough nursing cows to produce an endless amount of milk for a population as huge as America. When you start to question what we have been told you see shit just don't add up.

Al Cappella

Al Cappella

Are we there yet?
Feb 2, 2022
None of what we have been taught about the world makes sense. People just don't question things. The amount of food in the grocery stores could never be produced by growing or farming or slautering animals. Gallons upon gallons of milk in every store that sells food. There are not enough nursing cows to produce an endless amount of milk for a population as huge as America. When you start to question what we have been told you see shit just don't add up.
What on earth are you on about? Just because you don't understand doesn't mean there's a mystery. You clearly have zero idea of how food/food products move around the world and in what quantities. And what's that got to do with evolution anyway?

Reactions: Un-
LucyB

LucyB

May 7, 2022
What on earth are you on about? Just because you don't understand doesn't mean there's a mystery. You clearly have zero idea of how food/food products move around the world and in what quantities. And what's that got to do with evolution anyway
Evolution is a lie like everything else. What you have been told about food production is not true that's my point. I gave milk as an example because to me its the most obvious. It's crazy how people can rationalize and defend things in this evil place that make absolutely no sense.

Al Cappella

Al Cappella

Are we there yet?
Feb 2, 2022
Evolution is a lie like everything else. What you have been told about food production is not true that's my point. I gave milk as an example because to me its the most obvious. It's crazy how people can rationalize and defend things in this evil place that make absolutely no sense.
What's crazy is that, in 2022, there is anybody still spewing ant-science nonsense. How they claim these amazing powers of "insight" no one else has. Yes, there's a milk conspiracy that proves evolution is not factual. Can you please point me in the direction of your giant, fantastic space nipple that dispenses all the milk in the world—I'm feeling like a milkshake…

Reactions: Alex6216 and Un-
LucyB

LucyB

May 7, 2022
What's crazy is that, in 2022, there is anybody still spewing ant-science nonsense. How they claim these amazing powers of "insight" no one else has. Yes, there's a milk conspiracy that proves evolution is not factual. Can you please point me in the direction of your giant, fantastic space nipple that dispenses all the milk in the world—I'm feeling like a milkshake…
It's hard to get past that human mechanism that prevents us from questioning our reality. I don't have amazing powers of insight but I set aside my emotions and ego and I don't accept everything that I'm told. Science is a joke btw

6ftunder

May 11, 2022
@LucyB @Al Cappella

Let's be kind and not argue please. Wouldn't want to cry over spilt milk....

• Yay!
  • Hugs
Reactions: rationaltake, Foresight, Dead Ghost and 3 others
LucyB

LucyB

May 7, 2022
No arguing here. Just trying to get people to think and question 🤗

• Hugs
Reactions: GentleJerk

6ftunder

May 11, 2022
Do we know what was the last animal that evolved?

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018

The fruit fly? Or is that apples to oranges?
This shit is bananas. Okay I'm leaving.

Last edited:
Reactions: Foresight
GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
The only guy who truly understands apples is this guy right here.

220px Johnny Appleseed 1

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: whatevs
A

Alex6216

Mage
Apr 19, 2022
You think milk's grown in a lab or do you think milk is from multiple different mammals rather than just cows?

Y

YourNeighbor

Arcanist
Jul 22, 2021
This is a somewhat nonsensical question. I'm not saying that in a rude sense.

All animals around now have been evolving for the same amount of time. No animal is born in vacuum. Some have been evolving more rapidly in recent times, some more slowly. Evolution tends to occur fastest in geographically isolated places subject to significant environmental changes (i.e. evolutionary pressures), so you may look there to see examples of fastest evolution/most recent species to diverge from their ancestors.

P.S. Apples as we know them are the product of many years of selective breeding, not just natural selection, as are most food crops and livestock. So there is that to keep in mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yakamoz, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Dead Ghost and 2 others
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
You think milk's grown in a lab or do you think milk is from multiple different mammals rather than just cows?
Milk is an holographic projection from the moon. Reptilians are using that to disguise what we REALLY are drinking. Do your own research, I have said enough.
The only guy who truly understands apples is this guy right here.

View attachment 93258
GentleJerk gently checking on his marijuana plants.

• Yay!
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Dead Ghost, Al Cappella and 2 others
GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: Symbiote, rationaltake, Foresight and 1 other person

6ftunder

May 11, 2022
P.S. Apples as we know them are the product of many years of selective breeding, not just natural selection, as are most food crops and livestock. So there is that to keep in mind.

I did have a feeling this might be the case.
I once saw a video on YouTube (below) about a sheep that hadn't had a haircut in years. But it didn't naturally malt and so it was wandering around looking like a massive cotton ball with legs.
Evolution wouldn't happen in such a way to disable animals like that.

Reactions: Al Cappella
LucyB

LucyB

May 7, 2022
I think we live in a fluid reality where things are not concrete (real).It's something similar to a video game or a dream. Pretty much like what we know as virtual reality. So milk doesn't have to be produced by any known human means. I don't know how they get it but they are not milking millions of cows each day or any other kind of animal.

Reactions: Graham
Al Cappella

Al Cappella

Are we there yet?
Feb 2, 2022
Reactions: Smart No More and Alex6216
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
Apples don't understand you, either.

Actually if you study natural selection and evolution it's not that complicated- random genetic mutations create advantages for survival and so they persist in the species- all part of the wonder of this crappy universe, which I seriously wish would self-destruct.

Graham

Graham

Student
May 28, 2022
To discuss something in the off-topic section.
I'm trying to get my head around evolution, which is why I have created two threads about it.

It's an unusual and interesting discussion

Reactions: Foresight, 6ftunder, Al Cappella and 1 other person

6ftunder

May 11, 2022
The fundamental thing I think I'm having problems with is this tbh:

An animal can't evolve while it is alive because that would mean evolving into a new animal.
Evolution doesn't work like in Pokemon.
Instead, I think I understand that animals evolve 'between' generations.

But how can an animal evolve while it's dead?

Y

YourNeighbor

Arcanist
Jul 22, 2021
The fundamental thing I think I'm having problems with is this tbh:

An animal can't evolve while it is alive because that would mean evolving into a new animal.
Evolution doesn't work like in Pokemon.
Instead, I think I understand that animals evolve 'between' generations.

But how can an animal evolve while it's dead?
Individual animals do not evolve. The species, or subpopulations of it, do.