N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I cannot understand some opinions in this forum. I don't relate to them and I think that is fine. One can disagree on things and still tolerate each other. This thread is no attack to anyone in this forum. Some notions just don't reflect my personal logic in some ways. At least in the way how I think about and perceive life.

I think life probably/maybe (?) has an inherent value. (which does not mean this is an absolute reason against suicide though. Not even a good argument for procreating) Moreover I don't think life is inherently bad, awful or horrible. I can understand how one can come to this conclusion. But for me life (as a general term) is different.

I see this with my friends. They love life, they don't want to die, they don't experience severe struggle/worries all day. And I just really really envy that. One could argue maybe to a certain degree they might have a positivity bias. In order for healthy people to go on living it is easier to fade out all the negativity in life. I think many people tend to such a behavior. Though I am only a layman I have read arguments for negativity and positivity biases. I mean both could be true. I am not 100% certain on it. Maybe it depends on the context. I know many people are saying they avoid watching news because it makes them sad. And with this example it seems clear for me that some/many (?) people try to fade out negative facts on reality. It is more comfortable for them. I see this in threads when people say friends have abandoned them for example due to a suicide attempt. And I have read about such a behavior quite often in this forum it is heartbreaking.

Though I don't think life is inherently and objectively bad for all humans on this planet. And exactly this fact (or my personal notion of reality) contributes a lot to my suffering. If all people had such a fucked up life like me I would not feel so devastated. If life was completely worthless and could not be positive in any way suicide would probably be way easier for me. If this was true that life was inherently horrible I would feel better. It would comfort me. Maybe - paradoxically - it would make my pain less horrible.

I think one reason why I suffer this much is the fact how I experience that other people enjoy their life. I don't think they are delusional and even if they were I would still envy them a lot. One reason why I am so fucking sad and so fucking troubled is the fact that (in my view) you have only one life. One chance. And this makes life in some sense special. Okay maybe I am not fully convinced about the last point but for the dramaturgy of this post it seemed to fit. I can remember the first time when I had major depression. This notion you only have one life and only one chance it made feel very horrible. I hate my life (in many ways) and I really wish I could enjoy it. It made me heartbroken knowing my one chance might be forever ruined. If life would be for everyone equally horrible this would have comforted me.

I think one reason for that is I compare myself with other people. This is why instagram makes me so depressive. I envy people for having a good life. If I knew they all would get tortured like me my life would be way easier. For example my bullies. I wished their life was a horrible existence, full of pain and agony, meaningless suffering 24/7 without any relief. Though the thing is reality is different for them. They were not damaged by the bullying I am the one who is damaged. I wished these people would only deteriorate, live in misery, having an awful existence, facing their cruel hell, and getting tortured alive. Maybe I sound kind resentful by saying this but I think you get what I want to say. (disclaimer: I would never try to hurt them in a revenge attack for example. I have way enough problems and I don't need more stress in my life. Something like that (vigilante justice) backfires usually.)

Maybe this is going to happen when they become old or they have a traffic accident or something like that. This is possible. But it rather is unlikely. I think the more likely scenario is they enjoy their life for many decades, go on with partners, good paid jobs, sex, good food, parties etc. I don't want to paint their life as perfect. Maybe they have their personal struggles. But I think statistically the majority of people in Germany have a good life quality (especially compared to my life quality).
The average person does not face horrible pain every single day. This is what I am facing on a daily basis.

I think speaking in relative terms this would make my suffering even less dramatic and unfair. My suffering is so horrible because the people who abused me got away with no punishment. This is for me the cruel reality. I am the one writing, venting and crying daily in an online suicide forum. If life would be absolutely meaningless and inherently awful I would not cling so much to it. There is still this little hope in me. My life might improve. When I see people in college how they laugh, talk about their fun lives, sex, tasty food I am feeling very bad. I try to get a glimpse of the way how they think about life. These people seem to struggle way less, they seem to have found something that makes their life worth living. They are not so fucking desperate about their existence.
I try to learn from them. But I am still caged in this fucking prison which is my tormenting consciousness.

To sum up my main points. I don't think life is nightmarish and hellish for everyone. My personal suffering would be way less relevant and significant. People help me because they know that I am deeply troubled. Some of them show empathy because they know how hard my life is (compared to their life). My pain would be way less significant if life would be for all people a pain in the ass. My personal story would contain way less tragedy and injustice if my bullies were in a similar condition like me. Though I think this does not reflect reality. They enjoy life and I am the one imprisoned. Probably my "one chance" for an happy end is ruined forever. Others will never experience the pain that I am facing on a daily basis.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: thankyouforthis, Lostandlooking, freedompass and 1 other person
jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
I don't think life is inherently valuable. It depends on what a person experiences. But I believe most people can recover with time and effort. My requirements for CTB are lower than in Switzerland even, so I'm pro-choice without a doubt. People have the nerve to call me pro-life in an insulting way and I don't like it one bit. I believe I have a very balanced, tolerant, understanding view. But I guess people have different opinions. Some people think it makes sense to CTB on a whim. I don't. But if suffering is incurable or definitely long standing, that's when CTB makes sense to me. Young people seem to have little tolerance for things and want to CTB willy billy, I don't think they should be allowed to do that, they have little concept of what it takes to recover

Reactions: Celerity
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I don't think life is inherently valuable. It depends on what a person experiences. But I believe most people can recover with time and effort. My requirements for CTB are lower than in Switzerland even, so I'm pro-choice without a doubt. People have the nerve to call me pro-life in an insulting way and I don't like it one bit. I believe I have a very balanced, tolerant, understanding view. But I guess people have different opinions. Some people think it makes sense to CTB on a whim. I don't. But if suffering is incurable or definitely long standing, that's when CTB makes sense to me. Young people seem to have little tolerance for things and want to CTB willy billy, I don't think they should be allowed to do that, they have little concept of what it takes to recover
I have one problem when one says human life has no value. This could imply you can torture and slaughter them without doing something bad. Because their life would have no value anyway.

Crimes against humanity would not mean anything anymore.

Last edited:
jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
I have one problem when one says human life has no value. This could imply you can torture and slaughter them without doing something bad. Because their life would have no value anyway.
Torture is always, always wrong! And I don't think slaughtering people is wrong if they're miserable and have zero hope of recovery. But otherwise it's wrong. Life isn't valuable by itself, it needs to have good content

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Torture is always, always wrong! And I don't think slaughtering people is wrong if they're miserable and have zero hope of recovery. But otherwise it's wrong. Life isn't valuable by itself, it needs to have good content
I think it probably depends on the person to decide whether one's life has value.

I emphasize that I think one can still decide for suicide despite the fact one thinks their life has value.

I don't consider that a contradiction. One can say my life had value, still has value but the pain is too much and this is why I commit suicide.
I don't see this as a dichotomy. But I know my take on this is rather unusual.

For example my life has a certain value and this is why I deny letting the agony torturing me. This is why I decide for suicide.

Last edited:
Reactions: katagiri83 and jodes2
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I personally don't believe in any of the 'life is a gift' type stuff. Life truly is such a horrific thing and shouldn't be glorified in any way. The existence of life really is so tragic, I mean it's awful how life evolved in such a way so that all this unnecessary torment continues to exist in this world. We would all had been better off without being here, as life itself is the cause of all problems. Those that never exist never have any desire or need for anything. All that life is, is just an useless concept focused on the fulfilment of endless needs, it's such a burden and there is nothing fair about this life in every single way.

The truth is that at any moment life could get so much worse for absolutely anyone and cause them to suffer to a great extent. There is no limit as to how horrific life can get, so therefore continuing to exist is the ultimate risk. And you don't know that those people actually have a 'good' life. We only see what others want us to see, we cannot know the true reality of how they experience life. And at the end of the day we only exist just to reach a very old age and deteriorate. This is inevitable for all human beings if they stay alive long enough. Old age is something horrific and incredibly disturbing to me and it's totally irrational to wish to experience that. Those who die are lucky as they lose the capacity to suffer but also lose the ability to mourn for what they were leaving behind in life if they wished to be here for some reason. So therefore non existence is ideal.
And also everyone should be allowed to ctb exactly when they want to.

Last edited:
Chinaski

Chinaski

Arthur Scargill appreciator
Sep 1, 2018
  • Love
Reactions: rationaltake and actual_fox
actual_fox

actual_fox

Arcanist
Sep 15, 2022
This is why instagram makes me so depressive.
I regularly block people who are in relationship on facebook so I do not see their posts. I also do not have any other social media. Life hack If you are forever alone type.

Reactions: Disappointered
freedompass

freedompass

Warlock
Jan 27, 2021
I cannot understand some opinions in this forum. I don't relate to them and I think that is fine. One can disagree on things and still tolerate each other. This thread is no attack to anyone in this forum. Some notions just don't reflect my personal logic in some ways. At least in the way how I think about and perceive life.

I think life probably/maybe (?) has an inherent value. (which does not mean this is an absolute reason against suicide though. Not even a good argument for procreating) Moreover I don't think life is inherently bad, awful or horrible. I can understand how one can come to this conclusion. But for me life (as a general term) is different.

I see this with my friends. They love life, they don't want to die, they don't experience severe struggle/worries all day. And I just really really envy that. One could argue maybe to a certain degree they might have a positivity bias. In order for healthy people to go on living it is easier to fade out all the negativity in life. I think many people tend to such a behavior. Though I am only a layman I have read arguments for negativity and positivity biases. I mean both could be true. I am not 100% certain on it. Maybe it depends on the context. I know many people are saying they avoid watching news because it makes them sad. And with this example it seems clear for me that some/many (?) people try to fade out negative facts on reality. It is more comfortable for them. I see this in threads when people say friends have abandoned them for example due to a suicide attempt. And I have read about such a behavior quite often in this forum it is heartbreaking.

Though I don't think life is inherently and objectively bad for all humans on this planet. And exactly this fact (or my personal notion of reality) contributes a lot to my suffering. If all people had such a fucked up life like me I would not feel so devastated. If life was completely worthless and could not be positive in any way suicide would probably be way easier for me. If this was true that life was inherently horrible I would feel better. It would comfort me. Maybe - paradoxically - it would make my pain less horrible.

I think one reason why I suffer this much is the fact how I experience that other people enjoy their life. I don't think they are delusional and even if they were I would still envy them a lot. One reason why I am so fucking sad and so fucking troubled is the fact that (in my view) you have only one life. One chance. And this makes life in some sense special. Okay maybe I am not fully convinced about the last point but for the dramaturgy of this post it seemed to fit. I can remember the first time when I had major depression. This notion you only have one life and only one chance it made feel very horrible. I hate my life (in many ways) and I really wish I could enjoy it. It made me heartbroken knowing my one chance might be forever ruined. If life would be for everyone equally horrible this would have comforted me.

I think one reason for that is I compare myself with other people. This is why instagram makes me so depressive. I envy people for having a good life. If I knew they all would get tortured like me my life would be way easier. For example my bullies. I wished their life was a horrible existence, full of pain and agony, meaningless suffering 24/7 without any relief. Though the thing is reality is different for them. They were not damaged by the bullying I am the one who is damaged. I wished these people would only deteriorate, live in misery, having an awful existence, facing their cruel hell, and getting tortured alive. Maybe I sound kind resentful by saying this but I think you get what I want to say. (disclaimer: I would never try to hurt them in a revenge attack for example. I have way enough problems and I don't need more stress in my life. Something like that (vigilante justice) backfires usually.)

Maybe this is going to happen when they become old or they have a traffic accident or something like that. This is possible. But it rather is unlikely. I think the more likely scenario is they enjoy their life for many decades, go on with partners, good paid jobs, sex, good food, parties etc. I don't want to paint their life as perfect. Maybe they have their personal struggles. But I think statistically the majority of people in Germany have a good life quality (especially compared to my life quality).
The average person does not face horrible pain every single day. This is what I am facing on a daily basis.

I think speaking in relative terms this would make my suffering even less dramatic and unfair. My suffering is so horrible because the people who abused me got away with no punishment. This is for me the cruel reality. I am the one writing, venting and crying daily in an online suicide forum. If life would be absolutely meaningless and inherently awful I would not cling so much to it. There is still this little hope in me. My life might improve. When I see people in college how they laugh, talk about their fun lives, sex, tasty food I am feeling very bad. I try to get a glimpse of the way how they think about life. These people seem to struggle way less, they seem to have found something that makes their life worth living. They are not so fucking desperate about their existence.
I try to learn from them. But I am still caged in this fucking prison which is my tormenting consciousness.

To sum up my main points. I don't think life is nightmarish and hellish for everyone. My personal suffering would be way less relevant and significant. People help me because they know that I am deeply troubled. Some of them show empathy because they know how hard my life is (compared to their life). My pain would be way less significant if life would be for all people a pain in the ass. My personal story would contain way less tragedy and injustice if my bullies were in a similar condition like me. Though I think this does not reflect reality. They enjoy life and I am the one imprisoned. Probably my "one chance" for an happy end is ruined forever. Others will never experience the pain that I am facing on a daily basis.
You make some very valid points. It is natural to grieve the 'loss' of what could have been a good life. Seeing others enjoying what you are deprived of is legitimately a source of great pain, maybe the main source even. It's fine to acknowledge that. Let's not be hypocrites and say we're happy for them lol. Doesn't work like that.

I hate that you feel this way, hate that you were bullied, I just flat out hate suffering and injustice. I also hate that you didn't get a more enthusiastic response for this post hence me bumping it.

Assholes get protection, rewards and 'likes'. Genuine, thoughtful, respectful people like you are ignored or kicked to the kerb. There's no asylum anywhere especially a suicide forum.

Regarding whether life can be considered a good in itself. I'm a way older person and honestly I find that is relevant to my perspective and can't be ignored or glossed over. At your age (you're in your 20's right?) I was lurching from one crisis to the next, mostly in survival mode, undiagnosed mental health problems and all. Suicide was not much on my radar back then as far as I can recall. At least not serious researching, planning etc.

All of that is just a disclaimer because I recognise that you are at the start while I am maybe 3 quarters through so what affects you most and how it feels may be quite different. As I see it 'life' is a neutral concept which has only the meaning or value we as individuals ascribe to it. And, for me, the fact that bullying such as you experienced, child abuse, mental illness, cruelty and injustice of all kinds are happening to people all over the planet, constantly, makes me a lot less invested in the idea of life as something enviable or that I should regret missing out on. Which in turn means I do not envy others. I have in the past but I don't now. I am way more at peace so oddly becoming disillusioned, disengaged or even jaded with this world (for good reason) has helped if that makes sense.

Anyway. I simply wanted to acknowledge and show appreciation for your quiet, soothing, reflective posts of which this is one of the best yet imho and was something I needed to hear and think about. I look forward to reading many more.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: noname223, Celerity and Lostandlooking