N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
As in other cases I agree a lot with David Foster Wallace. And I already had this view on it before I read his literature but A Supposedly Fun thing that I'll Never Do Again perfectly sums it up in some aspects.

The story is about spending vacation on a luxury cruiser. There are many paradoxical things on such a tour. We all want to relax during vacation but exactly this is stressing us. We all have the feeling it must be perfect. Everything has to be planned in detail. Nothing should go wrong. For example in my country the airports have too less workers. The passengers wait extremely long for their flight. Is this really relaxing? I rather have the feeling they are stressed and frustrated. Because we all of this idealized notion of a holiday trip. Personally I spend my holidays surfing through the internet, playing video games, watching animes and reading books. But other people want to experience something exceptional. They pressure themselves to reach their aim. I find that kind of counterproductive. I think people who work hard and earn a lot of money also want to experience luxury. In order to prove themselves that they deserve it. Honestly I think some of these people are hypocrites who usually virtue-signal about climate change and then they allow themselves to feel good. Because they deserve it and everyone who questions such a behavior is a moaner.

I always hated to travel tourism spots even as a child. But my family always demanded it. Maybe it is good that I dislike it because I probably would not have money for such things. It feels superficial for me to visit tourism spots. Most tourists don't behave well, leave a lot of garbage and then there is the economy which wants to profit from the greed of an ignorant mass.

Moreover I extremely hate to spend time on water. I always have fantasies how I could drown myself when I am on water. It feels really uncomfortable. But this is only a side note because DFW wrote about cruise ships. I could go more into details but I don't have much energy left.

Thanks for reading it. What do you think about it and what is your notion of a perfect holiday time?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lost in a Dream
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
As in other cases I agree a lot with David Foster Wallace. And I already had this view on it before I read his literature but A Supposedly Fun thing that I'll Never Do Again perfectly sums it up in some aspects.

The story is about spending vacation on a luxury cruiser. There are many paradoxical things on such a tour. We all want to relax during vacation but exactly this is stressing us. We all have the feeling it must be perfect. Everything has to be planned in detail. Nothing should go wrong. For example in my country the airports have too less workers. The passengers wait extremely long for their flight. Is this really relaxing? I rather have the feeling they are stressed and frustrated. Because we all of this idealized notion of a holiday trip. Personally I spend my holidays surfing through the internet, playing video games, watching animes and reading books. But other people want to experience something exceptional. They pressure themselves to reach their aim. I find that kind of counterproductive. I think people who work hard and earn a lot of money also want to experience luxury. In order to prove themselves that they deserve it. Honestly I think some of these people are hypocrites who usually virtue-signal about climate change and then they allow themselves to feel good. Because they deserve it and everyone who questions such a behavior is a moaner.

I always hated to travel tourism spots even as a child. But my family always demanded it. Maybe it is good that I dislike it because I probably would not have money for such things. It feels superficial for me to visit tourism spots. Most tourists don't behave well, leave a lot of garbage and then there is the economy which wants to profit from the greed of an ignorant mass.

Moreover I extremely hate to spend time on water. I always have fantasies how I could drown myself when I am on water. It feels really uncomfortable. But this is only a side note because DFW wrote about cruise ships. I could go more into details but I don't have much energy left.

Thanks for reading it. What do you think about it and what is your notion of a perfect holiday time?

What you are describing sounds mostly like social pressure, which means that those people who take a cruise trip and similar don't want to confront the question "oh, really - so you didn't do anything special this summer?", when they tell their friends or colleagues about their summer vacation.

However, there are probably people who enjoy such trips, too - they could be seen as some kind of adventure.

In general, one shouldn't compare one's own vacation trips to what other people have done - especially not through social media. It's perfectly good enough to spend one's off-work time at home.

Reactions: Lost in a Dream
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
It sounds awful being stuck on a cruise. There would be that horrible trapped feeling as you are basically stuck on there and it also sounds claustrophobic. In general I could never enjoy living at all, and the thought of having to travel anywhere fills me with dread.

• Hugs
Reactions: Suicidebydeath