N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I think many/some people here share a love for animals or their pets. Due to the fact they were disappointed by humans they feel like animals are more pure and cannot be inherently evil. I never had a very close bond to an animal.

Here comes the story. I had a cat and some fishes as a child. My mom abused me as a child and well she sort of abused my cat too. Not as much as me but I can remember one time she kicked my cat. He bit me prior to that though. But there were other occasions where she did not treat my pets well. She gave our fishes way too much food the same did she with me. I was bullied at school for it. And I have to say retrospectively I think my fishes were pretty obese and they did not look good at all. I am scared that my pets must have been tormented prior to their death. I kind of have to relate to that. I kind of compare their lives to the life of mine because I could imagine both was full of misery.

I have a guilty conscience because I could not help them to that time. This is why I don't want to have any pets anymore. I feel like a failure for not being able to protect them but I was a child. Maybe that seems a little bit dramatic. But there are more reasons.

I watched the news and they said more and more families give their pets away. They said most people don't want to save money from their own needs. Instead they give away their pets which shows their first priorities. I think having pets is a huge responsiblity. In some ways you have to dedicate your time for them. And I think I cannot do that. I cannot even handle my own life. I am dependent on my family. I don't feel I should be responsible for anything. I am a failure. Moreover the lack of money is one of my main issues. And well if I had a pet I would want for it to have a good life. And I don't think I could deliver that.

It is similar to some thoughts of mine about procreation. You better should be able to manage your own shit if you have responsibility for another being.

Furthermore I have some antinatalist thoughts about animals. Statistically millions of animals get slaughtered by humans. I think maybe being an animal is not that good if you have to face us humans. We are higher in the hierachy. And we sort of abuse our power. I am not sure about the statistics. But being an animal can suck too. Like the chick which get shredded shortly after their birth. I am kind of sad for the animals. I am sad that my cat came into existence and that it had the bad luck to come to my family. Animals make me sort of sad. The animal kingdom seems to be a brutal place to be in. It is in some instances pure darwinsm. There are mother insects that eat their own babies etc.

We humans at least pretend to have human rights. But I think animal rights are even less respected.

This sounds like pure empathy for animals. But there are other less innocent aspects. I don't really feel like an animal could understand me like a human could. Some pets are good at sensing the feelings of humans. Maybe I had not enough contact to animals for knowing what that feels like. I am also anxious about animals. I am often even anxious about dogs. I sometimes read that all of a sudden a dog brutally mangeled their owners. I know this is rather a problem with certain races. But such stories still scare me which is sort of irrational. I think I lack the ability to comprehend animals on a deeper and I cannot judge well in which mood they are. All these thoughts would probably be completely different in case I had different experiences with more animals. The animals from my childhood I can remember looked all so sad.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Sweet Tart, BurgundySnap and Brown-Jacket Revy
Brown-Jacket Revy

Brown-Jacket Revy

Waste
Jul 10, 2023
I've never really been passionate about animals, either.

Especially within the misanthrope/pessimist community, I've always scoffed at people who seem to place animals far above humans.

Yes, dogs can be wonderful, and cats can be amusing, and many animals are adorable, but they can also be just as merciless and subject to primality as everything else.

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
I don't have any pets for similar reasons. I don't trust myself and am not stable, plus I don't eat meat so it would be weird to have an animal who does. I do feel a close love of most animals, though, and take opportunities to spend time with them.

• Hugs
Reactions: ChronicallyCynical and Sweet Tart
W

Werewolf.

Student
May 28, 2021
It's simple. Animals haven't hurt me, people have. Animals didn't break my heart, people have. It's pretty easy for me, I love animals. If an animal does hurt me, it's only because they don't know any better, unlike people who knowingly hurt you. If I had to choose between saving the animal kingdom or mankind. The choice is easier than choosing between strawberry-flavored ice cream or mango-flavored ice cream: I'm saving the animal kingdom.

• Love
Reactions: ChronicallyCynical, Amelie, StolenLife and 2 others
H

H.O.Xan

Experienced
Feb 1, 2023
Don't particularly like animals except the ferocious ones. Snakes, bears, tigers

P

pinemarten

Aug 18, 2023
And well if I had a pet I would want for it to have a good life. And I don't think I could deliver that.

It is similar to some thoughts of mine about procreation. You better should be able to manage your own shit if you have responsibility for another being.

It doesn't sound like you have any shortage of love for animals to me. I think the person who really appreciates the responsibility that having pets entails, but who may not even have pets of their own, cares more than the person who has pets and neglects them; people who will get a dog then not get off their arse to take it for walks, play with it or cut its nails. What gets me is that the animals cannot help themselves, they're basically held hostage, yet they sometimes have an overseer who has the brain power (but apparently not the empathy) to ensure the animal's needs are met.

It's the same, worse even, for people having children despite not having the first clue how to raise them or employ basic empathy. Somehow it feels worse with animals and pets, maybe because people eventually reach a stage where they can rationalise their own thoughts and have agency to remove themselves from the situation. Although perhaps it is worse for people due to the depth of emotion people can feel and the severity of the consequences of 'raising' a person without empathy.

• Love
Reactions: ChronicallyCynical and noname223