Student
Aug 23, 2019
I've been mentally ill since I was 5, severely since I was 12, disabling since I was 19. I'm 25 now. I started smoking weed once in a while when I was 19 and it was a god send for me at a time when my life was spiraling into nothing. I kept it at maybe 2-3 times a month until late 2019 (around the time I joined this site, ha!). I was 21, hitting year 9 of my father's emotional abuse/neglect cycle, knowing I had to cut him off or I was going to end my life, and then I had a 6 week long manic episode. The last 2 weeks of September and all of October 2019 I slept maybe 35 hours total. I was fully psychotic by Halloween, when I finally got prescribed Haldol and it brought me down.

I then crashed into the worst depression I had ever experienced (until now) and started smoking every day. Then the pandemic only made it worse. I started using edibles to get high every single day in March of 2020. It helped for a while. It gave me a few hours out of the day where I didn't have to think about how shitty my life was. I was always told you couldn't get addicted to weed, so I wasn't worried about it at all.

I finally cut off my dad in August of 2020. 2021 was the best year of my entire life. My tolerance stayed the same until late 2021, when I noticed it was getting harder and harder to get high on the same amount. I realized I had a problem in June 2022 when homemade edibles that literally every other stoner in my group only needed a bite of to be on the moon weren't getting me high. And I was eating more than 1 entire cookie. I can eat 1800mg+ edibles and not feel anything. I literally can't get high anymore no matter what I do because my endocannabinoid system is so over saturated.

I've been trying to stop since April of this year but I genuinely feel like ripping my skin off when I don't have weed in my system. I don't feel the high anymore but it's like a medication, I need it in my system to function. This addiction started because I was so depressed I couldn't cope with breathing anymore, and now I'm right back where I started with no recourse on what to do next. all of the very little money I have goes to edibles. All I think about is getting high. I'm stopping today until Christmas but i honestly don't know if I'm going to survive it. Nobody around me understands because they all smoke every day and are fine. They're also not sick in the head like I am, so. Lucky them. I'm so tired of having this downplayed because it's "just weed". I feel so much shame and guilt every moment of the day for letting it get this bad, but I just didn't know. Nobody told me this could happen. If I had known I might've been smarter. Who knows, at least I could properly blame myself if I had known.

• Love
Reactions: Teleftaía Anapnoí and iwkmlol
C

chronicpain123

Nov 7, 2023
I know exactly how you feel, I smoked weed every single day for about 12 years every single day/night just all the time. People say weed isnt addicting n this n that but they obviously have never done it for a prolonged amount of time.. I quit smoking weed a little over a month ago and I had crazy nightmares, hot/cold flashes, feeling very shitty for quite a bit. But it does get better after some time you just gotta bite the bullet and get it over with. Even if only for a tolerance reset which can also take a while. It was ruining my financially and I wanna start saving money instead of blowing it on weed. But weed was one of the only things that would give me peace of mind n help w my extreme itchyness cuz my mind would get lost into something else so I wouldnt think about it. Yeah its very hard but youre not alone on your journey! Dont let your friends influence you though.

Have a good evening/night

• Love
Reactions: iwkmlol
I

iwkmlol

Nov 7, 2023
i am currently trapped in a weed dependency since i was 16 i feel your pain, im so sorry this shit is so frustrating.
i remember first using weed and it changed my life. it was like a life changing spiritual experience. nowadays i can't even get out of my bed without it. i can, but being sober makes me so extremely suicidal, I haven't been sober in years but whenever i run out of money i go batshit. I hope things get better for you mate stay strong